Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Enternabond questions

Have any of you Newmar owners applied Enternabond tape to the rubber roof seams? How much pressure can you apply when placing over the roofing strips and screws? If I apply too much pressure, can the top of the screws punch through the tape? Have you applied Enternabond to the other seams such as antenna, fans, A/C and skylight? If I had to replace the skylight after applying Enternabond, how hard is it to get the tape off? Any other tips for the Newmar? Thanks ..............

TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The pressure with a paper roller would be placed on both sides of the metal strip with the screws.
You can place around vent openings and skylight but maybe better to place the self leveling sealant in those areas after cleaning.
Heres a link with information on products you may need.
If you go in the Quick Tips link there is more info on roofs and maintenance.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #3

I applied 4 inch wide Eternabond to all the seams on my BriTech roof. I have a 40 coach and it took 100' of Eternabond (and most of a day). The best source of information is Eternabond's own web site at: www.eternabond.com

There are lots of sources at big price differences so I suggest doing a good online search for the best deal. I was informed by the folks at Eternabond that if enough pressure is applied over the roof screws and they cut through; it is NOT a problem as the product is self sealing. The "secret" is to clean the roof where the stuff will be applied and remember it sticks the first time with no chance to rearrange - apply pressure with a 1 - 2 inch wide roller. It doesn't stick to the "stuff" that seals the sky lights so I wouldn't use it around that.

To prove how sticky and tough Eternabond is take a piece and fold it in half with a nickel inside. You will NOT be able, under any circumstances, to get the two halves apart; not without tools anyway!!!!
Old 02-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi TXredfish,
According to the brochure, your coach has a BriteTek roof. This is the same roof I have. Several years ago I installed EternaBond on all my roof seams, around the vents and anything else that is on the roof. So far, everything has worked as advertised (no leaks). As to having the screw heads come through the EternaBond, it would be very difficult for this to happen. Get your hands on some EternaBond and you will quickly forget this concern.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I applied Eternabond to the roof of our rv 7 years ago when it was new. I covered the roof tracks but did not apply pressure to the portion of the tape over the screws. I did use a roller on the sides.

This past year I was on the roof doing some other maintenance when I accidently stepped directly on one of the tracks. This caused several screw heads to cut threw the tape. No problem, cleaned up the area and applied a new section directly over the damaged portion.

By the way, I used Eternabond on or around everything on my roof. Ended up using 150 ft of tape on a 40 footer.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi TXredfish,

If you do a search on Eternabond and-or Britetek roof sealing you will find the info 007 has referred to and maybe my picture of my Eternabonded roof (done this past Summer) Good luck with your research !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2756.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	17806  
Renden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I haven't had to use it on the roof yet but I had a crack on the front of one of my A/C unit covers about 6" long. Applied a piece of the tape on the under side of the cover and everything has held together really well. Eternabond has many uses other than just roofs, check out there website it's a great product.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:35 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Roof still looks good Renden. You do good work.
Thanks for the link dougburi.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote