RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2009, 10:39 AM   #1

I have been noticing that I could not see Anti-Freeze in the site glass in the engine compartment most times when I check it. I have been adding way less than a quart when needed maybe once a month. Well today when I was checking my generator I noticed it was wet with anti freeze below the Evaporator Coil (on firewall behind dash) near the Evans Valve. It appears that the two radiator clamps securing the hoses to the Coil are tight, we did give them an extra little snug for good measure. However, it looks like maybe the Coil may be leaking at the hose fitting where it is welded/brazed. Can't actually see it there but when the vent is open from the bottom you can see where it is wet like the fluid has run down from the top of the coil. My question is does anyone have experience changing one of these and where do I go to find one? Also any idea of cost?

Robert

Robert M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #2
ET

Are you speaking about the heater core which has 2 hoses, one in and one out that come from the engine and circulate antifreeze?

Old 02-26-2009, 01:28 PM   #3

I think that would be the same. I guess I got the term Evaporator Coil from the Evans web-site.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I do not know if your hoses have the same setup as a gas coach but the chassis mfg runs two hoses off engine and the coach mfg runs two out of the heater. There are now 4 clamps to check at the splice nipples and if they are the spring type clamp its best to put in the stainless screw type at these four clamp locations.
Your splice point maybe on fire wall above the Gen if you have them.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
ET

Mine was leaking a year ago. The heater hose itself under the clamp needed to be cut off/shortened a bit and after reinstalling the clamp all was well.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:36 PM   #6

There are two hoses/lines going into the Coil that are metal connectors into what looks like a big hunk/glob of insulation. Behind that is the two hoses with the radiator type hose clamps. So, it appears there are four hoses going into the box (cover). Would it be best for me to take the plastic cover off and better see what I HAVE got?

Robert
Old 02-26-2009, 02:39 PM   #7

I'll see if I can get a picture to post of the area.

Robert
Old 02-26-2009, 02:57 PM   #8

OK, I took pics and they show the area pretty good. Somebody tell me how to post them!!

Robert
Old 02-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Give this LINK a read.
Go to Photo's top of forum and signin with a member name same one you have if you want.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:22 AM   #10

Photos are under "Sheepdog1974". Take and look and give me your analysis.

Robert
Old 02-27-2009, 01:57 AM   #11
ET

The lower hoses are the ones that I believe you need to look at. More then likely one of the two split and is leaking anti-freeze. You can see the anti-freeze in the sponge insulation to the right of the hoses, (just like what mine looked like. I removed both hoses from the heater core, (which is on the other side of the soaked sponge) by unscrewing the clamps, cut off just enough hose so as to have a fresh piece under the clamp and onto the heater core and retightened the clamps. Soak up as much as you can from the sponge insulation on the side and if like mine on the bottom as well. If this doesn't work then possibly the actual heater core is leaking and will need to be replaced. For a quick fix you can always bypass the heater core by connecting the two hoses together but you will no longer have heat from your dash controls while driving.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:51 AM   #12

What a great response. I did notice the spounge being soaked yesterday. We are headed out on a trip this weekend and I'll keep and eye on it. Again, Thanks.

Robert