Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2011, 11:55 AM   #15

I already suggested the back or the switch, but the brake test is a very good idea. That would isolate it to the flasher circuit if it didn't blow a fuse.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2011, 12:07 PM   #16

The brake lights and parking lights and blinkers work. the left blinker is a little dimmer and that only started after i went looking for the emer flasher. How do the go from a single line coming out of the emer flasher switch to the 4 bulbs?
jettyjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #17

I beleive it's thru a relay (automotive type) about a 1 inch cube (black) located with all of the fuses and other relays. On my Newmar they are in the compartment front under driver. Probably labelled 4 way or emergency.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #18

I would think it is at the switch. If you use your flasher a lot, it may have wore out or broken internally.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #19

The other problem I heard about once was a fuse blowing when the sterring was 'tilted'. This was caused by a frayed wire in the steering column. Is you 4 way switch in the steering?
Old 10-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #20

Go to an auto parts store and ask to look at a 4-way switch. It might give you an idea of how they are wired.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #21

I just went to my garage to look at my fuse box in the motorhome. The largest black relay/switch (about 2 inches high) is called a Combination Flasher 12V/25A and I'm pretty sure that's what controls the flashers but I can't see how it would short the 12 volts to gnd... I would think it's more like a wire from the switch that is shorted to Gnd. If you can dissasemble the switch you could ohmeter the control signal and see if it's shorted to gnd.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #22

For the OP:
Typically the left/right turn signal wiring/bulbs (front and rear) are shared by the 4-way flasher circuit. The same wiring is used from the turn signal switch back to the bulbs. Because the same wiring and bulbs are used, then you can use the turn siganal circuit to help eliminate things. If all bulbs (front/rear) work OK for both left and right turn using the turn signals then you can elimate everything from the turn signal switch back to the bulbs. That only leaves the circuit from the flasher fuse to the turn signal switch. Thats why people keep asking if your normal turn signals are working.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettyjock View Post
The brake lights and parking lights and blinkers work. the left blinker is a little dimmer and that only started after i went looking for the emer flasher. How do the go from a single line coming out of the emer flasher switch to the 4 bulbs?
jettyjock, I don't see a year for your coach, and chassis make in your profile. This info would help as we go forward.
Normal automotive wiring would go , fuse, flasher , steering mounted multi-function switch, this switch joins, L&R right signals together when E flasher is on , and feeds out power on the 4 wires, L&R front & L&R rear. The multi-function switch & wires also have a ground wire for the horn circuit , so there could be problems there. Your going to need a wiring diagram to check out the wiring in the column and switch, disconnect the switch at the base of the steering column, flasher switch on, then, with an ohm meter, check for continuity from the flasher supply power wire to the horn circuit ground wire and the cloumn itself, continuity to either, and you need a new switch.

Tags
electrical