RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #1

Electrical Problems 2007 MA

We have owned our 2007 Mountain Aire for one year now and we love it. Coming through Calgary recently we thought we would have a full service carried out on the Chassis at the Spartan garage there (we do not have one in our home town of Thunder Bay). They checked the brakes etc and all went well till they tried to do an oil change ....... the plug had been cross threaded on the prior change (so they said) any way that little screw up cost us an additional $1,200 just to sort out the plug.
On the way from Calgary to Thunder Bay the lights (engine) would flash, indicators even the lights on Alison Transmission panel then after about 5 mins they would go back to normal ...... this happened many times on our final leg of our 10,000 mile trip around N. America.
The Coach is presently in with Cummings checking out that plug (if they concur that the plug fix should have been 2-3 hours and not 8 hours as we were charged I will be writting to Spartan themselves regarding this garage in Calgary). Cummings are also trying to track down this electrical problem. Any ideas out there ......... Also all the power was sucked out of the batteries I could not evan start the generator ....... which battery is used to start the generator. I would appreciate any help....... we are so happy with the Coach and we feel that the garage in Calgary may have screwed up something during the service.........

Phil Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sorry for late answer Phil, your GEN starts from house batteries.
While traveling all batteries would be charge by your alternator through your B.I.R.D. System.
The battery, GEN, engine ground wire connections to chassis frame should be checked for good clean connections.
If you have one BAD battery that maybe short it could effect your entire battery bank of batteries.
Let us know how you are making out.
Welcome to the forum.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:21 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Crook View Post
We have owned our 2007 Mountain Aire for one year now and we love it. Coming through Calgary recently we thought we would have a full service carried out on the Chassis at the Spartan garage there (we do not have one in our home town of Thunder Bay). They checked the brakes etc and all went well till they tried to do an oil change ....... the plug had been cross threaded on the prior change (so they said) any way that little screw up cost us an additional $1,200 just to sort out the plug.
On the way from Calgary to Thunder Bay the lights (engine) would flash, indicators even the lights on Alison Transmission panel then after about 5 mins they would go back to normal ...... this happened many times on our final leg of our 10,000 mile trip around N. America.
The Coach is presently in with Cummings checking out that plug (if they concur that the plug fix should have been 2-3 hours and not 8 hours as we were charged I will be writting to Spartan themselves regarding this garage in Calgary). Cummings are also trying to track down this electrical problem. Any ideas out there ......... Also all the power was sucked out of the batteries I could not evan start the generator ....... which battery is used to start the generator. I would appreciate any help....... we are so happy with the Coach and we feel that the garage in Calgary may have screwed up something during the service.........
If I may ask, where did you get your oil changed before going to Spartan?
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:57 AM   #4

I thought Generator starts on Chassis battery.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #5

Perry,

I agree with you the genny uses the chassis batteries for starting, so I have been told by all experts including Newmar.

Al Sawyer
'05 MADP
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:43 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ditto on the chassis batteries starting the generator.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You maybe right for a DP but all my gas coach's Gen starts from house batteries.
One way to prove is disconnect either battery bank and see if Gen starts.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #8

To; Phil Crook;

on my 02 mountain aire diesel pusher. the generator starts using engine batteries, I have solar panels that keep 8 house batteries fully charged and after 2-3 weeks without starting the engine. batteries are run down and the engine or generator won't start. When I use the battery boost ?? switch on dash , the generator starts and I put the inverter in charge mode to charge engine batteries, when the
batts get to 13.1 volts, I start the engine and charge aii 10 batteries.

A. J. hope this info helps
Old 05-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
We just ran into a similar situation - check engine light intermittent, but no power changes. Also had jack problems, all traced to loose connectors on all batteries. Check your terminals.

Mark

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Newmars with spartan K2 chassis (Essex, Mt aire till 2010) uses chassis batteries for generator starting. Cross thread oil drain plug cost 1200!!! What did they have to replace the oil pan?
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:49 AM   #11

Big Thanks to all ....... Our coach is still with Cummings ..... they confirmed that the oil plug issue should have been a 2 hour fix and not 8 hours ....... so I will be writing to Spartan regarding their approved garage in Calgary.
Regarding the electrical issue .... cummings have confirmed that the engine batteries are good, so the issue is not there. They have suggested we now take the coach to an electrical auto repair shop and try and trace the short / bad earth or something. When we get the coach back in the next couple of days we will check that all connections are good and the ground to the generator is good also.
I will also do the switch off to determine which batteries run the generator (thanks 007).

When the repair shop in Calgary put the repair plug into the drain hole (this is the fix) they said it still leaked and therefor they had to remove the pan to apply some caulking on the inside. My concern is that when it is an Authorized Repair shop you would think they would know what they are doing.

Again thanks to all.
Phil Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:55 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
This is why I hesitate to take any problems(other than warranty) to a dealer(Cummins, Spartan etc.). They will fix your problem but they will choose the most expensive solution to do it.