Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2019, 06:47 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Post Electric gate valves using Drainmaster powered gates

Along with C.Martin, my enabler, I too decided to install an electric dump system. I looked into this a year ago and based on the challenges, my newness to mods and RV'ing, I opted it wasn't the right time for me and I have no problems with the current T-handle system, rain, slides, stinky slinky, etc. As with many mods I do, it's about learning the capabilities of RV systems and exploring the options out there. Last December I had HWH Active Air installed, a pure luxury item, not a necessity, simply to see what it's all about and enjoy a hi-line feature in an entry point DP. At that time I decided to get a Sani-con and see what it's all about, and recently sometime around Dec/Jan Charlie brought up the electric gate valves and of course I joked about Alexa, etc. So we sorta had a challenge and I proceeded as Charlie somehow always leads me to do. Note - I will never go bunji jumping with Charlie or skydiving. I'll end up out the plane while he laughs! Not happening!

Charlie and I discussed the various systems out there from Drainmaster, Barker, Valterra and whoever else. Knowing my T-Handles weren't always the easiest to pull or stow I couldn't see a motorized system pushing or pulling the T-handle working very well so I went with the dedicated system by Drainmaster. Charlie just posted about his install with the Barker setup and going wireless, click here to read his story of this "adventure."

In my research of Drainmaster it appears they came out with a newer system since I last looked. The S2VT. So I called and spoke with them and confirmed what I needed knowing Newmar uses a 3" black and a smaller size (1.5") for gray. They sell the reducer to work with their system on 1.5" plumbing.

My project was a bit more broad than just the electric gate valves, it involved enhancing the wet bay following the acquisition of a Sani-con Turbo 400S as recommended by Thetford. That is a saga in itself that started in January from wiring, to plumbing, to pump orientation, pump level vs. sewer outlet level, what a situation. So I made a decision like others to add another exit hole in the bottom of the wet bay so I could bayonet attach the sanicon which has the hose going left so I needed a port left of the existing hole. I also wanted to secure the water pump as it can vibrate and make more noise and then add vibration dampening to get the remco water pump as quiet as possible. That all worked great, you can hear the water pump so you know it's running but it's subtle - perfect! I also took the opportunity with the wet bay panel off to get new SeeLevel sensor strips installed as they sucked on the pegboard side. Later learning the tank design reveals why, pegboard side is not the right place for tank sensors! Lastly, I added soap dispensers to the master bath and kitchen sinks.

Time to remove the wet bay panel and that wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and many thanks to those here that helped such as finding out the black valve levers pop off and how to remove pex crimps with heavy duty cutters. Fast forward, it was a whole lot easier taking off then putting a brand new one ($230 by the way) back on.

So now it's planning time, where is everything going? How does this 1.5 inch reducer work and where does it go? The instructions say you need a 2 inch section to install it in. Only problem is the entire plumbing path from gray to gate is curves (elbows). So a phone call to Drainmaster and now I'm contacted back by Doug, the owner. Doug was outstanding throughout this entire month long mod helping solve many problems encountered, more challenges then problems and outstanding advice along the way. I sent him a few pictures of the Newmar plumbing and we took a close look at the connection to the gray tank, he realized it's threaded, not ABS glued. Many of us have heard about tanks being removed from coaches, Newmar was smart enough to install tanks in a way that they could remove them. I've never done plumbing before whether PVC or ABS. Quite frankly, it was a neat learning experience, ABS glue is awesome stuff!

Poor Joe Gentry at Newmar parts handling my daily call for more stuff. The parts team sent me the plumbing parts that go from black to the gate so I could mirror the black plumbing on gray. I asked several at Newmar and got handed off to some people I've never heard of there to try and answer my question: Is the gray plumbing glued or removable? I got both answers so this was going to be a huge risk but I really believed it was not glued. How are you going to tell? You can remove the gray plumbing at the gate but then what? You can just take a saw to the pipe as you're then in a point of no return. So I disconnected at the gate and then gently rotated the pipe realizing the torque you're going to get with that long moment arm, it rotated! Out came the saw, pipe cut and sure enough the fitting unscrewed. Aaaah!

Doug suggested I use a coupler to give flexibility in fitting the plumbing and also it will help when the time comes to replace the seals in the gates (yes people, you may have to do that someday). He had great advice, start with black and work your way to gray so you don't try to meet in the middle. Worked like a charm.

Next up is the electrical. HUGE thanks to my electrical engineers and wiring coaches Stuart W and C.Martin. I chatted a bit with Stuart on where to mount the switches inside the coach. Ideally I'd like them to be under the bedroom TV so I could dump while looking out the window making sure nothing tragic is occurring while dumping without monitoring the process. The next best location would be where the bedroom slide button is, can I find a path into that wall from below? While I do know how to run wires into the FWS the two phone cord (RJ11) wires with IP66 (or whatever) water tight fittings on the end was not something I wanted to do so FWS was out. Stuart mentioned a common location is under the half bath sink by following the black tank rinse lines up and in. I thought of that but that's not an ideal location, it's cramped, you have to look around the door below the sink in my floor plan's orientation, how about the half bath fuse panel area. Yeah, that's where I want it. I know the path across the tanks and I really didn't want to remove the pegboard again but so be it, off it came. Long story short, I could not find my way up into the half bath so that's out. Next option is a path I know and that is up under the kitchen sink. Wires run and layed loosed for later connections.

My electrical design goal was to be able to operate Sani-con and the gates from inside. I wanted the same system like the water pump in the ventana uses, a latching controller allowing you to turn sani-con on or off from any location just like the water pump. Seriously complex then how to integrate Sani-con's wiring, wowza! I got the designs from Stuart and Charlie but as always, it does not compute to my non-electrician brain. So emails, texts, calls ensued, as usual. I ended up removing the Sani-con switch as they use a relay just as the design presented me offered so a low voltage latching controller can drive high amp equipment.

