RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2014, 04:53 PM   #1

Electrical issue, King Aire

Went out to the shop the other day only to discover that the parking/ instrument/switch lights on the coach were on. Keys were not in the ignition and headlight switch was in the off position. I put in the key and turned to the on position and the lights went out, turned the key to the left position and the lights also went out, started the coach and the lights stayed on , pulled the headlight switch in and out several times and no change. I remembered that I had unplugged the coach from the 50 amp service about 2 weeks prior when I exercised the engine and generator. I plugged the coach back in and the lights went out and everything is now back to normal. Am I missing something really simple here???

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2014, 10:37 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I bet the slow drain is causing a relay to open. I have the same issue on my chevy truck after I added some extra lights. The circuit I tapped into has a relay that will turn on if the battery drains to a low point.

Like you described, this makes a bad situation worse, by turning on additional load.

Next time you experience this try the battery disconnect to see if it will allow the relay to reset.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:36 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Interesting......

Quote:
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
Went out to the shop the other day only to discover that the parking/ instrument/switch lights on the coach were on. Keys were not in the ignition and headlight switch was in the off position. I put in the key and turned to the on position and the lights went out, turned the key to the left position and the lights also went out, started the coach and the lights stayed on , pulled the headlight switch in and out several times and no change. I remembered that I had unplugged the coach from the 50 amp service about 2 weeks prior when I exercised the engine and generator. I plugged the coach back in and the lights went out and everything is now back to normal. Am I missing something really simple here???
Hi buddy.........Just a question, if not connected to shore power, a assortment of item's draining and pulling the batteries down......why didn't the gen-set fire up to correct this low voltage condition? Not set to auto start? A low voltage condition would cause relay's to return to their shelf state......Maybe a warning condition when not plugged into shore power and the gen-set not programed to start to maintain the batteries? One more thing, the lights that were on were taking a draw from the chassis batteries........and more than likely the drain from sitting not hooked to shore power would of been on the house batteries
Maybe the fine folk's at the factory would be able to best explain this condition to you(and us) and what happened
Just some thoughts........
Old 09-13-2014, 08:36 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Any powered device (light) turning on on its own, whether it is caused by low battery or not, is either wiring or design defect and worst case can be a safety related issue. I would get with Newmar ASAP.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Hi buddy.........Just a question, if not connected to shore power, a assortment of item's draining and pulling the batteries down......why didn't the gen-set fire up to correct this low voltage condition? Not set to auto start? A low voltage condition would cause relay's to return to their shelf state......Maybe a warning condition when not plugged into shore power and the gen-set not programed to start to maintain the batteries? One more thing, the lights that were on were taking a draw from the chassis batteries........and more than likely the drain from sitting not hooked to shore power would of been on the house batteries
Maybe the fine folk's at the factory would be able to best explain this condition to you(and us) and what happened
Just some thoughts........
Dave,

Auto Gen-start was off since coach was being stored indoors, both sets of batteries were over 13v after only 5 mins of plugging the coach back in. I'm going to call Newmar tomorrow
Old 09-14-2014, 01:47 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
Dave,

Auto Gen-start was off since coach was being stored indoors, both sets of batteries were over 13v after only 5 mins of plugging the coach back in. I'm going to call Newmar tomorrow
Understand about being inside Mike, if the batteries were drained it will take some time to charge them, what you are reading on the display in the coach or with a multi-meter while plugged in is the charge from the converter........charging them. If you had taken a reading before plugging in and the batteries were down......might of seen 10-11 VAC sence it was not plugged in for 2 weeks. Did you get a volt reading before plugging in? Let us know what the big guy's have to say.....

Tags
electrical