RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #1

Erratic temperature spikes last night????

Took the bus to a grandsons football game last night out in the Texas panhandle. On the trip home we stopped in Dumas for a bite and topped off the tank. Headed back to Borger about 8 pm and the temps outside where about 45 degrees. We had just fired up the floor furnace to warm the coach up a little and the wife noticed the smell coming from the furnace. She thought something was wrong and I informed her that was normal but I did start watching the engine temp and noticed the engine temp started climbing from the normal 190 that it has ran from day one to 210 or so. As soon as I noticed this, I immediately let off the throttle and started coasting. The temps started coming back to normal. I was running about 45 mph so I eased back into it and the temps started coming up again. I backed off of it again and the temps came back down. I eased back into it and eased it up to about 50 mph. I ran this for a few miles and the temps leveled out at 195. I started easing the speed back up slowly while watching the temps. I was able to get my speed up to 65 mph and left the cruise on and made it back to the son's home without any more issues.
I have a new to us 02 Dutch Star with the 330 hp Cat with 33500 miles of which I have put the last 3000 miles on. I have not been into to cooling system sense we have owned the coach.
It acted like the system had an air pocket in it allow for the erratic flux in the temps.

Anybody had a similar experience? and if so how did you resolve it? Things I should check or have checked before we head home?

We will be heading back home on Sunday about 300 miles and dont really want to have any problems out on the road.

Thanks in advance

Terry

Tevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2014, 11:54 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Terry... I can't really see how the furnace would have any connection. I also have an '02 DS 40, 330 Cat. The only engine temp problem I've had occurred pulling grades in summertime Idaho/Utah. It was directly caused by accumulated leaves, twigs, and other crud between the radiators/coolers (a huge pile). Also pressure washed/steam cleaned all the radiator vanes-- unbelievable crud washed out. Since then rock solid on 190* in all conditions.

Good luck and congrats! We love our '02- 2-1/2 years now.

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:03 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Check your coolant level. Do you have an Aqua Hot system that uses engine coolant to heat water or add to furnace heat? That's the only reason I can think that you'd see some temperature difference when furnace is on. Did you have a head wind, making the engine work harder? If no issues show up, I'd just monitor the engine temperature. If the temp goes up next time, try downshifting to increase engine RPM, which also increases fan speed and water pump circulation instead of just slowing down. Idling along at 45 mph might slow down coolant circulation and cause heat retention, not increase cooling.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #4

Has the cooling system been flushed at all?
GScherrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #5

I just went out and double checked the system and the radiator return tank shows max coolant level and gave it the once over looking for possible leaks in the system and found none. I havent had the system flushed which I probably will have here real soon just because of the age. I'm sure it is the factory coolant.
I didn't tell all the story. I have just had a MP-8 tuner installed and I was running it all the way up. When I seen the temps acting funny, the first thing I done was turned the tuner off. Then rolled along and the temps came back to the 195 but not the 190 where it has always runs.
I absolutely love the throttle response and the way the bus drove on the trip over on Thursday. But I kept an eye on the temps on the way over because of the new tuner and never had a problem. This is also the first time that I have used the economy button on the tranny. I also like the fact that my mileage has gone from 6.5 to 7.2 buy running in the economy mode and the tuner. I have a new high flow thru muffler that will be installed her in the next week or so and hoping to gain the full 1 mpg for my updates.
I did shift out of the economy mode and turned the tuner off and drove the rest of the way in but the temps never returned to the normal 190??
By the way. I can not tell you how much better the addition of the tuner has made in the drivability. The shifts are firmer and the acceleration in the mid range is just awesome. Driving in town is like driven a complete and total different best and for the better.
I really dont feel that the tuner caused this issue but maybe the economy mode might have. The one thing I didnt like about the economy mode was trying to go around someone. The tranny didnt want to down shift. So when I wanted to pass someone, I had to turn off the eco mode which is kind of a pain.
Now bear in mind, I fully understand that I could prolly greatly increase my mpg's if I were to slow down from my 68 to 70 mph or 1700 to 1900 rpm's but I just can't seem to make myself drive along at 60 to 65 mph. Just cant do it, lol
Anyway back to the temps. I thought about a bad ground to the gauge but havent had time to have that looked at yet either????
Old 11-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #6

