Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2017, 09:43 PM   #1

Electric step will not extend

We took our newly purchased 2015 3436 Ventana with 8000 miles on our first long trip of 2200 miles from Baytown, TX to Estes park and back. We really enjoyed spending 5 nights in Rocky Mountain National Park but the problems I had with our coach was not good. The first day of the trip, the steps would not extend. I had to stop at Walmart to get a step ladder for my handicapped wife to be able to get in and out of the motor home. Then the generator would not run for over 30 minutes. Very difficult to keep the batteries charged in cold weather. We prepared to leave the campground and the bedroom slide would not come in. After 5 hours of removing the bed and frame to disengage the turnstorque nut on the driveshaft, I finally manually pushed the slide in. I found out today, I broke a rib pushing the slide in manually. On the first stop heading home, I discovered a broken water line under the bathroom area. It only got down to 27 degrees the night before and that line should have not broken.

Anyhow, I am going to post my problems one at a time on this site hoping for good repair information as I am going to attempt to repair each myself.

I am asking for help on my first problem, the step not extending. I will work on my other problems later. If anyone has any information on troubleshooting or corrections on steps not extending, I would most appreciate that information.

Does anyone know where I can get a wiring schematic for the step?

Thanks for any help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2017, 10:00 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Check the small magnets on the bottom of the screen door and the door frame. The electric step has a magnetic interface and if either magnet is missing the steps will not extend. We learned this when DH removed our screen door and the steps would no longer extend because the magnet was on the bottom of the screen frame.

If that is not your problem, it may be the step motor. There are some good earlier posts addressing this.

Good luck!

Old 11-15-2017, 10:06 PM   #3

Hi,
We ran into the same issue with the steps on our 2014 Fleetwood Southwind this past Spring.
The problem was with the step motor (under the steps) (Kwickie Brand).
I found lots of videos on You Tube and gather it is a common problem.
Bottom line, a new motor approx. $100.00 and a relatively easy install.
Sounds like you have a few items on your Fix List and can say the responses on this forum have been very helpful.
Simply ask and someone will offer assistance.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:04 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum.
Your step has three ground wires to the control board.
One ground is a short green one to the mounting screw of control board, the next one and possibly your problem is from the frame of your coach,near steps, possibly a squared D piece of iron that has a screw with wire ring connector and which can be corroded from salts and dirt and that screw needs to be removed and iron where screw enters sanded clean and wire ring connector cleaned than reattached to the iron squard D.
THIS connection goes to your magnetic door switch than to the stair control unit.
With your injured ribs it maybe difficult to slide on your back and get under coach on your back.
If you can do it make sure your body is not under the steps or you will have more cracked ribs which we do not need.
This ground is always over looked and people start changing motors and control boards and this ground connection can turn out to be their problem to begin with.
Its the first thing to check.
The third ground is the heavy green ground wire to frame of coach which is well protected and never a problem, the connection is usually embedded in aproxie.
When you move any of your slides the coach needs to be plugged in or the GEN running if batteries are low in charge the slides will be stuck the 12v motors need a strong 12v to operate.
Your Gen may start off your house batteries which now maybe almost flat with low charge.
You maybe able to get GEN started by starting your coach and the altenator will supply the 12v's needed to get GEN started and which than will supply the good 12v's to close slides.
If you have been in cold weather the furnace should have been working to keep tanks and plumbing from possible freezing.
I am not saying you have a frozen pipe but could be a possibility.
Not knowing how old your batteries are we hope they will take the charge from GEN and your alternator, when was the water level checked in the house batteries?
I hope your where it is warm now for the night..
I do not see you on line right now so I hope you have a comfortable night.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:39 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Be very carful working on the steps, and keep all body parts clear at all times! Probably a bad ground, or the magnetic switch! Make sure that someone did not turn off the switch by the door!
Hope the fix is a easy one! Rail!
Old 11-16-2017, 05:15 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Looking back on your first post you say you just purchased your coach did the dealer have new batteries placed in coach?
Have you had the battery cut off switch on all the time you have been using the coach?
Have you been dry camping without any power to your shore power line?
The battery's if wet cells were checked by dealer or yourself for water level of both batteries.
Nothing will work if you have lost the use of your batteries.
NEWMAR BATTERY SYSTEM ------- --- TECH INFORMATION
You say you're driving so still have a good chassis battery. Your steps may work off your chassis battery. Your step switch is on in your display area.
Do you have AMS off the GEN so when batteries become low with charge the GEN will automatically start and charge your batteries? And your battery cut off switch is on.
Make sure the water pump is off so water will not be pumped through the broken water pipe in bathroom.
Reading back through your old posts see nothing that indicated you have ever had a problem with your steps so the ground wire through door switch maybe your problem.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:15 AM   #7

