RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2006, 10:53 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A Newmar story for a first timer to this forum.

We have a 2005 Newmar class A and on our third trip this year we found ourselves locked in the coach. We were stopped for lunch in a vacant commercial lot with no one around

and about 100 degrees outside. What happened (we later found out)is that the upper lock on the door was locked (dead bolt) and the knob to unlock it was stripped out. I even broke

off the plastic knob and attemped to unlock it with some plyers. My 37 yr old daughter had to go out the escape window in the bedroom and jump to the gravel below and unlock it

with the keys from the outside. Have you ever attempted to go out one of these? It's a really high jump! The window sill is sharp, no handles, someone needs to hold the window out

etc. I am considering buying a 12 ft telescoping ladder and putting it on the bedroom closet floor They are very compact and easy to use. To operate just find the proper height

needed to go from the window to ground and mark that step. To use it just hold that marked step and let it fall out the window. This ladder then can be used for the many other tasks I

have read here. I know for fires etc it's get out the window then lick your wounds but in case of non life treatening times like a slide into the ditch or problems with the door.

I told this story on another forum and it created quite a discussion on saftey and escape planning and methods. Thank God we wern't on fire and had time to plan.

Happy trails

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2006, 10:53 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A Newmar story for a first timer to this forum.

We have a 2005 Newmar class A and on our third trip this year we found ourselves locked in the coach. We were stopped for lunch in a vacant commercial lot with no one around

and about 100 degrees outside. What happened (we later found out)is that the upper lock on the door was locked (dead bolt) and the knob to unlock it was stripped out. I even broke

off the plastic knob and attemped to unlock it with some plyers. My 37 yr old daughter had to go out the escape window in the bedroom and jump to the gravel below and unlock it

with the keys from the outside. Have you ever attempted to go out one of these? It's a really high jump! The window sill is sharp, no handles, someone needs to hold the window out

etc. I am considering buying a 12 ft telescoping ladder and putting it on the bedroom closet floor They are very compact and easy to use. To operate just find the proper height

needed to go from the window to ground and mark that step. To use it just hold that marked step and let it fall out the window. This ladder then can be used for the many other tasks I

have read here. I know for fires etc it's get out the window then lick your wounds but in case of non life treatening times like a slide into the ditch or problems with the door.

I told this story on another forum and it created quite a discussion on saftey and escape planning and methods. Thank God we wern't on fire and had time to plan.

Happy trails

Old 10-29-2006, 01:44 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good job KayLarGO never really thought about getting out that window. My wife would have a harder time with it also.
Have had a rope ladder but it still would be differcult.
Will have to look into the folding ladder they are expensive but so is your life.
Thanks for the info would you like to be made a member of this Newmar Forum.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:28 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
By the way here is a good site to see the telescoping ladder in action. [URL=http://www.rewci.com/tellad.html]
You can buy them cheaper than here but it shows what it can do. I tried this in our rv and by grabbing one of the top steps in the folded position and pointing it out the window, it just falls and telescopes to the ground. There is an 8 1/2 ft one that would be perfect for just escape but the 12 1/2 would be nice to reach the top of the RV. The 8' is 21 lbs and the 12' is 24 lbs.

Also 007, I would like to be a member of the Newmar forum. THank you for the offer.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:52 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the added info Larry and just below in the signature block you can add your MA info so everyone can see.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:01 PM   #6

I recently attended an Escapee Escapade in Van Wert OH and went to a fire and safety seminar that addressed this exact situation.

Here is how they explained it.

1. Open the emergency escape window
2. Put a quilt or pillows over the lower sharp edge of the window
3. Allow the woman to start out the window, feet first on her belly. Remember the window will bang you on head several times during this escape.
4. The man will lock arms with the woman and lower her out the window where she many have to jump/fall down the last few feet.
5. The man will be already partially out the window from helping his wife, so he can continue out head first with the wife helping him down. Wife might be able to pull a picnic table over to help the husband.

During a fire, they indicated that you might only have about 20 seconds to get out.
They also recommended practicing this technique. We have not done it, but might someday.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:23 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thats funny yet its not. Understand you but 20 sec would be pushing it, if your a slim person you may make it, but for a heavy person, DW , its going to be differcult just getting out of that small window. If there is a fire the ladder and blanket over window frame will help while I fend off fire with fire extinguisher that I placed in bedroom last summer. Fire moves pretty fast in these motor homes may need extra fire alarm also.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:09 PM   #8

I've never thought of the necessity to use an escape window for other things than a fire. I figured a fire would give you extra reason to exit quickly. I have two escape windows, one behind the driver and one on the passenger side in the bedroom. Both would be a big jump down.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:57 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bw3tnz28:
I recently attended an Escapee Escapade in Van Wert OH and went to a fire and safety seminar that addressed this exact situation.

Here is how they explained it.

1. Open the emergency escape window
2. Put a quilt or pillows over the lower sharp edge of the window
3. Allow the woman to start out the window, feet first on her belly. Remember the window will bang you on head several times during this escape.
4. The man will lock arms with the woman and lower her out the window where she many have to jump/fall down the last few feet.
5. The man will be already partially out the window from helping his wife, so he can continue out head first with the wife helping him down. Wife might be able to pull a picnic table over to help the husband.

During a fire, they indicated that you might only have about 20 seconds to get out.
They also recommended practicing this technique. We have not done it, but might someday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In another forum and lenthy discussions on this subject, what you learned was our conclusion. Using the comforter from the bed, the wife first then the man head first if needed. It may not be pretty and it will hurt but.....your not on fire.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:17 PM   #10

007, the fire extinguisher in the bedroom is a great idea. At the fire/safety seminar, they suggest that you have 5. One in the toad that you can reach from the drivers seat with seatbelt on. The other 4 in the motorhome.