Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2017, 09:51 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Equalizer leveler came on while driving

I’m driving 65 down the highway tonight and out of nowhere my equalizer turns on and starts beeping and I hear my levelers in motion I assume going down!! I immediately within 1-2 seconds hit ALL RETRACT and heard them reverse and then stop. I then powered off the equalogic.

Anyone had this happen? I thought there was an ignition lockout. I can’t imagine what would happen if the levelers hit ground. I’ll report this to Newmar ASAP.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2017, 09:45 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I recall some comments on some RVs that placement of the keypad being in a location where it could be accidentally activated. Don't know if this is possible in your RV, but it's worth considering.

Normally jacks are prevented from deploying when the parking brake is off or transmission not in neutral or park. I'd be checking the documentation on the leveling jacks installation to be sure safeguards haven't been bypassed.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:58 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
[ moderator edit ]I think I will do a test with the engine running while parked and see what happens to test the lockout.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:39 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Do your jacks retract hydraulically or with assist of coil springs?

I have Lipperts without the springs, and if hydro fluid is a bit low, it senses this and will come alive while underway. Even though the jacks are up it will "retract" for two seconds with a beep and all's well. Kind of freaked me out too.

So maybe check 3 things Neal.....hydro reservoir level, leaks at jacks and lines, and lastly, whether or not you can calibrate your jack system electronics with the jacks.

Regards,
W.D.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:42 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine are not retracted with springs.

I just did a test and I can Level with the engine running. They do extend. I’m curious if when the audio people replaced my dash radio if they messed some wiring up?
Old 12-16-2017, 10:57 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I have Equalizer jacks as well, even though in a Bay Star. If I don’t have the parking brake set they do not attempt to level.
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:06 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Look up an installation manual for your make, model of leveling system. See if interlocks are supposed to be used for safety. Leveling with the engine running just means the alternator is supplying extra volts for the pump, not all bad. Did you have the parking brake off during the test? (block the wheels) Most systems don't allow jack power with the parking brake off. Also, test if it makes a difference with the transmission in Neutral or Drive. Does your transmission have a Park position? If it does, I'd think that would be a condition to only energize the jacks while in Park with the parking brake on. If no safety interlocks, that could explain how they'd become energized while traveling down the highway. Then it could be a problem introduced by the stereo installer.

A call to Newmar would also be in order to explain how they come on while driving.

Bob & Donna
Old 12-16-2017, 11:11 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Talked to the radio installer. That’s not it. I just did a test and with parking break off the leveler does not function and shows a light to engage parking brake. Sounds like an electrical fluke that I cannot repeat.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:32 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Neal, not sure if the is appropriate for yours or not but, on my coach if I should be in a bit of a hurry and stop my retract cycle before it is complete I may get an alarm as I am driving even though I am in the travel mode. I must turn the system on then hit the store button to allow the cycle to complete. It happens when I leave in a cool morning and the temp increases causing expansion (at least that is my idea).
Old 12-16-2017, 03:04 PM   #10

There has been a couple of times, while in park, this has happened to me. As a matter of fact it happened, today while I was charing my batteries with the engine running. The equalizer system started to beep, but the jacks were not going down. The park break light was on since I did not have the park break engaged. I just hit the retract button and shut it off when everything was quite. But I am sure its because my elbow hit something while sitting in the chair. Never had it go off while driving.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I don’t rush at the campground especially with the leveler routine from early after getting my coach and having a few issues airing up (sticking shuttle valve). I had the dash radio installer review wiring at his request even after telling him I’m sure it’s not his work. I cannot reproduce the issue. He obviously didn’t want to have liability of me cartwheeling down the highway from levelers coming down. I’ll see if Newmar comments this week but I think this is just a “stray tron” as we call it in the flying world.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:50 PM   #12

I *think* that the system will try and maintain a minimum up pressure in the system when stowed. I have had a few times where the rig was parked for a few months (jacks up) and when I released the brake and put it in drive the equalizer system immediately engaged in the up mode.

I wonder if while you were driving the up pressure dropped to a level that it didnt like and it was trying to stow them.
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:23 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotspike View Post
I *think* that the system will try and maintain a minimum up pressure in the system when stowed. I have had a few times where the rig was parked for a few months (jacks up) and when I released the brake and put it in drive the equalizer system immediately engaged in the up mode.

I wonder if while you were driving the up pressure dropped to a level that it didnt like and it was trying to stow them.
That's what I'm hoping too but there is no way to know which way they are going to sheer panic is all you can do Ironically I had a situation when at FL with the very cold morning getting the coach ready to give to the FL tech, I noticed one leveler didn't come up all the way so I had to hit all retract a second time. Not sure if the extreme cold (in this area) is related to this, however, while driving it was in the mid 40's.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Either consult the owner's manual for your jacks or contact the manufacturer and ask if they are supposed to automatically come on and pump the jacks UP when they sense low pressure or a jack not fully retracted. Maybe it's normal, but I can imagine if the pump suddenly came on while driving I'd need a change of underwear. If it's not a feature of the system, then further research is needed.

Bob & Donna