Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2015, 06:00 AM   #15
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
This is something that I've heard before and that worried me so I had a talk with a company that makes AFFF Fire Systems for Race cars to see if they had anything that might help.

They suggested using an AFFF Fire Systems. Why AFFF foam? Because it's designed to not only put out the fire but it's clings to the rubber and also cools it to keep the fire from reigniting.

He suggested one with remote nozzles placed around the passenger side wheel well. Since the bottle it self can be placed anyplace I'd put it out of the way in the generator compartment. He did suggest using Stainless Steel lines rather than the Aluminum ones so they could take hits from flying rubber.

The fire handle would be placed someplace on the dash in reach of both the driver and copilot.

So when you have a blowout you start slowing down immediately and once you've gained control and determined it's the passenger side wheel you or the copilot pulls the big red "Fire" handle. You don't want to pull it too soon but wait till you slowed.

When pulled this would dump 5 liters of AFFF foam on the tire immediately putting out any fire that's already started and cooling the wheel and tire to keep it from starting again. BTW, 5 liters is a heck of a lot of foam so it's going to be very wet when you exit the coach.

You could put two of them in so the drivers side tire is also covered, it's handle would be on the drivers left side.

You also want a AFFF hand held to use on any rear tires or to backup the passenger side giving more time for any others to exit.

You may also want to put temperature released one in the engine compartment.

Probably better to invest in a good TPMS and regularly inspect your tires. The chance of a blowout will be reduced to near zero.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2015, 06:15 AM   #16
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I don't have a problem with escaping through the bedroom window. I look at it as something that is one used in a dire emergency.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:44 AM   #17

Just for info regarding the RV in Florida, when the tire blew it ruptured the gas line going to the generator & that caused the fire.
That's what I read in a paper down here.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:15 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtovo View Post
Just for info regarding the RV in Florida, when the tire blew it ruptured the gas line going to the generator & that caused the fire.
That makes a lot of sense to me. I was having trouble with just a blowout causing that kind of inferno. Add fuel - no problem. Now I understand.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:32 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtovo View Post
That would explain the fire...
Is the diesel fuel line to the gen rubber or steel..??
Think I would make a shield or replace the fuel line with armored line..

KE5FTF...Bob & Kathy
Bmaintz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:10 PM   #20

Emergency Exit

AFFF is a great fire retardant. I was an Airport Manager and we used the Foam plus the AFFF. This is used throughout the industry.

I have a 2001 DSDP and the one on fl they had the tire blow out was either a 1998,98 or 2000 it had the same rear engine cover with the groves vent groves as the years above. It was a DSDP. You can go to Fox News 35 out of Orlando and see the live video. No gas lines
1dutchstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:51 AM   #21

I can't access the video due to the poor wifi here in this RV park.
But on the issue of fire in the front end after a steer tire blow out
There are unshielded fuel tank fill tubes in the top of the wheel well, propane tank behind the drivers wheel; in this vintage of DSDP ; with only a rubber mat for protection, and only a foot of air space between the propane tank and 100 gals. of diesel. Even the pressure hoses for the power steering.
Ruptured fuel line to the gen set, possible, but it's better protected than a lot of other components.
I've never known a reporter to get things wrong, , just saying.

As per " Murphy " ; Anything that can go wrong , will.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:05 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Everyone who saw the DSDP burn up needs to locate all the exits in their coach and make sure they know how to operate them. Like others here with Newmar products I have Red handles on all my emergency exits and I do turn them to make sure they turn. If you don't have a fire extinguisher in your master bed room, maybe its time to invest in one. Remember that a good kick is needed to open the large windows. Safe summer friends...
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:20 PM   #23

Skip your are correct on the fuel line over to the genny.
1dutchstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:58 PM   #24
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Trust me....if you have a fire, even the most robust of us will move quickly out that rear window. If you push the wife out first, you'll have a soft landing when you climb/fall out.

If you want to practice, I would practice moving to the back of the coach, CLOSE the sliding door to reduce the oxygen being added by the opening of the window and then open the window. You might want to see what is the most comfortable way to get out......feet first, belly down. Possibly pulling a drawer open to help support you will climbing out.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:08 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
If you have the opportunity to attend a rally or other event where Mac The Fire Guy is presenting a session on fire safety, be sure to attend.

You will learn a lot about fire extinguishers and using your fire exits.

After his session we tested both of our emergency exits. One worked fine but the other was really tough to open that first time. Now that that is fixed and armed with some knowledge on how to exit through it we feel much more confident and safe.

We purchased new smoke detectors at Quartzsite since ours were 10 years old and installed new fire extinguishers. When I checked our existing extinguisher I discovered it was a BC rated unit for putting out fires caused by flammable liquids and electrical equipment. This was hardly adequate for a live-in RV.

While at Organ Pipe State Park in southern Arizona a couple of months back we saw the remains of another DP that left the campsite earlier that day and burned up on the highway due to an engine fire. We had Mac and his installer Chuck put in a fire suppression system for our engine at the FMCA Rally in Pomona late last month.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:10 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
The threads discussing the fire at the front of the DS got me to thinking about why there is no rear door provided. It wouldn't have to be fancy, just another exit point. I don't know that I could even use the exit window in my coach. Not only is it rather small, its recessed in the cabinets and under the TV, with a countertop and drawers under it. Has anyone ever added a large window on the rear of their coach? Mine, like many has no window on the rear cap. It would make for a much better means of exiting in an emergency situation. Just thinking out loud..
jt
harleyjt,I made a bracket that is attatched to my coach under the escape window which holds a telescoping ladder with a padlock,very easy to set up and take down,daytime I leave it vertical up against the mh, nitetime, I pull out bottom of ladder to safe angle, works awesome, ladder was like $59 at home depot, lightweight and stores easily in cargo hold. makes me have a real good chance of exiting if needed, hope I never have to use it except for fire drills!

Altho I'll probably perish while trying to go back inside to save the cat, seeing I forgot to show him how to use the ladder!!!!!

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:22 PM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Gibson View Post
The large rear window on our unit does not open at all. That said, it would not be in place if we needed to get out. I'm sure even my 170lbs. could make it open real quick. I do like the additional extinguishers in the bedroom and bath, I could even use the extinguisher to take out the window.
In our rig I have a 10 extinguisher beside the driver, the standard one by the front door and another 10 in the bedroom. Right now there are two of the smaller ones beside the passenger as one came with the rig and it's discharged. Need to get the new one mounted.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:44 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Did anyone happen to see the American Coach Eagle at the Tampa show that had emergency fold out stairs in the back bathroom? I think it looked like shelves when in the lock position. I didn't take pictures but thought the exit was a good idea.

John
2015 Newmar Mountain Aire 4503
2013 Jeep Wrangler Moab Edition
Josh2129 is offline   Reply With Quote