RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2015, 08:48 PM   #1

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Electric Step broken

My electric steps on my Canyon Star stopped working.... sooooo.... under the rig I go. Just in time to watch the pin, that goes through the gear that runs the steps in and out, fall to the ground. Hmmm interesting.... I look at it closely and see that it has broken in half, with the threaded half still anchored firmly into the housing. Sooo.... I ordered a new pin. Now, any good suggestions about fixing this thing??? Do I have to drop the entire steps unit out in order to get the threaded part out? And if I have it done at the RV repair center, how many hours of service time should I expect to have to pay for??

RussM311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2015, 09:24 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If the pin is like a bolt, if enough of it is protruding you could use a pair of vice grips to grab it and back it out. If it's flush, or too short to clamp on it, you could drill out the center of the pin and use an 'ez-out' to remove it.

Sears.com

Just be sure the power is disconnected before working on it, the steps could move and bite you. Either pull the fuse or disconnect the (usual) 4 pin plug.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:01 AM   #3

What steps do you have? If they are Coach Step and you are talking about the center bolt that acts as an axel for the main gear that bolt is spot welded on the top. This is a shoulder bolt by the way so your typical hardware store will not have a replacement.
I replaced mine while at Grizzley Park without having to drop the step assembly. If this is your situation, PM me and I can give you instructions on how I fixed mine.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:26 AM   #4

RussM311, Been there and done that. but as Selah said, you should identify the brand of your steps and if they are like my 2013 Ventana, you will most likely have the Coach Step. Yes the shoulder bolt is special and will be tack welded on top, so you will have to remove the steps in order to grind the weld and remove the broken part.

Unplug the connector, stack some 2X4's under the step and remove the 4 bolts which are holding it in place. You will need some blue Loctite #242 to install the bolt at 14 in. lbs. which is basically finger tight. Install the steps.

Some additional points. Do not use the steps if you have low battery voltage. Wait for full extention before you step on it. If the steps are mushy, you may have an issue with the motor, I had to replace mine. Lubricate every thing.

Good luck.
lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:00 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
RussM311, Been there and done that. but as Selah said, you should identify the brand of your steps and if they are like my 2013 Ventana, you will most likely have the Coach Step. Yes the shoulder bolt is special and will be tack welded on top, so you will have to remove the steps in order to grind the weld and remove the broken part.

Unplug the connector, stack some 2X4's under the step and remove the 4 bolts which are holding it in place. You will need some blue Loctite #242 to install the bolt at 14 in. lbs. which is basically finger tight. Install the steps.

Some additional points. Do not use the steps if you have low battery voltage. Wait for full extention before you step on it. If the steps are mushy, you may have an issue with the motor, I had to replace mine. Lubricate every thing.

Good luck.
BTDT also. My step wouldn't come out, the carriage bolts just spun. So worked from underneath with the step extended and propped up. Used drill, Dremel and EZ-Outs, took about 4 hours to remove the stub. Didn't have the issue with the weld, but maybe that's why it was so hard.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:50 PM   #6

OK, I'll bite. What is BTDT??
Old 10-28-2015, 02:12 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I'm guessing.
Been
There
Done
That

tikitom is offline   Reply With Quote