RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Electric Sun Shades

We have a 2010 Canyon Star that did not come with electric sun (driving) shades. The little manual sun shades are not very effective and seem to bounce around quite a bit.

Considering adding electric shades. Is this a DYI project, or something that should be left to the pros? I do have some mechanical skills and very minimal electrician skills.

Anyone done this themselves or had it done. Looking at cost. Maybe someplace to start looking for parts.........or is this something I will have to get from Newmar?

Lots of questions!

thanks,
Phillip

Newmarboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2010, 09:36 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Phillip
I would look into MDI industries, I have elec shades on the front windshield and I'm told after a few uses they break, they are SOB that the factory put it.
if they break I'm going to MDI

just me 2 cents

N6CUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:43 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Never heard of MDI.....perhaps you're referring to MCD ?? They are the at the top of most people's lists and offer both manual and electric models in various fabrics but are a little pricey, especially the electric versions. MCD Innovations

DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Phillip,
My coach is the same as your coach. Go to:
MCD Power Visor Shade Lowered For Driving Into Sun - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery
MCD Power Shade Lowered To Cover Static Shade Top Of Winshield - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery
MCD Power Visors Lowered For Privacy - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery
MCD Power Visors Center Mount To Ceiling - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery

to see photos of my DIY project. Several years ago I stopped by MCD (North of Dallas, TX) told them what I wanted and they did the measurements. They shipped the completed shades to me and I installed them. There is no rocket science to this project. One needs to decide where to shade activation buttons will be. I have one button for the driver shade and two buttons for the passenger shade. The passenger shade button is located in the passenger side button bank of switches to the right of the passenger seat. The other passenger button is located in the button bank in the main dash area, withing easy reach of the driver. The driver button is located in the button bank to the left of the steering wheel. I purchased the buttons (toggle switches) from Newmar. They even say "Visor". There were unused spaces in the button bank locations mentioned above.

The hardest part was the physical installation of the shades. Without an extra set of hands, I needed to be creative. All the wires are run down the drivers side pillar to the dash area. To reach the activation switch by the passenger seat, I used extra wires Newmar had run but not used.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Great advise from all. After looking up MCD, I found out they are only about 20 or so miles from me.
I will give them a call and see which way I want to go.

Thanks to all that responded. What a great forum!

Phillip
Newmarboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:21 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks Gary I have added to Quick Tips.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:41 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Gary,

I'm curious if you've had any problems with the MCD shades swaying back & forth while driving. The OEM shades that are installed on my MADP have scissor-extension support arms that seem to help keep the shade pretty stiff when it is extended. I assume (from the info on the MCD site) that the MCD shades do not... that they just unroll and rely on a weighted rod at the end to add "heft" to them. I figured these might be more prone to swaying around on rough roads, etc... and was curious to know your experience.

Thanks for the info... and the great pics of your install.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:44 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have just ordered powered shades made by Carefree of Colorado from an E-bay store based in El Cajon, Ca. They are selling 30"-42" wide powered shades for $80. (must be a closeout from the factory, these are normally in the $300 range. I am replaceing one that was damaged. (my wife thought they could be pulled down like a window blind, and wiped out the internal motor). I am also getting a 26" wide unit from them for a center position behind the TV pod. These are $30. These units can come with a remote control, so you don't need to do extensive wireing. I have the wireing as my KountryStar came with the units installed. To use the remote, you would only need to hook up to 12 volt power. The installation would consist of only two screws on each side of the unit, into the overhead that you already have.

On e-bay, the site is "shadeproinc"
Their phone # is 800 328 5100.

Phil Messer
2005 KS on W22.
pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:00 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi bcbounders,
I notice no swinging of the shades, when they are being used to shield the sun from my eyes when driving. I do have a static visor that is from MCD. You can see it in my photos. This may prevent the shades from swaying very much.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:22 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I think I paid $80 for two of them at Quartzite, installed them myself after I cut the back of the tv cabinet to make it even.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmesser View Post
I have just ordered powered shades made by Carefree of Colorado from an E-bay store based in El Cajon, Ca. They are selling 30"-42" wide powered shades for $80. (must be a closeout from the factory, these are normally in the $300 range. I am replaceing one that was damaged. (my wife thought they could be pulled down like a window blind, and wiped out the internal motor). I am also getting a 26" wide unit from them for a center position behind the TV pod. These are $30. These units can come with a remote control, so you don't need to do extensive wireing. I have the wireing as my KountryStar came with the units installed. To use the remote, you would only need to hook up to 12 volt power. The installation would consist of only two screws on each side of the unit, into the overhead that you already have.

On e-bay, the site is "shadeproinc"
Their phone # is 800 328 5100.

Phil Messer
2005 KS on W22.
oldcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:17 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Hi DandS yes I meant MCD, I could not remember the initials
gald you came the the rescue with the correct info.
N6CUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:06 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
my unit is at dlr as we speak having carefree power shades installed
just a shade (pun intended) over 700
brianj
Old 11-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Just ordered 3 30" powered shades with the wireless remotes from Shade Pro, they took the order over the phone (800 328 5100), no problems!
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:55 PM   #14

Electric Sun Visors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmarboy View Post
We have a 2010 Canyon Star that did not come with electric sun (driving) shades. The little manual sun shades are not very effective and seem to bounce around quite a bit.

Considering adding electric shades. Is this a DYI project, or something that should be left to the pros? I do have some mechanical skills and very minimal electrician skills.

Anyone done this themselves or had it done. Looking at cost. Maybe someplace to start looking for parts.........or is this something I will have to get from Newmar?

Lots of questions!

thanks,
Phillip
Just a note for you Phillip.

I just purchased a 2001 HR Endeavor (diesel) and the seller included a pair of Power SmartVisors made by Carefree of Colorado. They were not installed because the mounting brackets had broken repeatedly and he could not keep them up. I just got off of the phone with Carefree and they offer NO parts or support for this item. Thankfully I'm pretty handy and think that I can fabricate something that will work.
JimStanb
2001 Itasca (Workhorse chassis - gas)
2001 Holiday Rambler (Roadmaster chassis - diesel)

JimStanb is offline   Reply With Quote