RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2019, 10:09 AM   #15
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
Our coach must have been delivered from Indiana to North Trail in some cold weather because when we bought it (November) the block heater was plugged in and I didn't realize it.
Does the Ventana have a switch to turn the block heater off in the cabinet above the windshield? Our block heater is always plugged in but the switch is turned off.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2019, 01:55 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
Does the Ventana have a switch to turn the block heater off in the cabinet above the windshield? Our block heater is always plugged in but the switch is turned off.
Ventana does not have a switch....I know mine does not. I have to plug it in the outlet back by the engine...and unplug when done.

And, as others have said, I use mine whenever it is below 40 or so...sometimes overnight if really cold. Anything I can do to make the engine happier, I will do. If you take care of your engine, it should take care of you.

richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:45 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/612-R1966ABLKBLKEP

Hose Clamp, LCS, Dia 27mm x 1.6mm, PK10 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M1IVMXM..._sUyKCbSR7GEDE

Johnson Pump 3/4 in. CM30P7-1 Centrifugal Pump 10-24504-03 (Same as 10-24489-03 but hardwire version) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073JNWZ6..._dVyKCbZ04MQN5

ACDelco 16199M Professional 90 Degree Molded Heater Hose https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C9HJOE..._ZVyKCbCWYBS60

I decided to add the engine preheat pump.

If you already have an Oasis System...then there are advantages to doing the preheat system.

1) When you remember at midnight to turn on the block heater, you donít have to go outside to plug it in.

2) You do not need shore power or generator power...Oasis runs off 12vdc.

3) Chances are...if itís cold enough to need engine preheat...itís cold enough that you would be using the Oasis for heat anyway.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:17 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Since OP did not say, assume he does not have oasis system, and no engine preheat. When I used block heater in pickup years ago, parked outside in MT, down below zero every night. I left it plugged in when I was not using it, never hurt the truck, and it always started right up, it was for Navistar 7.2L engine. New coach has oasis, but no engine preheat system, block heater will be turned on for at least 2-3 hours before departure if cold out. Usually take care of nature around 4:30AM, so walking up front and flipping switch is no issue.

FWIW-Newmar it appears (visual picture-no personal experience) has switched 120VAC receptacle in rear compartment of coach, with block heater plugged into that. The switch is someplace either in the bathroom or bedroom area so it's a switched system, no going outside according to what I am seeing and being told by dealer on new coach. Having the oasis preheat coach would be nice, but, something else to go wrong, and "green stripe heater hose" (brand name I think) is designed to take extreme heat (according to friend who use it) which could be the case with engine preheat system.

My current coach has engine preheat (hydro hot system), nice but again, something could go wrong, pump, or hose to break, the block heater is tried and true, and simple, may take longer, I'm retired, nothing to be in hurry about.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:33 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
richpatty is correct, it just has the electrical plug in the rear DS bay. There is a blank switch cover in the overhead marked 'ENGINE HEATER" Ö."ON" "OFF", but no switch. I guess that is one of the reasons a straight Ventana is $100,000 cheaper than a straight Dutch Star.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
richpatty is correct, it just has the electrical plug in the rear DS bay. There is a blank switch cover in the overhead marked 'ENGINE HEATER" Ö."ON" "OFF", but no switch. I guess that is one of the reasons a straight Ventana is $100,000 cheaper than a straight Dutch Star.

Our Ventana does have the outlet in the power bay, and a circuit breaker. Both have to be on in order to have the Engine Block heater active. I plug mine in the power bay outlet before heading inside on cold evenings when planning to travel the next day. When I get up the next morning I flip the breaker from the comfort of then coach. When we get ready to break camp, I flip the breaker and unplug the cord in the outlet.

If it is a particularly cold night, I flip the breaker before heading to bed. The engine...and the floor in the back bathroom are plenty warm by morning. A poor mans version of heated floors (I donít have the Oasis system either. Just a propane furnace and slippers.)
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:33 AM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Flipping the circuit breaker on/off sounds like a good work around on the Ventana. If the circuit doesn't power anything else, I think I would just leave the block heater plugged in during cold weather and have a note on the dash during start up to flip the circuit breaker.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, heat, heating