RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2006, 09:54 AM   #1

I currently have a Cat C9 engine in a DSDP 4320. I recently had Cat reprogram the ECM so that the engine brake is activated when the brake peddle is pressed and not when the foot is removed from accelerator pedal. This allows the coach to drift without the brakes coming on creating a herky-jerky situation. There is some mumbo-jumbo language that is used to describe this change but I do not speak mumbo-jumbo. Additionally, the cruise must be turned on for this operation to work. Can my ordered but not yet built MADP be programmed to operate as described above?

Un-numbered Amigo
Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2006, 09:54 AM   #2

I currently have a Cat C9 engine in a DSDP 4320. I recently had Cat reprogram the ECM so that the engine brake is activated when the brake peddle is pressed and not when the foot is removed from accelerator pedal. This allows the coach to drift without the brakes coming on creating a herky-jerky situation. There is some mumbo-jumbo language that is used to describe this change but I do not speak mumbo-jumbo. Additionally, the cruise must be turned on for this operation to work. Can my ordered but not yet built MADP be programmed to operate as described above?

Un-numbered Amigo
Old 11-29-2006, 10:06 AM   #3

John, I think you are going to have to ask Newmar. I'm sure if it can be done with a Cat it can be also done on the ISM. If Newmar can not do it, I would think Spartan or Cummins could.

Peter
Old 12-06-2006, 05:27 PM   #4

Can my ordered but not yet built MADP be programmed to operate as described above?

No - per Cummins. Mode is not available on their engines.

Un-numbered Amigo
Old 12-06-2006, 05:46 PM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

I believe if you'll check some of our ISL owners over in the Winnebago forum that you'll find they're in fact doing this....

Not sure whether you talked directly to Cummins yourself or your dealer said he called, but I would call Spartan myself...

Me thinks something fishy here...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:58 AM   #6

I got my informatin directly from Cummins via an email inquiry. By he way, it's an ISM engine.

John

Un-numbered Amigo
Old 12-07-2006, 06:00 AM   #7

Hey John, Larry and Cathy got there coach last week and they are loving it. North Trail really came though for them getting a couple of items fixed for them proto. They are pleased with both the coach and dealer.
I still think the Jake change is doable.

Peter
Old 12-07-2006, 09:11 AM   #8

Hi John! Once you get this all figured out you can program our coach to do the same thing. looking foward to seeing you and Pam next week. Paul
Old 12-07-2006, 12:10 PM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lane:
I got my informatin directly from Cummins via an email inquiry. By he way, it's an ISM engine.
John </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lane, I am aware we have an ISM.....What I was saying is that I believed some guys with ISL's over on the Winnebago forum (Winnebago has NOTHING with an ISM) had their Cummins ISL's reprogrammed...

I'll make a call tomorrow to one of my contacts and see what I can find out...

The reason I remember all this is that rvupgrades was marketing the aftermarket device that you install to accomplish this and someone over on the Winnebago forum posted that it's programmable without the device....
Old 12-08-2006, 05:48 AM   #10

Hello Bob,

Thanks for your interest and I certainly appreciate you making a call. I believe this may be of interest to many because the engine brake can be activated via the cruise controls and not the rocker switch. When the cruise is on and I hit the service brakes the engine brake is also engaged. I do not have to hit the rocker switch. It is a safety measure for me.

John

Un-numbered Amigo
Old 12-08-2006, 12:33 PM   #11

I spoke with RVUpgrades today about the engine brake control they sell for $75. He has it on his Winnebago ISL 400 and loves it. If the main rocker switch is off, so is the engine brake....when it's on, just touch the brake equal to having the brake lites coming on and the engine brake comes in...just touch the accelerator and it disengages. ..It seems to be alot safer and simpler to go with this device rather than have some electronic monkey mess with the zillion codes in the ECM and possibly screw up something really important! Who out here has altered the engine brake to work this way, and are you glad you did or not??? And who has the RV Upgrades device and what do you think of it???? thanks
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:57 PM   #12

Is this the device your talking about????

http://www.brakeswitch.com/
Old 12-08-2006, 03:25 PM   #13

That's the one!
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:34 AM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

Winnebago thread regarding this issue...