RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2018, 08:11 AM   #1

Erratic Black Tank Reading

My holding tank readings on both Silverleaf displays have been very accurate and reliable since purchase of coach in July 2017. However, about two weeks ago the black tank became erratic in terms of accuracy. I thought the sensors were adhered to the outside of the tank but after investigating the rear of the tanks (behind the outside TV) I can not find the sensors. What little info I found on Newgle wasnít helpful in helping to locating the sensor. It appears Newmar uses a pressure sensor of some type.

Has anyone has similar problem or can add info to the discussion. Thanks!

Quinton

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2018, 08:24 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wqmiller View Post
It appears Newmar uses a pressure sensor of some type.

Has anyone has similar problem or can add info to the discussion. Thanks!

Quinton
You mean liquid LEVEL sensors. Not pressure sensors.

Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buly View Post
You mean liquid LEVEL sensors. Not pressure sensors.

Hello Buly

That could be the proper description of the sensor. I was only stating what I got from the Newgle site for my coach. I am posting a pic of the Newgle page....
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0058.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	193346

This pic clearly describes a pressure sensor. Iím guessing this would work. Iím not near my coach at the moment but I THINK I recall seeing a similar looking device attached to the bottom side of the black tank on drivers side. Will check tomorrow.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:28 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Thatís interesting. Canít see why they will measure pressure in the black tank, which is vented to the outside. I had two Kavlico pressure sensors on my plane. They are very good quality 3 wire sensors. I would bet there is a bad intermittent electrical connection somewhere.
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buly View Post
Thatís interesting. Canít see why they will measure pressure in the black tank, which is vented to the outside. I had two Kavlico pressure sensors on my plane. They are very good quality 3 wire sensors. I would bet there is a bad intermittent electrical connection somewhere.

Good point. I agree these are not cheap sensors. My guess is they may be measuring the ďweightĒ of the liquid? Would that make sense? Guessing Iím going to call my good friend at Newmarís customer service!
Old 02-23-2018, 12:22 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Quinton".....On my Dutch Star the black tank sensors are on the side of the black tank, just behind the wet bay wall. Their on the side that faces the grey tank. If you take a camera or mirror and look under the wet bay wall, you'll see the three sensors. They're black, about 1" square, with a big white "X" in the middle. I can reach under my wet bay wall and feel all three. They measure 1/3rd, 2/3rds and Full. If one falls off, it can cause issues. If I recall, you can also place your finger or thumb over the sensor and cause it to read inside the coach.

I recently had issues with my red toilet lights not coming on when my black tank was full. I rely heavily on those lights since I never look at tank levels. The lights are active by a float inside the tank. On mine, that float is drilled into the top of that tank at the pegboard wall end, or your TV wall end.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:26 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have to agree with Don, never heard of weigh sensors on Newmar tanks, only pad sensors on side walls of tanks.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Have to agree with Don, never heard of weigh sensors on Newmar tanks, only pad sensors on side walls of tanks.
Agree, The other thing that will throw these sensors off is a film on the inside wall of the tanks (black or grey). When I get this condition I add a scoop of Happy Campers to the tanks, after dumping and rinse, fill to at least 1/3 to 1/2 full and drive to the next stop. Dump the tanks first thing on arrival, rinse and add a few gallons of water with a scoop of HC.
I usually find this happens early in the year after sitting in storage for months. Have never had a problem during steady use.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"Quinton".....On my Dutch Star the black tank sensors are on the side of the black tank, just behind the wet bay wall. Their on the side that faces the grey tank. If you take a camera or mirror and look under the wet bay wall, you'll see the three sensors. They're black, about 1" square, with a big white "X" in the middle. I can reach under my wet bay wall and feel all three. They measure 1/3rd, 2/3rds and Full. If one falls off, it can cause issues. If I recall, you can also place your finger or thumb over the sensor and cause it to read inside the coach.

I recently had issues with my red toilet lights not coming on when my black tank was full. I rely heavily on those lights since I never look at tank levels. The lights are active by a float inside the tank. On mine, that float is drilled into the top of that tank at the pegboard wall end, or your TV wall end.

Dutch Star Dan and others

I found my sensors and they are exactly like the pic in my post above that I copied from my Newgle account. I found these screwed into the sidewall of the black and grey tanks. There are three wires going to a very small circuit board which is encased in heat shrink with wires going to a Silverleaf interface box. I went to the manufacturers website and the describe the function and microvoltages that the sensors produces. Iím convinced they sense the weight of the liquid in the tank and Silverleaf interface module converts to a percentage reading.

I have more research to do. BTW I do not have the small packages mounted on the exterior wall as you describe. Thanks for describing your installation. My coach is a 2017 LADP 4533. For once it seems like the Newgle account was helpful. The concept is great if Newmar will just get the information current

Thanks all for your inputs. I will more as I learn more.

Quinton

Tags
black tank, tank