Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Exchange mechanical slide locks with electric locks

My 04 Kountry Star 3740 has mechanical slide arm locks. With the bedroom slide in on this model you must crawl over the bed to get to the aft to lock the slide, or to access the bathroom. As we get older, this crawling exercise becomes more and more of a challenge. I am also considering a mattress upgrade, but the need to crawl over the mattress creates a challenge. So the other day reading this blog I was struck by the thought of changing the locking system. Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions would be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2011, 06:41 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
WELCOME DGBPokes to the forum.
I have the same 3740 as you and I maybe older than you. The bedroom slide I only operate the forward lock while traveling.
The weight of the bed on floor will hold to the floor without the lock but just so if you have a quick redirection of motor home which can happen the one lock will make sure it does not move.
When storing for winter I do than lock both locks to keep the slide flush in the recess wall and keep weather out.
The cost of lock system would not be worth the money and remake of cabinets.
I would spend the money on that new soft matress it will sure make it easier on your back.
Enjoy the forums.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi DGBPokes,
I looked into changing to the auto locks. Newmar said no way. They would not do this change. If they will not touch this, for me, it closed the matter.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:24 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't bother with any of the locks except the one right behind my head as it rattles if not locked. Been doing this since 2000 on two different DSDP's with no problem.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #5

We only have one slide and I took the locks off. All they did was rattle. Slide never moves.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:12 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
The primary purpose of the locks is not to keep the slides from moving. When the ignition is on, there is no power to the slide motor. The primary purpose is to form a bond with the side wall of the coach. When the locks are engaged, the slide becomes part of the entire wall of the coach. I use all my locks when the coach is in travel mode.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #7

The manual locks on mine were so loose that they not only rattled constantly but wouldn't stay in the locked position. The previous owner had bungee cords on them to hold them up. There was no way to adjust them (the way they were made and installed) so I chose to take them out. I've thought about buying some generic ones (I think camping world carries them) but I always fear someone will hit the button to put the slideout out without removing them first.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have to agree with Gary's post and how with them locked the weight of slides and fixed to side walls reinforces them and the walls.
The slides unlocked are free to move with a sudden force that could be caused by someone cutting you off and just slightly tapping say your right front bumper doing about 55 MPH.
It happen to me in a Bounder with a Ford chassis, that slight bump cause out of controlled steering and all my effort to get control of the coach in heavy truck traffic with us all traveling between jersey barriers and a attached pop-up doing weird gyrations behind the coach.
The coach didn't have a slide but that slight tap of the bumper sure woke everyone up to the situation.
Oh ya that car during all this time was spinning around in my side view mirror and came back at us and hit dead center the passenger front tire, my wife had fits seeing the car coming into her side.
After checking coach & tire and fillin out accident forms we went on our way until I had tire and axel checked at Ford dealer.
The back and forth of coach and trying to get under control moved everything in coach all around and I alway wondered what if there was a large living slide setting behind me with the kids in the seats.
So just in case I always lock the slides because if it ever were to happened again I did not want to be the test case to see what might happen with out the locks in place.
If the lock rattles there is a ball bearing in the metal crimp that the metal crimp may have to be close slightly, use a brick and hammer a couple of times, for a tighter grip of bars.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:47 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi deanjeep,
Have you called Newmar to see how much replacement locks would cost?

The threat of a slide trying to open with the lock still locked is real. Based on where the slide switch is located you'll need to evaluate this possibility and do what you feel is best. For me, the rule is nobody operates the slides but me. I have a procedure to ensure the locks are in the correct position for slide operation.