Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2017, 08:16 PM   #15

Thanks for your feedback, Vettenuts. I purchased the coach from a previous owner. I figure the batteries had not been taken care of and when I had my Air Force One installed the coach sat for 2 weeks without any shore power. I had to replace the 4 batteries. I am getting power to the batteries whether it be shore power, gen, or main engine. As soon as my broke rib gets well, I will be crawling under to troubleshoot the step motor.

Thanks again for your feedback.
hstansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2017, 08:18 PM   #16

Thanks for the reply, MCJones. Yes, I will check all the ground connections and I like your idea of replacing all the ground connections.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:23 PM   #17

Thanks for your info wa8yxm. I found a manual on the steps and they have a very detailed process for checking the wiring and motor. I will start that process as soon as my broke rib will allow me to. I'm not sure where the reed switch is but I will try to locate it. I'll try the hammer tap. Not sure what "Hold the Head" means.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:30 PM   #18

Just to let all of you know how I broke my rib. When I finally got the bedroom slide turnstorque nut loose on the slide, I went outside and started bumping the slide on each end with my shoulder to push it in. Nobody to help me so I was doing some pretty hard bumping. I evidently missed one of the bumps slightly and the corner of the slide hit my rib cage cracking one rib. I did get the slide in and we went home. I did not know I had cracked a rib. Three weeks later I agitated the rib and it broke. So with my age being 73, my rib will require 6 to 8 weeks to heal. I hope to get to work on the motor home before that time frame. So if you ever have to push a slide in manually, protect your ribs.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:42 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for bringing us up to date.
I think I have your answer to the leak and the steps I think for now its that ground through the door switch.
GEN may need some cleaning of gas line some stuff may have jelled in line.
Take care of that rib, I never did that my problem with corners was my head always hit the corner.
I'll answer questions when I get back from DOC.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:31 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hstansel View Post
Thanks for your info wa8yxm. I found a manual on the steps and they have a very detailed process for checking the wiring and motor. I will start that process as soon as my broke rib will allow me to. I'm not sure where the reed switch is but I will try to locate it. I'll try the hammer tap. Not sure what "Hold the Head" means.
THe Reed switch is likely in the door jam, the screen door about 1: above the bottom on the latch side

To find it look at the latch EDGE of the screen door.. Near the bottom, yo ushould find the magnet.. a steel item can help locate it. the switch is in the jamb same spot.

YOu need not locate the switch to test it since you can test at the contgroller connector.

The good news.. Most of the testing is done lying on your back under the RV.

If you have the clearance I suggest you visit I think it is Auto Zone (one of the discount auto places) they sell a Mechanic's work mat/pad.. kind of pricy but it beats the blazes out of lying on bare ground... I have one.. Even the mechanic I visited yesterday liked it. (though he did not use it since all the stuff we did was done standing up,,, In fact though we we were working "on the motor home" it was some miles away I just ook my car to the shop with the part that needed work. 20 bucks and done. Nice people.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:26 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
This is what the possible problem is in your bathroom, some people have replaced the valve and others removed it and just plumb the line through the piping.

The GEN fuel line maybe have diesel fuel that's jelled or alger in line and STA-BIL should have been added to your fuel tank long ago.

If it was gas GEN usually fresh gas would clean out line but you can't use with diesel fuel so if extra STA-BIL added not sure that would work, there are GEN threads in the RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES FORUM below that might have that answer for you.
I see some concentrated adds also that may clean line better or quicker and the more you run the GEN the better with what ever you add.

All the links below in my signature have answers for your coach.

All I can think of now and until your able, the stickies top of forum will give you plenty of reading while the rib heals up and there is a cooking thread for wife down in the HOBBY'S FORUM to keep her busy.
Enjoy the forums and safe travels when your able.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:47 PM   #22

Thanks for your feedback, 007. I had just filled up with Diesel 25 miles from my destination so I know they diesel the generator was running on was fresh fuel. I feel confident that when the gen was shutting down on me, it was not a bad fuel problem. I need to research if there is an error code on the Onan generator that could help me identify the problem. I will be calling them this week to seek help. Your suggestions have been very helpful and I thank you very much.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:16 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Generator

We had a similar problem with the Gen running a short time then stopping. Turned out to be a pinched fuel line that closed up when drawing fuel after a few minutes. Might give that a consideration.
Freightliner Chassis, Cummins engine, FMCA #408511
figallegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:17 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
If you have the clearance I suggest you visit I think it is Auto Zone (one of the discount auto places) they sell a Mechanic's work mat/pad.. kind of pricy but it beats the blazes out of lying on bare ground... I have one..
Do you have a link to this? Couldn't find it on their web site. Right now I use a bamboo roll mat for the beach but this might be an improvement.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:44 AM   #25

when my steps stop working it was a chipped tooth jamming motor. took motor down and operated door switch. had to replace motor, controller, and door switch.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:01 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
There was a recall on the steps from Lippert?
The main bolt holding the gearing together would shear and dump people on the ground !
(Always wait until the steps are fully extended and stopped before stepping on them)

Maybe I missed it, but do you hear the step's motor run when opening/closing the door ?
Old 11-18-2017, 06:53 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Brown View Post
Check the small magnets on the bottom of the screen door and the door frame. The electric step has a magnetic interface and if either magnet is missing the steps will not extend. We learned this when DH removed our screen door and the steps would no longer extend because the magnet was on the bottom of the screen frame.

If that is not your problem, it may be the step motor. There are some good earlier posts addressing this.

Good luck!
learned all about that magnet, just could not believe that magnet slipped and just needed reajusted
valland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:01 PM   #28

Thanks, figallegro, for the info. I don't know how to check all that line for kinks but I guess I will start learning.

Tags
electric