RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2011, 09:07 PM   #1

Electric Question

We took delivery of our new (to us) '07 DSDP 4023 this afternoon. Right now it's parked in front of our house and I've tried to power it down, but have a question.
I turned off the Coach Batteries with the switch in the panel above the entrance, but the Inverter/Charger won't power down, it says "System Status, waiting for AC". Seems to me that if you left the MH like this for several days the batteries would go flat. Turning the Chassis Battery master switch in the engine compartment to OFF doesn't extinguish the Inverter message either.
What am I doing wrong??
Thanks for any help. BTW, my Diesel Bounder had both a Chassis and Coach battery disconnect switch. What is Newmar's rational that doesn't allow the Chassis disconnect except at the engine. There must be a good reason, curious as to what it is.
Thanks again!!

lhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2011, 09:21 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
lhill, in general, inverters draw too much current to be switched by the Coach battery switch, they are wired directly to the house batteries with large gauge wire (usually through an equally large fuse).

The control panel of the inverter should have some buttons with a menu which should allow it to be turned off. What model inverter and control panel do you have?

Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Questin: Is this an "Inverter/Converter" They generally do not disconnect when you disconnect.. HOWEVER they do (usually) have a switch of their own that will shut them off.

Mine is a Xantrex Prosine, there are two or 3 switches

It has a reomte control panel where i can turn off most of it (not all) it will still PASS power in the "Panel off" position.

It has a switch on it's case that fully shuts it down, It won't even pass AC when this is off.

Optinally it can be turned off (As in won't pass AC) by a remote switch but I don't have that one.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #4

I don't know about a Dutch Star but Essex front steps and the inverter is hard wired. So is the Hydro-Hot. That's so the inverter will charge the batteries when 12 volts powered off and plugged into shore power.. Also so the furnace will run to keep from freezing up. Biggest draw on bat when stored is the LP switch. For a year I thought it turned the propane supply off. Nope. It's just for the LP detector behind front pass seat.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
As Stewart mentioned, there is a way to shut down the inverter on the remote's menu. You can also shut it down with the on/off switch on the inverter itself.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #6

Thank you all for your help, the inverter function can be turned off with the switch so it's "not inverting". My question was that the remote display window that shows the system status, etc is still lit and I can't seem to find a way to shut the display off. The fact that the inverter/charger is hard-wired to the coach batteries says thats normal ops I guess. Must be such a small current draw that it doesn't have much effect on the batteries. Thanks again!
lhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:39 PM   #7

I will take a shot at the part of your question about no coach battery disconnect. Don't know if other manufacturers put a solar panel on the roof to keep the coach batteries charged or not like Newmar does, but it would be my thinking, that with this 5w solar panel keeping the coach batteries charged, that there would not be a reason to disconnect them. But I could be wrong.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:08 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I have a 2003 Dutch Star that we just purchased. I also cannot find any way to fully shut down the inverter. The remote displays as is mentioned earlier in this thread and turning off the switch on the inverter itself does not power it completely off.

Further, I can tell you that there is a draw with it off. I just replaced all 4 house batteries. Prior to removing them I switched off the inverter at the inverter. When I was connecting the batteries back up the last wire I hooked up was the large ground. When it touched the battery terminal there was a large arc from a draw on the system.
rcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:35 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is some information on inverters, read someplace you must shut down inverter when storing for winter because of battery drain, so there must be a way to do it.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:11 AM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Inverters with a battery charger function usually cannot turn off the battery charger function.

If you were connected to shore power when connecting the batteries, the inverter may have been trying to charge them which would account for the spark.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:36 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Unfortunately I can't help much with shutting down the inverter completely, Dirk correctly stated that inverters with a charge function usually can't be completely disconnected. You can disconnect one of the wires from the battery to the inverter when you store the coach.

I do know why there was a large spark when connecting the battery. The battery input of the Inverter/Charger (and most good quality inverters) have a large capacitor directly wired to the terminals. The spark you saw was that capacitor being charged up. It acts like a short circuit for a very short time while it is charging, thus the large spark.

Your inverter probably draws about 100ma when the switch is in the off position. As an example, the Freedom 458 2000W draws 120mA when it is idling (and probably much less when it is turned "Off"). Unfortunately, this is still enough current to drain the battery over a month or so of storage.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Inverters with a battery charger function usually cannot turn off the battery charger function.

If you were connected to shore power when connecting the batteries, the inverter may have been trying to charge them which would account for the spark.
A good theory for sure. In this case I wasn't connected to shore power as I did the battery replacement at the storage area where I keep it and there is no power there. I am certain the inverter was pulling the voltage.

rcatter is offline   Reply With Quote