Not sure how long your coach sat on the dealer's lot, but I would be willing to bet they did zero maintenance on the batteries while it was there. If that is the case, the batteries may need to be replaced depending on their status. If you plug in or run the main engine, are you getting charge voltage at the house batteries?

Stairs are fun, I have been dealing with problems with mine for over a year and just bought a new motor in hopes they straighten out.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:54 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
It has been stated but I will restate: check all the ground points on the system. In my experience, all my step problems were solved by redoing the ground connections. Cheap and easy fix for what was going to be a major hassle. AND be safe under there! good luck, mark
Old 11-16-2017, 06:58 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are several things to check .. I doubt it is the door magnets since when the door is OPEN they are no where near the reed switch.. But the switch could be bad.

(Now if it was "They do not RETRACT. That might be the magnet).

Make sure there is power to the system. Especially the motor
One way to do that is to unplug the wires from the motor and hook up a test light.

Tap the motor with the HANDLE of a hammer a few times .. Hold the head

(That has worked for me many times) I finally re-indexed the motor (Take the transmission apart. move the gears a few notches and re-assemble).
Old 11-16-2017, 08:24 PM   #10

Thanks, Patti, I will check that out.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:27 PM   #11

Yes, Jim, I am relying heavily on response on this forum. I have a lot of problems to fix and no knowledge on how to fix them. Thanks to everyone that sends me information on these problems.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:44 PM   #12

Thanks so much 007 for your feedback. With your information, the first thing I will check is the ground wires. I will also check all the magnets to see if they are in place. I think I tried the bedroom slide with the gen running but I will try it again now that I am hooked up to shore power. Gotta take the bed and bed frame out again. I had no problem starting the gen, it just would not run over about 5 minutes and shut down. I need to find out if there is a code anywhere to tell me why it shut down.
It did get down to 27 the last night we were at Rocky Mountain NP and the Oasis was running all night so I don't understand why I have a broken water pipe under the bathroom area. My batteries have just been replaced so I know they were good. We had one night where they got down to 11.1 volts and the power shut down in the motorhome. Yes, we are home now and have shore power hooked up to the motor home. As soon as my broken rib will let me, I will crawl under the chassis and start trying to solve the step problem, the broken water line and the bedroom slide. I think I will be busy for a little while. Thanks again for your feedback.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:48 PM   #13

Thanks Guardrail 53 for your feedback. I will be very careful to not be under the steps when I troubleshoot my problem. I just hope it is a ground or switch problem and not the motor.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:09 PM   #14

007, I purchased the coach from a previous owner who had it for one year. I just had the batteries replaced in September when I got my Air Force One installed on the coach and 2015 Ford F-150. The battery cutoff switch has not been turned on during the time I had all my problems. We dry camped for 5 days without any shore power. I ran the generator to keep the batteries charged until the generator would not run past 5 minutes at a time. I was still able to keep the batteries above 12V. The step switch is in the on position where it should work. I have not yet learned how to turn on the AMS for the gen to turn on automatically. I would get up at night and turn the gen on if the batteries were low. Battery cutoff switch is on. I never thought to check to see if water still poured out of the pipe break when I used the water pump. I do know we had good pressure with the pump on. When hooked up to campground water, it leaked bad from underneath the bathroom area. No water leaked into the bathroom area. I may get lucky and the break is not a hard fix under the chassis. I will check out the ground wire on the magnetic switch.

Thanks again for your feedback. All troubleshooting info is appreciated.

Tags
electric