RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2006, 11:40 AM   #1

For those that have or are purchasing an Essex or Mountain Aire with the full porcelin floor, this may be of interest.
I spoke with an owner today of a '06 Essex with the full porcelin floor option. He claimed after six months the left main slide causes wear marks on the tile from the support rollers when the slide is in and the coach is driving. These marks must be caused by the movement of the coach and the rollers moving ever so slightly. It is only the driver side that this happens on. He bought a common plastic runner which he puts on the floor prior to retracting the slide and claims it works to eliminate the scratching.
Keep in mind, I only heard this today and do not know if it is common on some or all, but it seems to make sense.
Anybody out there that can support or appose this issue?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2006, 11:40 AM   #2

For those that have or are purchasing an Essex or Mountain Aire with the full porcelin floor, this may be of interest.
I spoke with an owner today of a '06 Essex with the full porcelin floor option. He claimed after six months the left main slide causes wear marks on the tile from the support rollers when the slide is in and the coach is driving. These marks must be caused by the movement of the coach and the rollers moving ever so slightly. It is only the driver side that this happens on. He bought a common plastic runner which he puts on the floor prior to retracting the slide and claims it works to eliminate the scratching.
Keep in mind, I only heard this today and do not know if it is common on some or all, but it seems to make sense.
Anybody out there that can support or appose this issue?

Old 07-18-2006, 11:57 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Peter, it sounds like something we should run by Newmar....

Maybe it's something I can run by the rep.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:11 PM   #4

Great Bob. I'ld be interested in their take. I mentioned to the gentleman that I would think if it were a problem in the '06 perhaps it has been corrected.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:31 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the post Peter I only own one of those KS's but have noticed dirt lines on floor tile with slide retracted can easily clean but could get same wear from rollers as those high end coachs will keep an eye for wear and try your surgestion.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 05:14 PM   #6

Has this been a problem in the past with linoleum or tile floors? We are in the process of deleted carpeting on a new coach(ATME) and having "simulated marble"(vinyl) throughout the coach.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:13 AM   #7

On a vinyl floor covering it may not be apparent due to the somewhat flexible surface as apposed to the hard shiny surface of polished porcelian. However I doubt there are many full tiled living area motorhomes to get a reading on as to how well they worked.
I know on my current coach, which has carpet where the slide on the left comes in, leaves two large roller intents. One could imagine that these rollers would move slightly as the coach rides down the road which in time may mark nearly any type of surface.

But, this is the first time I've ever heard of this as being an issue, however the vast majority of motorhomes are carpeted in this area.

The only correction I could imagine at the manufacturer's end would be to employ rubber contact Sheppard like casters to allow them to roll rather than scrub the surface.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:21 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't think it will post a problem just something to bear watching for wear. When I had a wood floor would sweep floor before closing to remove any dirt from getting trapped under rollers.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote