Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Emergency Exit

The threads discussing the fire at the front of the DS got me to thinking about why there is no rear door provided. It wouldn't have to be fancy, just another exit point. I don't know that I could even use the exit window in my coach. Not only is it rather small, its recessed in the cabinets and under the TV, with a countertop and drawers under it. Has anyone ever added a large window on the rear of their coach? Mine, like many has no window on the rear cap. It would make for a much better means of exiting in an emergency situation. Just thinking out loud..
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2015, 10:21 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi harleyjt,
I've just replaced the original coach windows with the frameless windows. The exit window in the bedroom is the same overall size. However, the entire window is the exit window. Just flip up the two bottom red colored latches and the entire window pivots outward.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:31 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
We have not upgraded our OEM escape-hatch window (it's in the bedroom in our particular coach), but we have practiced "escaping" through it. It's an exercise that I recommend for everybody. By throwing a blanket over the sill and egressing feet first, it's actually not too bad. The big surprise for us was how far you have to drop to the ground once you get through the window.

Give it a try. You won't be sorry you had practiced it in advance if/when you ACTUALLY do have an emergency.

Hope not, though!

\ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:49 AM   #4

I have been out my escape window, I've also mounted fire extinguishers in the bedroom and bathroom.
The factory location; beside the entry door ; would be of no use, if a fire occurred in the fridge or furnace, blocking my bedroom exit.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:54 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I read somewhere on here that some people put a ladder or step ladder (depending on how far the drop is) under the escape window after they're parked. Seems like a pretty easy precaution to take.

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:06 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I wonder if Newmar would put in a back window larger & closer to the floor for an easy Exit during a fire??
Would have to be a Special Mod at factory...

KE5FTF...Bob & Kathy
Bmaintz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:39 PM   #7

At the Escapees Escapade during Mac The Fireguy's escape session I photographed quite a number of people exciting through the rear exit window. It was really more about technique than difficulty. I will see if I can get permission to publish some of these here
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:50 PM   #8

It does seem to me that the height is an issue. A lot of folks I see (including me) are not in the best shape. If they moved the escape hatch to a real hatch at floor level it would put it close enough to the ground to wriggle out backward and not drop too far. I'd hurt myself going out the normal height window.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:07 PM   #9

This is the one issue I have with RVs. None of they that I've ever looked at had a good fast easy way to get family and our pets out safely.

I see several thing that are needed.

First, exit windows should be low enough to the floor that you can basically step out. One location that would be easy to do this is at the rear potty.

Second, we need something like a aircraft escape slide. They shouldnd take any more space that an awning enclosure.

Third, a roof hatch just in case the vehicle rolls onto its side.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:35 AM   #10

FWIW walk up to the entry door and see where they floor hits you on the body. Ditto bottom of the windows. I do not think there is enough height for a slide aside from the expense. OTOH a floor height door with no steps would not take much room, cost little and put it at a height where most folks could comfortably slide out by either sitting on the edge and then dropping or laying down and sliding out backwards on their belly. Window exists to not give one either a good way to get in position inside or a safe drop height outside.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:56 AM   #11

Just this week on I 95 north a DSDP Had a blowout on pass side front and it burst into flames very very quick. They came out the back window driver side. The entire coach was consumed within minutes. We had a blow out last fall going south on our DSDP passenger front but thank God we had just watch the video on you tube put on by Michelin and knew how to handle it. NO FIRE AS WELL.
1dutchstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #12

How many have tried to even open their escape windows. Many will have the seals stuck to the frame so hard that it is a real fight to get the window to open.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:28 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
The large rear window on our unit does not open at all. That said, it would not be in place if we needed to get out. I'm sure even my 170lbs. could make it open real quick. I do like the additional extinguishers in the bedroom and bath, I could even use the extinguisher to take out the window.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dutchstar View Post
Just this week on I 95 north a DSDP Had a blowout on pass side front and it burst into flames very very quick. They came out the back window driver side. The entire coach was consumed within minutes. We had a blow out last fall going south on our DSDP passenger front but thank God we had just watch the video on you tube put on by Michelin and knew how to handle it. NO FIRE AS WELL.
This is something that I've heard before and that worried me so I had a talk with a company that makes AFFF Fire Systems for Race cars to see if they had anything that might help.

They suggested using an AFFF Fire Systems. Why AFFF foam? Because it's designed to not only put out the fire but it's clings to the rubber and also cools it to keep the fire from reigniting.

He suggested one with remote nozzles placed around the passenger side wheel well. Since the bottle it self can be placed anyplace I'd put it out of the way in the generator compartment. He did suggest using Stainless Steel lines rather than the Aluminum ones so they could take hits from flying rubber.

The fire handle would be placed someplace on the dash in reach of both the driver and copilot.

So when you have a blowout you start slowing down immediately and once you've gained control and determined it's the passenger side wheel you or the copilot pulls the big red "Fire" handle. You don't want to pull it too soon but wait till you slowed.

When pulled this would dump 5 liters of AFFF foam on the tire immediately putting out any fire that's already started and cooling the wheel and tire to keep it from starting again. BTW, 5 liters is a heck of a lot of foam so it's going to be very wet when you exit the coach.

You could put two of them in so the drivers side tire is also covered, it's handle would be on the drivers left side.

You also want a AFFF hand held to use on any rear tires or to backup the passenger side giving more time for any others to exit.

You may also want to put temperature released one in the engine compartment.