Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2017, 01:11 AM   #1

Evaluating Camp Sites for Leveling Jacks

My travel trailer had manual jacks so I am new to the auto leveling jack systems. My parents said be careful of unlevel campsites because they can cause the front windshield to pop out in extreme cases. I was also told that the tires should not be raised off of the ground. On a trip from IL to FL every time I used the jacks all 4 tires were still on the ground. Ironically last week at my home campgrounds I thought the site was fairly level but after the jacks set up the front tires were off the ground maybe 2 inches. While I was watching the front jacks I noticed the jacks were extended much more than normal.

Is there a way the system can tell you if the site isn't suitable before the jacks extend? Or how do you evaluate or assess a site to see if it is usable?

Is it true the windshields can pop out?
rowekmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2017, 03:38 AM   #2

Camp Freightliner class Mike Cody's position is you should not have any part of your suspension hanging in the air. All wheels should be on the ground, especially your rear wheels due to parking brake.

I have the fish eye level I put on floor up by me before I do my final stop in camp site to check my position. If it shows me being far out of level I will inch coach forward or back, or move to another spot.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:25 AM   #3

Get yourself a pair of Utility blocks. They are expensive at 80$ but twice have got us out a pickle on an extremely uneven site.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:46 AM   #4

As far as popping out your windshield, the kind of chassis twisting needed to do that would more likely come from entering and exiting gas stations and shopping centers or driving on un-level campground roads. The suspension can only move so much and chassis flexing is normal.

Unless you leveling system is lifting the corners in large increments the chassis twisting should be less then most normal driving.

As far as lifting your tires, carefully read YOUR leveling system operation manual.

A key word, in many, is not to go under the vehicle while the tires are lifted off the ground. You also don't need parking brakes when 4 jacks are bearing the full weight of the MH into the ground.

Ever see a 4 leg picnic table slide a campsite slope ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:31 AM   #5

The V ride rear suspension on the newer DS models has very little independent side to side suspension travel. I'd say it's a 50 50 chance to get in a campsite and have both rear wheels on the ground after leveling. One is, again usually, an inch or so off the ground. I usually do auto level then manually drop the rear slightly.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:10 AM   #6
Commercial Member

if you are in a very unlevel site, its best to use manual leveling. auto level works best when the campsite is close to level, usually within 4 to 6 inches. closer to 4 for air leveling.
it doesnt hurt to have front wheels off the ground, but rear wheels need ground or blocks under the tires to be safe.
blocks under the jacks help to stabilize the coach. overextending the cylinders can damage them.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:30 AM   #7

Thanks for all the responses!

Another question do the leveling jacks get their power from the house or chassis batteries?
rowekmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:53 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Chassis batteries
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:42 AM   #9

Get yourself a LevelMatePro. Moving your coach a foot or so in your pad/parking lot, etc can make the difference between wheels in the air and wheels on the ground. When the auto level system is done leveling, I bump the jacks until I have 0,0,0,0 on the display. Life has become a lot easier since purchasing this thing.
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:09 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
Get yourself a LevelMatePro. Moving your coach a foot or so in your pad/parking lot, etc can make the difference between wheels in the air and wheels on the ground. When the auto level system is done leveling, I bump the jacks until I have 0,0,0,0 on the display. Life has become a lot easier since purchasing this thing.
Agree, the level mate pro helps find the best level area in your camp spot before you you even put the jacks down.
Xman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Chassis batteries
FYI:
While this may be the case for the MH in question it is not standard across the board. The hydraulic pump for my levelers is wired directly to the house batteries.
Lynn
Old 10-29-2017, 08:58 AM   #12

Forget all of those fancy gadgets for figuring out if the site is level or not. Just hire my wife. She has a unique ability to walk the site and tell me if we need to use boards under the tires to level up the coach before hitting the Auto Level button.

You know, after 40 years of camping in everything from popups tent trailers to coaches, I've never moved from one site to another site because of it being too unlevel yet. We carry a selection of "leveling boards" and have camped in some unique sites! The worst was a KOA in Bar Harbor Maine.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
I agree! I can move around on the site to find the most level spor and then put the jacks down. Great product and easy to install and use!!!
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:56 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum.
This link through links in it will show how to level manually for your 2000 coach, do not think you had the AUTO option at that time.
All the links below in my signature have answers for your Newmar.
This link will give you all tsb's for your coach,brochure,owners guide and many other items for maintenance of your Newmar.
This link will help you get around irv2 and other useful info.
Enjoy the forum and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks