Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2008, 03:02 PM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheJazzMan:
Where should I have the conduit routed? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The following has info on the conduit and more:

http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9486094452/m/...10111441#10610111441

Sue
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2008, 06:57 AM   #16

Conduit - as the conduit guy I'd make sure to run it everywhere. Especially from the front panel to the AV cabinet and run 2-3 runs from the AV cabinet to the basement and maybe even the front control cabinet to the basement.

One key conduit I'd run is a 1 inch line along the chassis frame rails. All the way from the front nose all the way to the rear bumper. Do it in both frame rails. Makes it real easy to play tow wire games and other things. I' also ask to run the chassis conduits through an access box on each run where the conduit enters and exits inside the finished basement.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:44 AM   #17

I've been compiling a list of specials based on conversations with folks here and searches I've done. Here's the list. I would appreciate comments.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Mount small monitor for cameras on dash by pillar left of driver seat
<LI>Pre-wire for 5-LNB satellite dish
<LI>Villa furniture - substitute Signature line
<LI>Extra ac outlets in basement - one near each door
<LI>Surround sound connected to tv in living area (if not std)
<LI>110V Outlet inside bathroom sink cabinets (for electric toothbrush)
<LI>Delete phone jack in Bedroom
<LI>All Bedroom/Livingroom carpet from King Aire
<LI>Sanicon system
<LI>Replace mirrors in cabinets with raised panels
<LI>Built-in TV in bedroom like 2008 Essex
<LI>Dark ginger glaze on cabinets (slightly darker than brochure photos)
<LI>Add Vac-pan on toe-kick
<LI>Raise dryer as high as possible and add drawer (no face) between W & D
<LI>AC outlet on wall behind pass seat (if not there already)
<LI>45' - 50 amp cord
<LI>prewire for 2nd rear camera
<LI>prewire for outside entertainment center (if not std)
<LI>3/4" conduit - front panel to AV cabinet
<LI>3/4" conduit - front panel to basement
<LI>3/4" conduit - AV cab to basement (2)
<LI>1" conduit - length of coach in each frame rail w/access box in basement
<LI>mount shower head bar in corner (add Corian filler in corner f/ mount)
<LI>solar panels and controller capable of charging house and cranking batteries (at least prewire)
<LI>adjustable shelves in cabinets
<LI>sewer door support arm - mount on top
<LI>upgrade comfort air mattress to memory foam model or pillowtop 700
<LI>lower side rearview mirrors
<LI>air kit for air force 1 braking system
<LI>use spare Spartan wire to activate light on dash f/ toad brakes
<LI>1 button f/ electric shades[/list]

2009 Essex 4508
TheJazzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:22 AM   #18

I'd have someone like AMSolar.com do your solar. You'll get far superior technology. Also plumb conduit to maybe 3 equal spaced locations on the roof to whichever cabinet you'll mount the solar controller in or run them to basement.

Make sure to spec that a pull cord is placed in each conduit.

Move any 110v outlet that is mounted on the underside of a cabinet to the wall. Bath/lav/kitchen.

Consider hi/lo dimmer switches on most existing halogens

Add halogen downlight directly over lav and bath sinks on a hi/lo switch. This is really a very nifty feature.

Add halogen downlights (2) in shower.

Good call on moving the shower head mount bar.

Consider adding the Oasis engine preheat pump option if not already installed.

If not an all electric coach add the extra AGM batteries to bring it up to 8 AGM batteries.

I think they do this now but run a cable from the video out of your dash nav system to the forward TV video in.

Add adjustable shelves (if not there already) in all the kitchen cabinets.

Consider adding an extra gas strut to the bed lifter - makes it far easier to lift.

Add 2/3 slideout trays to bays 3 and 4 on the DS (door side).

Add the second eplex panel in the bedroom

Add a separate dash monitor for the rear/side cam and wire AV1 input to be switched side/rear cam and AV2 input to be rear cam only. You probably can't also wire in the video of the in dash as well unless they install a video amplifier - the cameras can't really power 2 monitors.

Consider the remote rear camera

For your laptop/hutch consider having it done with the black distressed finish (offsets all the wood wood all around the place)

Upgrade to the true Smartire tire pressure monitor - the standard one is just a single light I think which is pretty worthless

That should give you some things to think about...
Old 11-03-2008, 08:54 AM   #19

On the central vac add a hose receptacle in the basement accessible from the door side so you can vac your toad and the basement.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:07 AM   #20

Thanks, Jeff. ... just a couple questions about your suggestions.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Add 2/3 slideout trays to bays 3 and 4 on the DS (door side). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you're careful and don't put tall items on the slides, isn't it better to get the full-width tray instead of losing 1/3 of it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Upgrade to the true Smartire tire pressure monitor </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Might this feature already be standard?

2009 Essex 4508
Old 11-03-2008, 09:22 AM   #21

Your list looks very complete. I would suggest you ask Ken W. if your coach will be ready before the 2010 model comes out. After all, my coach, with a list much smaller than yours, took 6 months to comnplete.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:57 AM   #22

My list has grown a little since Ken last saw it, but hopefully not enough to delay it much from his middle of Feb/09 estimate. When do you think the 2010's will go into production? I thought I had heard July.

2009 Essex 4508
Old 11-03-2008, 10:03 AM   #23

I don't know, but usually it is March/April.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #24

The "standard" tire system I last saw was a single light that comes on when one of the eight tires has improper pressure. You get to figure out which tire. The full Smartire (was an official Spartan option) shows pressure/temp displayed tire by tire and you can add senders on your toad and see them on the same display.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:09 AM   #25

Here's the discussion on trays...
Old 11-03-2008, 10:37 AM   #26

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RVDude:
The "standard" tire system I last saw was a single light that comes on when one of the eight tires has improper pressure. You get to figure out which tire. The full Smartire (was an official Spartan option) shows pressure/temp displayed tire by tire and you can add senders on your toad and see them on the same display. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw some kind of tire monitoring system on an '08 Essex. It was a graphic of all 8 tires displayed on the nav screen and I think it showed the pressure of each tire. Whatever it was it was standard. Does this sound like Smartire?

2009 Essex 4508
Old 11-03-2008, 11:38 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheJazzMan:
I saw some kind of tire monitoring system on an '08 Essex. It was a graphic of all 8 tires displayed on the nav screen and I think it showed the pressure of each tire. Whatever it was it was standard. Does this sound like Smartire? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's the same as on the King Aire. It's the SmarTire system, integrated with the TripTek system, displayed on the video monitor. You can also add sensors to your toad tires, and it'll display both the coach and the toad side by side. There's also a separate warning light, which is actually redundant because of the warning symbols (and alarm) on the TripTek display.

joe
Old 11-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #28

Thanks fly.... I am set straight now...

Yes Smartire can integrate tire by tire with Triptek (which in 2007 was an option on the EX). So, make sure you get the TripTek AND that it is connected to the Smartire as that requires an additional TripTek module. Or, if you do not want TripTek then ask for the standard Smartire display be added in addition to the light. I'd also verify that it is the Smartire system (internal wheel senders) and not one of the couple others (typically valve stem add on sender).