Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2007, 04:10 AM   #1

Hi, I presently own a tow behind 34fter and am considering making a purchase of a new motor home. The model I am looking over is the 07-3202 bay star. As I am a rookie ( ha everyone is at some point ) I was wondering if in general you guys had some advice for me. Any pitfall's I should watch for, secret behind the back handshakes i need to know of.

Thks and hope to see you on the road
1st timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2007, 04:10 AM   #2

Hi, I presently own a tow behind 34fter and am considering making a purchase of a new motor home. The model I am looking over is the 07-3202 bay star. As I am a rookie ( ha everyone is at some point ) I was wondering if in general you guys had some advice for me. Any pitfall's I should watch for, secret behind the back handshakes i need to know of.

Thks and hope to see you on the road
Old 01-30-2007, 05:15 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure there are members that have made the transition from tow behind to A class who hopefully can offer their experience. I think you can look forward to a totally different travel experience. Getting there can be as great, or in some cases greater than being there. Best of luck.

Peter
Old 01-30-2007, 05:32 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I was wondering if in general you guys had some advice for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
1st Timer: WELCOME to iRV2.com We are glad you joined and look forward to more posts from you.

Since you already know the Bay Star is Newmar's newest "entry level" class A, you probably also know it is only offered on the Ford 20,500 GVWR chassis. You will want to look carefully at the weight carrying and towing capabilities.

As a very satisified Newmar owner, I think you'll find their entry level coach on par with other brands "better" models. That said, I would encourage you to look "up" one level to the Canyon Star products because they are available on Workhorse chassis. IMO, there are numerous benefits, the 6 speed ALLISON tranny and the new 5 year-100,000 mile powertrain warranty are prime examples, to having a WCC chasssis in lieu of the Ford product.

Most importantly, buy the one your WIFE likes best! Good luck with your purchase, and again, Welcome to iRV2.com ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:32 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Most importantly, buy the one your WIFE likes best! Good luck with your purchase, and again, Welcome to iRV2.com ED

As you can imagine, she is in love. I personally was suckered into going to look for a bigger 5th wheel as our next step up from the standard tow behind. I think it was the floor plan that she liked the best as we have little ones hugging the carpet still and they have a bit of room to spread some toys.

I have always dreamed of bringing one of the big DP's into the campground and I guess this is a step in that direction. Alas I am young still and have time to step up again in a few years.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:37 AM   #6

Take a close look at the weight limitations as that can be very close at times. Be sure and check the towing capacity. Even if you don't intend on towing a car now, you probably will want to before you get rid of this unit. It gets to be a real pain to unhook the motorhome just to run to the store for milk etc.

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:37 AM   #7

Ok so I need work on the use of quotes (hehe).

Wife walked by and let me know it was the color. She loves BLUE
Old 01-30-2007, 07:09 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">She loves BLUE </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There will be a blue oval in the center of the steering wheel of any Bay Star....but THAT is a poor reason to buy one I stand by my original recommendations. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:29 AM   #9

I also agree with Ed in that you will be much happier with the Workhorse chassis vs the Ford. A lot more power and a much better transmission. That Allyson tranny seems to read your mind as to what gear is needed. It's fabuleous. If you can, try and test drive a motorhome on both the Ford and Workhorse. Even if they are not the same model, you'll see a remarkable difference.

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:14 AM   #10

Theres plenty of happy Ford owners too! Test drive both,read the plus and negative comments here on both chassis ,then decide.One things for sure ,you have plenty of Workhorse support here,that could be a plus. Good luck.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:04 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome 1st timer to irv2.
Both chassis will serve you well you have to drive both to make your desision. The difference is MONEY the Workhorse will be some more of your hard earned cash. For a entry level
both chassis will support the coach, if you were getting a higher entry I would go with WH.
In either case you will have a Newmar for starters you and the wife will be happy with that descision.
Up in the New Rig Show-off forum there are some Topics that may help deside and what to look for as you buy.
GOOD luck in what ever choice and feel free to ask as many questions as needed before you pass that check.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:34 AM   #12

While I would love to own the best of the best My wallet just doesnt seem to agree with me. The wife and I are stepping from a tow behind to the entry lvl MH for just such a reason. I do however have a sense of quality and Newmar seems to be loaded with it. I so far have been able to test drive the ford chassis and while it wasnt sporty certainly seemed to have the muscle to get me down the road. It was of course my very first and only time behind the wheel of a MH and I cant even beguin to make any comparisons to the tow behind.

Was wondering if when you guys all bought into the MH scene was there that one thing you would like to go back and ask the dealer for. Now is the time for me to be making those requests.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:52 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
While certainly not specific to the rig you are considering, I will offer my opinion for your consideration. If I was buying my first MH, I'd give serious consideration to a nice used unit. If you shop carefully, you can move beyond the very entry-level and start out with a much nicer rig. I think you will find there are lot's of 'Boomers' in RV's these days, many with lot's of cash to spend (not all of us, for sure) and they trade these things regularly...sometimes just to get a few upgrades that may not be a big deal for you. Now, if you just have to have new, that is your choice. We've bought both our motorhomes used and have been satisfied with the results. This is a buyer's market now.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:11 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Was wondering if when you guys all bought into the MH scene was there that one thing you would like to go back and ask the dealer for. Now is the time for me to be making those requests. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dual pane windows,surround sound system and Sat tv. I have done a few mods myself also.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote