Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2018, 08:16 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Erratic Readings for Black Tank on New (2018) Tank Monitor

We have the new tank monitor which worked great initially. After using it for about 1.5 months it stopped reading 0 for the black tank after dumping. Watching the display, it would go down to 0 as the tank was emptying but a few seconds later it jumps back up to anywhere from 50 to 65%. Flushing it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I'm curious how many people are having similar problems with this new system.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EmptyBlackTank65.png
Views:	292
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	212914

Thanks,
Dan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2018, 09:14 AM   #2
GKU

Following this thread to find out the answers to this one.
GKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:35 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxg0001 View Post
We have the new tank monitor which worked great initially. After using it for about 1.5 months it stopped reading 0 for the black tank after dumping. Watching the display, it would go down to 0 as the tank was emptying but a few seconds later it jumps back up to anywhere from 50 to 65%. Flushing it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Attachment 212914

Thanks,
Dan
Had similar issue with false readings on water. Returned to dealer for recalibration.
Fitztrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:02 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We spent 2 1/2 mo on the road and we did have any major problems with the tank gauges until we left our last stop in New Orleans. I dumped the tanks and I thought all was good for the ride home to So Fla until the wife went to use the 1/2 bath to pee and she said the red light was on the flush button so I went looking for some bumps in the road hoping that would take care of the problem but it didn't and it read 100% full... Some time over the next 2-3hrs of driving it freed up and all was good the rest of the way home... Even after dumping before this it rarely went back to 0% I'll be taking it to the Mothership on Oct 1 and I will have it addressed then with the other 30+ items...
Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:04 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
We have the identical problem. Sometimes the amber "getting full" light shows just after emptying.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:20 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertboyz View Post
We have the identical problem. Sometimes the amber "getting full" light shows just after emptying.

I have had the same issue on the black tank. Flushing with the black water rinse has always resolved the issue.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:12 PM   #7

I have the same issue. After dumping and flushing the black tank, it will read in 40% area. Sometimes eventually goes back down the next day. Gray tank & fresh water level seems to read correctly.

Ken C
2018 DS 4052
Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:43 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
I have the same issue. After dumping and flushing the black tank, it will read in 40% area. Sometimes eventually goes back down the next day. Gray tank & fresh water level seems to read correctly.

Ken C
2018 DS 4052
Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Same problem. It takes a couple of flushes to get it to go down but it never goes to the bottom like it did in the beginning.

Will be at the plant on the day after Labor Day for a list of about 20 items. Most just little adjustments.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:21 PM   #9

Erratic Readings for Black Tank on New (2018) Tank Monitor

Residue left on the tank walls. Try Happy Camper, it works.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:54 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
Residue left on the tank walls. Try Happy Camper, it works.

We are actually in Nappanee for warranty work. The consensus is that there is residue on the wall, however, the system is supposed to deal with a bit of residue. They had the developer (KIB) of the monitoring system looking at it. In fact, they brought in the programmer to improve the algorithm. It all looked good when they tested by filling it with water then dumping. Tested several times and it went down to 0. First time of "real" use it's back to the same problem. And yes, we are using Happy Camper.

We are still waiting to see if they come up with a solution ...
Old 08-02-2018, 08:22 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Mine quit working completely - it showed zero levels on the tanks and no readings on the batteries. My coach has been at the dealer for more than 2 weeks getting it replaced. The replacement panel was also defective, so now we're waiting on the second one from Newmar/KIB.
Ventana303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:35 AM   #12

We have been having issues with the gray tank monitor. It won't go to zero after dumping. It goes down to 10 or 15%.
Even after a good rinsing and driving a few miles with it nearly full of soapy water it didn't solve the issue.
Pikkleballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:00 AM   #13

Occasionally we would get false readings with black tank due to residue... since adopting a routine of adding Dawn dish soap each time we empty and a capful of water softener in areas with hard water, plus a heavy tank rinse every 3rd time we empty... we have had zero problems. One time we had a false read on the gray tank but hasn't happened since (fingers crossed).
roadwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:57 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxg0001 View Post

Attachment 212914

Thanks,
Dan

I have the same problem, most of the time. I've learned to ignore it. If someone finds an answer, I'd like to know. My grey tank always fills way before black, so I just dump both everytime.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, monitor, tank