Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2019, 07:47 AM   #1

Engine coolant leak

So yesterday I started a thread labeled "name that fluid" and just wanted to follow up with a more appropriate title.

Long and short of it is my coolant system was down almost two gallons and leaking worse than I thought.

This was very much of a learning experience for me and I wanted to share.

First, when you have a leak and are unsure of the origin - there are literally FOUR different companies that can get involved - Newmar, Spartan, Cummins and to a lesser extent, Allison (only if it is transmission fluid). This is the first trick - finding what it is so you can at least narrow it down to one or two companies. In this case it was Spartan and Cummins.

Spartan was great throughout the process. They directed me to Coach-Net who was also fantastic - I will be using them moving forward once my Good Sam Roadside contract expires - nothing against Good Sam, but Coach-Net was just fantastic.

I will say that Spartan did tell me that things like hoses, clamps, etc. were NOT covered under their warranty which kind of surprised me. I thought it was all-inclusive for 3 years but they told me it was only mechanical items and that hoses and clamps were more "service" items. Either way they were still very accommodating and would pay for the service call, just not the parts and labor.

Met the mobile mechanic this am and found the leak to be at the FRONT TOP of the engine so that meant we had to take the bathroom floor apart. Let me tell you this is not a fun job. The little caps were siliconed in so I had to destroy those to get to the two bolts that hold the tile floor in, and there is almost no room to pry it up once you get the bolts out. Very easy to damage the tile for sure. Then, there is a subfloor part in there that has six more bolts, but the worst part is that the heat from the engine basically melts the rubber gasket to the subfloor so you need a prybar to get it up.

I WOULD RECOMMEND EVERYONE GET A SMALL PRYBAR AND KEEP IT ON THEIR COACH IN CASE YOU EVER HAVE TO GET ACCESS TO YOUR ENGINE COMPARTMENT.

Once we got it off we were able to locate the leak. It was a clamp that had been overtightened one or two turns and the teeth broke causing it to loosen slightly. Fortunately I had a pack of 40 or so clamps and one that fit perfectly.

I WOULD RECOMMEND EVERYONE GET AN ASSORTMENT OF EXTRA HOSE CLAMPS AT A PLACE LIKE HARBOR FREIGHT (ABOUT 8 BUCKS) IN CASE YOU EVER NEED THEM.

I have posted pics below. Amazing how one extra turn of the wrench can cause such a leak.

I documented everything with photos and kept Spartan in the loop the whole way. In doing this, Spartan agreed to cover the entire cost of the repair.

Everything is back together now and we are good to go. Keeping fingers crossed nothing else is leaking.

This also taught me to check my coolant levels more often. I am embarrassed to admit I haven't been checking them, and to also carry an extra gallon of OAT compatible antifreeze.

Sorry for the long post, and I hope no one else has a problem like this but just wanted to share in case they do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	58523362367__CA82DE51-F8EA-42F0-85E3-5DDA0988B798.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	253806   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8598.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	253807  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8599.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	253808  
Jtrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2019, 08:13 AM   #2
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Thanks for the follow-up, Jeff. Sorry to hear that it was a fairly major leak, but glad you got it fixed. Nice to know, as well, that Spartan stepped up since we are sitting on the same K3 chassis.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:00 AM   #3

On our 18 LA with Spartan K-3 X-15 engine had a similar heater hose leak in the rear of engine. Removed clamp and installed in a different position and no leak. At first it looked like the head gasket was leaking but after taking engine cover off found the hose and clamp that were causing coolant leak.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:15 PM   #4

Always appreciate pictures from operations like this. Can really come in handy in tight situations. Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-19-2019, 02:10 PM   #5

Glad you did the write up. I wouldn't have considered the challenges with getting that access hatch open or needing a pry bar.

I wonder if Spartan will change their position regarding paying for the labor if you show them the picture of the over tightened clamp. I know on the one hand it's part of the checklist to check belts and hoses, but that ultimately came down to a manufacturing defect.

This assumes you had to pay something for the mobile tech beyond what was covered by your coachnet contract.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:50 PM   #6

After taking a close look at the pictures that is the same hose leak area X-12. Looks like Spartan needs a little in service on hoses and clamps.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:32 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
A note on the floor removal. Once you remove the four bolts holding down the tile section, push it toward the cabinet. This opens up a gap so you can pick it up. One poster used a set of large suction cups.

When you get the six bolts out of the metal cover, pull down the smaller hinged area, against the cabinet, and then grab it and pull back to break the seal.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, leak