I'd guess it's definitely your tuner. Tuners will make your exhaust gas temps go up which will soak into your coolant temp. Do you have an egt gauge? If you're going to run a tuner, you should.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:59 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Definitely tuner related. When you are in economy mode you are lugging the engine to keep the rpms down and get better fuel economy. With the tuner on the engine it will run hotter because of the extra fuel it is getting and lugging and extra fuel mean heat. I had similar experience with pickups that I put tuners on, just have to pay attention to all gauges when lugging or pulling hard with the tuner on. Randy
Old 11-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Now, with more of the story, I agree, it's most likely the tuner adding fuel, which means more heat. Your next investment should be in an EGR gauge so you know how hard you're working the engine with the tuner, economy mode, etc.

It wouldn't hurt to clean the exterior of the cool pack too. Simple Green or the like sprayed on both sides of the radiator, inner cooler, etc. then spray with a hose. I wouldn't recommend using a power washer, it can bend the radiator fins.

In addition, if your engine is old enough to have a slobber tube, putting a vented container on the end of the tube can help keep oil and dirt from building on the radiator, especially if it's a rear radiator rig.

Interesting you are spending so much on improving mileage with a tuner and modified exhaust when the single biggest improvement would be to slow down!! If you do a cost vs. miles analysis, how far will you have to go to recoup expenses of your modifications as apposed to driving 5 mph slower?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Definitely tuner related. When you are in economy mode you are lugging the engine to keep the rpms down and get better fuel economy. With the tuner on the engine it will run hotter because of the extra fuel it is getting and lugging and extra fuel mean heat. I had similar experience with pickups that I put tuners on, just have to pay attention to all gauges when lugging or pulling hard with the tuner on. Randy
Old 11-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Tevans......You never did say if you have the AquaHot system. The tuner sounds like it could have caused an issue, but if you have AquaHot and it was attempting to circulate coolant to heat the tank, you may have a thermostat issue or air in the lines to the AquaHot.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:09 PM   #11

Sorry about that. I do not have a Aqua Hot but wish I did lol and the coach has the radiator on the side. I'm not sure about the slober hose yet but I will have it checked out for sure.

The first thing I thought of was the tuner also but even after I turned it off the temps didn't return to its normal 190.. It was close at 195 but still not its normal. We had driven over on Wednesday in the heat of the day around 70 degrees and had no problems at all. So I find it hard to point to the tuner.

As far as the 400 tuner and the 300 muffler installed for a total of 700.00 If I can pick up a full 1 mpg, it shouldn't take very long at all to make up 700.00 With the 100 gal tank and you gain another 100 miles from the same tank???

I know I prolly should and could slow down but I'm just not wired for those kind of speeds just yet. Just like on every new truck I get, thats the first thing I do is wheels and tires, tuner, cold air intake and high flow exhaust. When I installed the 34 in tires and 20 in wheels on my 2013 4x4 Ecoboost v6, my mileage went form around 18 mpg at 80 mph to around 13.5 mpg. Now that hurt. Now with the new tuner, cold air intake and new muffler. I'm back up to around 16 to 16.5 at highway spds. Yes I could slow down and get better mileage but wheres the fun in that??? lol

So I will play with it on the trip home on Sunday and hopefully I wont have any issues or problems??
Old 11-10-2014, 04:23 PM   #12

Update;

Drove from Borger, TX to Amarillo, about 45 miles thru rolling hills with the tuner on and the eco mode on the tranny. Temps started rising. Turned off the eco mode and problem solved.
Drove home last about 380 miles. the first 250 with tuner off and played with eco mode. Its really flat land driving so seen no spikes. Drove the last hundred thru rolling hills with eco mode on and tuner set at max with no problems????
Looks like to me that the radiator is due to for a good cleaning. When conditions are right with the eco mode on, the temps will rise regardless of tuner on or off.
The bus drives better, pulls harder and the shifts are firmer. Best 400 investment so far on the bus. jmo

Terry