Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2019, 10:53 AM   #1

Engine Overheating 450 Cummins

We are "broken down" in Camp Verde AZ after overheating coming from Phoenix. Dutch Star 2013 with 450 Cummins. The first repair facility we came to diagnosed our problem as a bad "radiator fan clutch" but the outward appearance of the place was so shabby that we continued to look for another repair facility. The motorhome is drivable as long as we don't hit a grade. It runs hotter than usual on the flat but the temp really rises on a grade; once to the point the check engine light came on.

So we found another place that was pristine and highly rated around here. Coolant is at the proper level with no leaks. Radiator does not appear to have any blockage from the outside and looks clean. The current mechanic has tested the temperature of the fluid going into and then out of the radiator under various conditions. Everything seems correct. He said he was 90% sure it was a thermostat problem. Changed that out and no change in engine temp problem.

We have now ordered a "radiator fan clutch" but will be stuck here for awhile waiting for it to be delivered. We have the option of being towed into the nearest Freightliner 60 miles away up and down hills and curves, but that will be our last resort.

Has anyone changed out the "raditator fan clutch" or had similar overheating problems who can offer us a clue as to what is going on?

Thanks for your time, George Bist 360-670-9328

We are in an awful cell area with limited internet so I hope we can get your responses. Sometimes we can communicate and sometimes we can't.
George Bist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2019, 10:57 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I dealt with this last summer in my 2013 dsdp. The fan clutch fails to the low speed setting, no longer locking into a high speed.

I obtained the parts and attempted the repair myself but was unable to break loose the fan clutch. Ended up having freightliner do the work.

I feel your pain, as I limped it for 200+ miles to Billings, MT. Some very steep climbs took far too long to travel.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:59 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is the post I put up back when it happened. Not much more detail than you already have except for the tool size is 1.75" crows foot.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402225
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:03 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I know it will be pricey, but let Freightliner change out the fan clutch. If the mechanic is good, he should be able to slip the clutch out without too much disassembly. That large nut requires a huge wrench.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:27 AM   #5

George - Let us know how it all works out.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:15 PM   #6

Don't overlook Freightliner 24/7 (864)487-1700...they've come to my rescue, telephonically, on more than one occasion. Nothing but excellent
experiences for me. Good luck! Larry
Old 04-21-2019, 06:21 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi George - This may not apply to your coach but check with Freightliner as many installations allow for locking the clutch on high by removing a bolt and placing it in another position. If your coach is set up this way it will be a bit noisier, the fuel mileage will drop a bit (the fan will be running all the time) but you can safely travel until you get to an area with a mechanic you trust.

Tom
Old 04-21-2019, 08:27 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Since you are north of Phoenix, AZ. Freightliner treated us like kings in 2012 when we had lady hit us and coach was undrivable. They have huge facility, with some parking to stay in rig while they fix it. Hope this works out, and if it was me (that trip down to PHX is better than up) so it won't be as bad as getting to Camp Verde. Assume you are in TT campground there. How is it now, have not been there in several years. I will send you pm with Phone Number if you need to chat.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:41 AM   #9

overheating problem solved

It turns out the radiator fan clutch was the culprit. My DS is now climbing the hills like she used to, hardly moving the temp at all. We were so comfortable with the shop and owner that did the repair that we had him do our annual service a little early. If you are ever broken down in Camp Verde, the shop is: HEFR. Owner: Dave.

Thank you for those that answered my post. All the info was helpful and pointed us in the right direction.

George Bist
George Bist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bist View Post
We are "broken down" in Camp Verde AZ after overheating coming from Phoenix. Dutch Star 2013 with 450 Cummins. The first repair facility we came to diagnosed our problem as a bad "radiator fan clutch" but the outward appearance of the place was so shabby that we continued to look for another repair facility. The motorhome is drivable as long as we don't hit a grade. It runs hotter than usual on the flat but the temp really rises on a grade; once to the point the check engine light came on.

So we found another place that was pristine and highly rated around here. Coolant is at the proper level with no leaks. Radiator does not appear to have any blockage from the outside and looks clean. The current mechanic has tested the temperature of the fluid going into and then out of the radiator under various conditions. Everything seems correct. He said he was 90% sure it was a thermostat problem. Changed that out and no change in engine temp problem.

We have now ordered a "radiator fan clutch" but will be stuck here for awhile waiting for it to be delivered. We have the option of being towed into the nearest Freightliner 60 miles away up and down hills and curves, but that will be our last resort.

Has anyone changed out the "raditator fan clutch" or had similar overheating problems who can offer us a clue as to what is going on?

Thanks for your time, George Bist 360-670-9328

We are in an awful cell area with limited internet so I hope we can get your responses. Sometimes we can communicate and sometimes we can't.
Must be an inherit problem,as I went thru the same problem last fall in my 2013 DS,with the same running chassis. Thought maybe I was the only one with this problem,only have 20,000 miles on mine. Very expensive fix!!!
Bruexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bist View Post
It turns out the radiator fan clutch was the culprit. My DS is now climbing the hills like she used to, hardly moving the temp at all. We were so comfortable with the shop and owner that did the repair that we had him do our annual service a little early. If you are ever broken down in Camp Verde, the shop is: HEFR. Owner: Dave.

Thank you for those that answered my post. All the info was helpful and pointed us in the right direction.

George Bist
so the shabby shop was correct in the first place....

my two cents is when it comes to repair shops, don't judge the book by the cover.....

willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, engine, heat, heating