RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2007, 01:28 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Hi 1st timer,
There is nothing I would do differently back then, even with the knowledge I have today. Once we decide to purchase another coach (and that is another story) we document the top ten things we want, no more and no less. These are deal breakers. I give this list to the salesperson and if they have coaches meeting the requirements, I make an appointment to spend some time at their delaership. The saleperson should show me only coaches that meet my requirements.

Towing capability is on my list. Please consider ensuring it is on your list. You'll find out real quick, the coach is best used to get you from one CG to the next. All other travel is in the toad. Over the life of the coach, you will aquire toys, especially with kids (bikes, not the pedal kind, four wheelers, boat, etc.). Some toys may need to be taken with you.

To the best of my memory, the list we had for my signature coach was:

1. Booth dinnette (must make into a bed)
2. GPS navigation
3. XM radio
4. In motion Direct TV
5. minimum 10K lbs. towing capability
6. 8 seat belted seating positions
7. sleeps 6 people (comfortably)
8. eating positions for 8 people
9. seat in shower
10. Vented washer dryer combo unit

Each time we have done this it has take us quite a while to determine our requirements, for the next coach. For me, if it is not written down it does not exist.

I encourage you to look at the coach set up in the three configurations in which it will be used:
1. traveling (slides in and everybody seat belted. Can you get to the bathroom? Will the kids survive. Can they play or watch TV/videos or whatever entertains them. Is this okay for mom.
2. Eating - slides out and everybody in their eating seat. What does mom think. Can she prepare and serve a meal?
3. Sleeping - Slides out and furniture configured for sleeping. You and mom do the furniture configuration. Are you okay with how the furniture changes from seating to bed? Is everyone okay with their bed? You and mom put the furniture back to the eating or travel position. Are you okay with how the furniture operates?

Is there enough storage for how you will use the coach? Over the life of the coach, cars will come and go. Toys will be aquired. Everybody needs their stuff (within reason).

All this drives my wife nuts, but I am an engineer by education and I recognize my big personality defect is that I am very process oriented. A good process should lead to a happy ending.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2007, 01:46 PM   #16

If you can get heat pumps in the air conditioners, that's a real plus on chilly days. You don't have to fire up the furnace and use propane. I agree with most of what Gary's suggested, although a lot of the items are nice to have but really luxuries. ie: in motion sat tv, GPS, etc. These items can be added later. I also doubt very much that you can get a 10,000 lb tow rating on a gas coach. I think 5,000lb will be the max.

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:08 PM   #17

I would think the Bay Star would fit you fine for what you describe that you want. I had a Workhorse for 4 years --- and in 2003 WH was a superior chassis in a lot of ways. Now in 2007 Ford has made a NEW chassis with lots of improvements - I would give the Ford a hard look for the money difference - and I would probably buy the Ford. Closely check your CCC and towing capacity no matter what you buy.

This is my personal opinion though - At this point in time I would probably NOT buy a NEW motorhome - unless that is the only thing that will make the wife happy. I would find a good used unit - low mileage and hardly used. They are out there and you can get a lot nicer unit and save money in depreciation at the same time. You might even get a 2005 Newmar with some warranty left. But make the wife happy...
Old 01-30-2007, 02:20 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
my 2 cents is I agree with smlranger..look at whats out there in used units at same price or maybe a little less then what the new unit would cost...you might find you can move up a model or 2..plus most of the bugs will have been taken care of..or you might even get up to a dp...
clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:45 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Jack,
My inclusion of items that could be added later is for the ability to include as much as possible in the loan for the initial purchase. Thanks for bringing this up, I forgot to mention it.

1st timer,
This is something to consider when making your purchase. If you are financing the purchase, it might be to your benefit to get the big $ items at time of purchase. This way they are included in the loan. If purchased, at a later date, it may be more difficult to come to terms of paying cash or CC (high interest) or another loan with a much shorter term.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:46 PM   #20

1st timer, I bought Newmars entry level coach in 2005, a Scottsdale. My understanding is that the Scottsdale was replaced by the Canyon Star. We have the WH Chassis and Allison Tranny and love them both. Never drove one based on a Ford.

All Newmars, except the LADP are made on the same production line and the quality is way above most all the others that we looked at. As someone said, even an entry level Newmar is better than many other more expensive ones. You will not be disappointed in your selection. We have only had minor problems with our rig.

Look very close at your Cargo Carrying Capacity of the one you are considering purchasing.

Which model Bay Star are you looking at?
Old 01-31-2007, 04:18 AM   #21

We are looking at a 3202 bay star in the montego blue pattern. It has some options that are above the standard list but alas I am working today and dont have the list in front of me.
1st timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:30 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
1st timer,
Looking at the standard and optional list of features, most of the choices are personal preference and knowing how you will use the coach. There are a couple of items that may be to your benefit since they make RVing safer and more enjoyable.
1. Option Package - generator, rear A/C and EMS system. You'll never regret these features.
2. Electrical Features - 600 Watt Inverter
3. Exterior Features - Convex Mirrors and a rear ladder. Mirrors for safety and one will need to do maintenance on top of the coach.

If you could let us know the town/state you live in and a bit about how you will RV (weekend trips, long trips, cold or hot weather, beach or mountains, etc) it would allow us to focus specifically on suggestions for your area and type of RVing.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:42 AM   #23

Gary,

I live in Winchester Virginia. I am 43 years of age and My wife looks alot younger than me!!!!. We both work she is an RN and I am the production manager at a chemical plant. We have 3 children all boys one is 17 and our twins are 6. A typical year of camping with the TT consist of 2 weeklong vacations one in the north the other in the south. In addition we normally camp every weekend during the late spring summer and early fall season ( I missed 2 weekends last year ).

I currently own a 33a wilderness with one superslide and a 3500 chevy dually to get the TT from place to place. Our plan is that our weeklong trips can be further away from home with a MH, not to mention my sanity when we hit the CG will be much improved. In addition our weekend runs can be made with much less to do on the departure day as well as the return day of travel.

We usually travel south in the spring to the beach normally cutting the journey off at mrytle beach ( this spring we are however planning to go to cape corral in Fla. ) during the mid summer months we head up to the great lake area for a week. Our normal weekend trips are usually in the mtns. of PA, WV, VA, NC, Tenn,. We have in the past stayed at state parks with the limited hookup situation but usually prefer to have full on site animities.

The bay star we are looking at does have all of the features you mentioned in your above post.

I would like to express that with the purchase of a MH we are hoping that our camping experience is expanded further in the season as well as over the road destinations.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:04 AM   #24

1st Timer , your bio is very close to mine. We did the trailer thing and had a ball,just a lot easier in the mh.It cost me less monthly to own this mh compaired to the Truck and TT.Check my rig in sig,paid under 80 and 3 slides are awsome.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:20 AM   #25

Frankie, Glad to hear that your wife looks younger than you as well.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:45 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Based on your bio, I have nothing to add to what has been posted.

Good luck,
Old 01-31-2007, 01:23 PM   #27

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 1st timer:
Frankie, Glad to hear that your wife looks younger than you as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our closest friends still ask her how and why she still does it What a life,its great and gets better and better.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:00 PM   #28

1st timer, will you have an "Automatic Satellite Dish without Receiver" in the Bay Star you are looking at? We started with a tripod mounted satellite dish that had to be setup each time we move and I got very tired of doing it. We bought the Automatic Satellite Dish and LOVE IT. If you and the kids like TV, then it is worth the money in my opinion.