Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2015, 06:53 AM   #43

Dust problem solved!

I have DS 3736 2014 that would create a dust storm in most campgrounds. What I did to solve it was build a deflector. I took a sheet of 1/4" abs plastic and cut a piece 36" by 27". I then put a 90 degree bend in it at the 19" mark on the 27" side. Then I fastened it to the bottom of the fan shroud, and it wraps around the frame where I fastened there. The dust is virtually eliminated. If you stand on the passengers side behind the rear wheel there used to be a lot of air blowing out there, now there is hardly any. No more dust storm
Lundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2015, 07:10 AM   #44

Hey lundman that is exactly what the ford engineer designed for me, I will be installing next week. Once the engines are emission certified which is a big expensive deal cummins is not going to start messing with engine parameters, or tempertures!
Old 11-06-2015, 07:24 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundman View Post
I have DS 3736 2014 that would create a dust storm in most campgrounds. What I did to solve it was build a deflector. I took a sheet of 1/4" abs plastic and cut a piece 36" by 27". I then put a 90 degree bend in it at the 19" mark on the 27" side. Then I fastened it to the bottom of the fan shroud, and it wraps around the frame where I fastened there. The dust is virtually eliminated. If you stand on the passengers side behind the rear wheel there used to be a lot of air blowing out there, now there is hardly any. No more dust storm

I know this is asking a lot, but could you possibly post a few pictures of how it is installed? For those of us who a visual people it would really help, it sounds interesting!
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 02:31 PM   #46

I am just south of Atlanta and it is raining. I will try to post some pictures when it dries up.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:18 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundman View Post
i am just south of atlanta and it is raining. I will try to post some pictures when it dries up.

😄😄😄
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:17 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundman View Post

Where is the air GOING now? Any idea what the shroud did to the airflow? Have you seen any change in the temperature?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:01 AM   #49

I'm guessing it goes out that big hole in the back. I think the motor currently deflects the air under the coach and out the other side at low speeds.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:53 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattChief View Post
I'm guessing it goes out that big hole in the back. I think the motor currently deflects the air under the coach and out the other side at low speeds.
BattChief, you are correct, it does go up and out the back. As far engine temps it still runs around 180. I drove from upper Michigan to just south of Atlanta, and through the mountains on a long grade the coach hit 207 on my vmspc. It pulled the long grade in 6th gear at 62mph and went right back to 180. The ambient air temp was in the mid 70's. I was towing a Jeep Wrangler.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:55 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like the solution, looking forward to seeing photos.
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:05 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWag View Post
Sounds like the solution, looking forward to seeing photos.

X2!
Old 11-08-2015, 07:54 AM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
X3 waiting patiently.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:49 PM   #54

Still raining. It's supposed stop sometime tomorrow evening. Hopefully I can get some pictures tuesday
Old 11-08-2015, 10:02 PM   #55
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Well....I'll ask.....is it just a 36" wide plate on the bottom of the fan shroud extending toward the engine? Making the air go straight across to the engine, rather than down and under.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:39 AM   #56

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Well....I'll ask.....is it just a 36" wide plate on the bottom of the fan shroud extending toward the engine? Making the air go straight across to the engine, rather than down and under.
My first question is: Does it make any real difference how much air flows over the outside of the engine? It is a water cooled engine which is cooled from the inside out. Keep in mind these same engines (marinized) are used down in a boat bilge and have no air flow to speak of. The coolant is cooled through a sealed heat exchanger unit that has sea water running through it. No air flow at all except for maybe a couple of bilge exhaust fans that just move some light air. They run 2,300 rpm for hours on end. And if we think out fuel economy is bad consider that a pair of these in a 50' SeaRay burns right at 40 GPH at 27 kts.

So deflecting the air flow should not be critical.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator