Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2015, 10:09 PM   #1

Eliminating side radiator dust storm

Just was wondering if anyone has yet to figure out how to eliminate that terrible dust storm the side radiator fan kicks up entering/exiting a campground with dirt roads?
I haven't had any campers throw anything at us yet going in or out but i keep thinking it's going to happen.
Besides that the toad looks awful after entering a campground.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2015, 10:20 PM   #2

Maybe allow a longer cool down period after you leave the freeway? Wouldn't the fans shut off if you did that?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:26 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I suppose you could install a disable relay of some sort into the fan control. I don't know what the risk would be to running with deficient cooling for 5 minutes or so.

Or, like the gravel damage you get driving unpaved roads to Alaska, you could simply look upon the dust storm as just one more benefit of operating your vehicle in an environment for which it was not designed. ;-)
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:24 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
I suppose you could install a disable relay of some sort into the fan control. I don't know what the risk would be to running with deficient cooling for 5 minutes or so.

Or, like the gravel damage you get driving unpaved roads to Alaska, you could simply look upon the dust storm as just one more benefit of operating your vehicle in an environment for which it was not designed. ;-)
The fan is gear driven not electric.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:04 AM   #5

I have been working on this issue for months, even changed exhaust tip for maybe a little less dust and that did not help at all. At the hoots rally my neighbor a Ford engineer told me how to design a shroud that should help. On the 2014 DS has enough room so this winter I plan on installing it. Let me know if you come up with something different
Old 10-23-2015, 06:59 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
The fan is gear driven not electric.

Driven, perhaps, but how is it controlled? Does this fan run constantly, or intermittently? If the fan runs on demand, there must be some control mechanism and/or circuitry in there that can be modified.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:16 AM   #7

Forget about keeping the toad clean. Side radiator, rear radiator, you could even put the radiator on the roof and it won't make any difference. The toad is going to look pretty much the same.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:19 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Had a kid throw a rock at me a few days ago. .
JLDHELMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:10 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've been looking a putting a rubber flap on the passenger side from the tag axle back. It would hang down like a mud flap. The problem is that a lot of the air comes out between the tag and drive wheels. It would also need to be flexible enough to bend when the air is let out of the bags. I don't mind dirt/dust out the back as much as the cloud out the side.

On our very firs trip, we drove into a nice campground that had one powdery dirt area on a turn leading to our campsite. I remember looking in the mirror and seeing my clean truck and half the road way getting a cloud of dust.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:41 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Leave early in the morning before everyone is awake. Just kidding. If the fan is direct drive then a lower rpm is the only way to cut down on fan volume. Is it possible to manually upshift when moving slow? Randy
Old 10-23-2015, 03:38 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Wonder if your Guard Dog fas the fan stuck in "High" mode... Suggest contacting RSullivan on the this board, Richard probably has more "First Hand" knowledge of fan issues on the Freightliner/450 ISL then anyone!
Old 10-23-2015, 04:15 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, the side radiator Freightliner chassis fan is mechanically powered, and it has a two speed electronically controlled hub. On high it will certainly blow the curbs clean. I know with the 2012 there was not much difference in fan speed between the low or high speed. Several things can affect the fan speed; RPM, engine coolant temperature, Dash A/C use, or failure in the electronic hub control. I have learned that the use of the dash A/C will cause the fan speed to go high (I believe controlled by the A/C high pressure switch). Should an issue occur in the fan control circuit the fan will default to full time high speed, for instance if the connector to the electric fan hub should come disconnected. I also have learned that when you first start the cold ISL, the fan speed will run high for several minutes. See if turning off the dash A/C 5 minutes before arrival helps. I also suggest checking that the fan hub connector is secure.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:24 PM   #13

All this time I thought it was just me. Going through a campground with a dirt roadway my coach looks like a crop duster
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Driven, perhaps, but how is it controlled? Does this fan run constantly, or intermittently? If the fan runs on demand, there must be some control mechanism and/or circuitry in there that can be modified.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
John, the fans are these models are belt driven. They have a fan clutch, but there isn't much air difference between high and low (no middle settings)

I found a few bus electric fans that might fit the bill, but I would feel better talking to one of the engineers in person.

To me that would be the best option.

Tags
radiator