Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2018, 03:51 PM   #1

Essex Windows

My wife and I were looking at a 2019 Essex and found out the windows in the living room don't open? Could some one explain what Newmar was thinking on this decision.
mgard64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2018, 05:17 PM   #2

We have owned 3 Newmar's in the last 20 plus years with 2 London Aire's and 1 Essex, with our current coach being a 18 LA. Talking with Newmar management/sales they said owners wanted big windows and were asking for better view outside and Newmar decided to make bigger windows which we think is a good thing. But the off side these larger windows don't open. We like the big windows but if it was a choice between big windows that don't open and smaller windows that do we pick the opening windows. Most the new coach's we have seen had the window covers pulled down so people won't have noticed the windows didn't open and not sure if this was intentional or just turned out that way. Have to see how future owners feel about this change. As much as we love Newmar not sure this is a good thing for Newmar.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:09 PM   #3

Essex Windows

Thank you for the answer I think well just look for a 2018 as I like to open the windows.
mgard64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgard64 View Post
My wife and I were looking at a 2019 Essex and found out the windows in the living room don't open? Could some one explain what Newmar was thinking on this decision.
Personally I love the huge, non-opening windows. I switched mine out and the difference in view is tremendous. We also don't tend to open those windows anyway given we are mostly operating in the hot desert southwest.
FYI - it took me about 3 hours per window to do the swap, so it isn't that big a deal if you wanted to put in the other style instead. They fit exactly the same.
Here is a photo of what mine looks like now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170609_122025.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	212423  
Old 07-26-2018, 06:25 AM   #5

I am in the process of ordering a Mountain Aire 4535 and had the same questions about windows, since I hope to mostly be in pleasant climates and like to open windows.

My dealer said that we can substitute the normal windows that open as a special. Also, the windows at the ends of the slides, and the window near the passenger seat haven’t changed for 2019, so those will still open regardless of what you decide to do about the big windows over the couches and dinette.

2013 Thor Palazzo 36.1
M Bakunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:26 AM   #6

I am not sure about the big kitchen window for 2019. Anybody know if it opens?

2013 Thor Palazzo 36.1
M Bakunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:40 PM   #7

Want the non-opening windows

We have a 2018 MADP with the windows that open and are seriously considering swapping them out for the non-opening ones. We hardly ever open the windows and after seeing how nice the "BIG VIEW" is we were swayed
Bobschle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:56 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Also if you do not open them often enough, the double pane window on opening portion will fog up, due to bad seal. No fun changing out Hehr bottom window portion. Very few times living in Louisiana we can open windows, everything would be damp...
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:57 AM   #9

The large non-opening windows are physical bigger so that means they will not fit the smaller opening windows cut out. Replacing the windows with non-opening doesn't make your view that much better unless you have replacement window cut out made larger so you can put larger windows in. Will Newmar have a option on the windows for those who want either opening or non-opening windows on MA, LA, Essex, and KA?
Newmar Man
Old 07-27-2018, 10:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
The large non-opening windows are physical bigger so that means they will not fit the smaller opening windows cut out. Replacing the windows with non-opening doesn't make your view that much better unless you have replacement window cut out made larger so you can put larger windows in. Will Newmar have a option on the windows for those who want either opening or non-opening windows on MA, LA, Essex, and KA?
Newmar Man
I don't believe that is correct. I had standard windows on my 16 King Aire, and once the non opening windows appeared in later model years I just ordereded two of them from parts. They fit my coach perfectly
Old 07-27-2018, 12:13 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncnavy2000 View Post
Personally I love the huge, non-opening windows. I switched mine out and the difference in view is tremendous. We also don't tend to open those windows anyway given we are mostly operating in the hot desert southwest.
FYI - it took me about 3 hours per window to do the swap, so it isn't that big a deal if you wanted to put in the other style instead. They fit exactly the same.
Here is a photo of what mine looks like now
Beautiful!
Old 07-27-2018, 06:38 PM   #12

On our 18 London Aire compared to the 19 LA the windows are a lot larger then the 18. Maybe on King Aire the windows are the same size.
Newmar Man
Old 07-27-2018, 08:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
On our 18 London Aire compared to the 19 LA the windows are a lot larger then the 18. Maybe on King Aire the windows are the same size.
Newmar Man
That could be, though if you haven't measured it you'd be surprised. My new windows appear much larger (looking at before and after you'd swear they are different sizes). However, they were the exact same frame size.

Tags
window