Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2016, 01:39 PM   #1

Emergency exit window replacement in Essex

Our 2016 Essex has an emergency exit window in the bedroom and an emergency exit door in the bathroom. I see no need for the bedroom exit and would like to replace the window with a bottom opening window like the other windows in the coach. Newmar will not change it due to legal constraints (which I don't understand. How many emergency exits does the coach need?). I found an independent service facility that will replace it, but they cannot find a window that fits. A Newmar sales person told me others have replaced the window, but she does not know where or how they did it. Anybody have any experience or ideas for replacing this window?
PAMART is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2016, 09:20 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
A custom window can always be ordered. Kinro.com is one company. Whether they can build windows to match the others tho is another question.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:36 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your coach has rear bathroom and fire starts their where do you go to escape?
You may find info to change in this link.
Order from this one.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:23 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMART View Post
Newmar will not change it due to legal constraints (which I don't understand. How many emergency exits does the coach need?).
My guess is that the new rear exit doors on Newmars and other coaches are too new to be certified by RVIA or any other "Official" group so the manufacturers probably still need to put in the window to meet the requirements.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:07 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We want to do the same thing and we were told no as well. The window is approved but the door is not. We were not told what needs to happen to get it approved so that window can open and get some air into the bedroom.
The window has a manufacturer sticker and the dealer can contact them with dimensions for a "replacement" window. Also check to see if any other windows that open on the coach with the same dimensions might need "replacing"! I had to get a part number from Newmar so HEHR could get the dimensions but they were not comfortable with supplying a window replacement..finally did get a part number so we will see how it is and verify what they sent. Remember that all the openings are framed in so trying to enlarge would be a problem.
Bill
Old 08-30-2016, 12:42 PM   #6

If you got a part number out of Newmar, you have accomplished more than I have. Please keep me informed as to what you can do. We really want that window to open.
PAMART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:41 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
easy cheap solution for fresh air in bedroom

I have now fixed the problem with the bedroom window not having a screen! I bought a roll of velcro with adhesive and placed it all around the window on the black metal. I put it on with the 2 sides of velcro attached to one another and one side sticking to the window frame and the sticky part on the other side facing the room. Then I cut a piece of plastic window screen a little larger than the window, and placed it on the sticky velcro. I made a little dart (a fold in the screen fabric) even with the red catches to allow a little bulge in the screen since the catches stick out a little beyond the plane of the window frame. Then I trimmed the excess screen and put black duck tape around the edge of the screen to keep dirt, etc from sticking to the sticky part of the velcro in the screen openings. At the bottom, I used a little of the duck tape to make tabs to make it easier to pull the bottom part of the velcro apart. Now I can pull the bottom of the screen out, open the window, put a small stick in to keep the window open and then velcro the screen back tight. I ordered a set of cheap chopsticks from Amazon to use for the stick to hold the window open since I didn't have anything else handy the right size. I've finished the project a couple of months ago and so far I'm very pleased. I've also put a fan on the dresser facing into the room and so that helps pull the air in.
lucyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:40 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just received at Newmar and about to be sent to us for installation!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8541.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	143998

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8539.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	143999

Supposed to be in 2018 models....just what we wanted!!

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, window