Charlie and I worked for hours getting the momentary switch figured out so all that was good, Sani-con worked, the gates are very easy to wire up as Drainmaster has some of the best documentation, diagrams, of any vendor I've seen. Then after realizing how easy it was to hit the momentary switch in the coach and how quiet Sani-con is, I better put Sani-con under the master on/off switch that is in the design for the gates so the gates are NOT powered unless a hose is hooked up. That was implemented, now there is a master on/off switch that controls sani-con and drainmaster.

The drainmaster gates work outstanding, they open/close in approximately 1 second, very fast and their switches indicate a gate open with a red led, and closed with a green led. The system auto-closes the gates when power is applied as a safety feature.

After many challenges, 3D print designs, I finally got things completed today. I still have a few tweaks to some 3D print designs for the hose big and master/momentary switch mounts but it's pretty much a done deal. I also installed a dual water filter system which had its challenges as well as they use a 1/2 inch connection and Newmar uses 3/4" and finding parts for RV configurations is not the easiest.

As stated in Charlie's post, electric gates are not for everyone. This job was very labor intensive, had numerous problems to be solved, tons of trips to Lowes and orders from Amazon. I have no issues with stinky slinkies or pulling T-handles under slides. This is an experiment in RV vendor enhancements. Charlie and I joked about smartphone, wireless, Amazon Echo (Alexa) and he put that to use with his. With easy to access switches for inside coach dumping I doubt I will venture down the wireless path, it's just not necessary with the Drainmaster config. By the way, if you ask what happens if no power to gates, they have an included (side mounted) allen wrench you can use to open/close the gates.

While this project was massive, traumatic, challenging in so many ways, it was an amazing learning experience. Learning how to get the wet bay panel off, learning about pex connections/crimps, about relays, etc. etc. it's been a great education.

I am so ready to go camping! Things start opening up around here mid March and I'm ready to get back to grilling, pellet smoker'ing, walking the dog, and doing that thing we're supposed to do in RV's. It's amazing how many of us did some pretty major projects this winter, not sure what got into us!

So this is my story of the Drainmaster system. I know TJ is jealous, if I were on the left coast I'd install this for him. Glad I'm not on the left coast!

Thanks again Stuart and Charlie for your help. Without your help this would not have happened!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plumbing.png
Views:	259
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	236741   Click image for larger version

Name:	DM-inside-1.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	236742  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DM-inside-2.png
Views:	250
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	236743   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wet-bay.png
Views:	329
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	236745  

NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2019, 07:17 PM   #2

I think I just heard Neal drop the mike! [emoji50] WOW!!
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:21 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Did you print the button plates with labels? Curious how you did this.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:23 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Did you print the button plates with labels? Curious how you did this.
Yes, the mount at the kitchen sink I designed and printed. The mount for the two switches left of the Drainmaster switch pair in the wet bay I designed and 3D printed. I first tried installing the switches directly in the panel, and that would be fine but if a wire popped off getting to the wire or figuring it out would be hard. I also 3D printed the hose bib plate, that needs a redo, I've been iterating on that one for a while now. I tried a flat system this time, just needs to be thicker and a little larger but may need a design to prevent it from flexing.

3D printing is ideal with RV'ing, so much you can use. Panorama antenna mounts were 3D designed, and printed, etc, etc,
Old 03-03-2019, 07:39 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Does the 3d printer do the labeling too?
Old 03-03-2019, 07:40 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Does the 3d printer do the labeling too?
Yes, it does text such as the Sanicon below the inside switch. I'm adding text to the master and momentary switch now. If you look closely at the hose big plate it says Hot and Cold below the hose bibs, two color print. That design needs work, up next after this print.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:56 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Yes, it does text such as the Sanicon below the inside switch. I'm adding text to the master and momentary switch now. If you look closely at the hose big plate it says Hot and Cold below the hose bibs, two color print. That design needs work, up next after this print.
Ok, I need to buy one....what should I get?
Old 03-03-2019, 11:40 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Ok, I need to buy one....what should I get?

Prusa i3 MK3S with MMU
Old 03-03-2019, 11:50 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow...quite a setup for sure.

You said "the gates are NOT powered unless a hose is hooked up."

How did you arrange that? Is there a switch on the coupling?

My fear is someone would push the black button while saying "What does this button do?"
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:53 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Look at the wet bay picture. See the two Drainmaster switches (right pair). To the left of that are two single switches. Left one is the master arm (on/off) and the second one is the Sanicon momentary switch.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:25 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OK, got it.

I assume you store your coach inside a heated area. Or do you freeze yourself to death doing these mods?

You need to move to sunny California or Florida so you can RV year round.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:43 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I assume you store your coach inside a heated area. Or do you freeze yourself to death doing these mods?
Nope, enjoyed the "refreshing" "awakening" temps of Virginia winter.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:14 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Prusa i3 MK3S with MMU
I have placed my order!! Prusa arrives in 2 weeks
..mmu in 3 months!

Now to start learning. I see a lot of coin holders (used to be ash trays) in my future.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:17 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I have placed my order!! Prusa arrives in 2 weeks
..mmu in 3 months!

Now to start learning. I see a lot of coin holders (used to be ash trays) in my future.
Congrats, welcome to the next addiction in your life. Yeah, still don't have my MMU ordered last November. They redesigned it, mine should ship the end of this month. E-mail me if you need assistance, not to derail this thread into a 3D printer discussion.

Tags
electric, power, valve