Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2006, 04:52 PM   #1
Administrator Emeritus

OK gang....logistics question here as I can't remember...

I'm relatively certain those of you that have TWO rear cams also have TWO rear monitors...right?

Here's why I'm asking and I'm in the middle of working this out with Tim @ rvcams.com and Jeremy @ Howard RV...

My Stacker trailer already has a Voyager camera pre-wired all the way to the tongue.
Now I need to bring that wire up to the dash and when I talked to the local Wilmington A/V store guy today, he was in a pickle as to just how we're going to get it all to work.

I know Tim @ rvcams will surely have some whizbang solution,but I'm turning to my forum mates for some opinions....
If it turns out that the "controller" box in fact already has another RCA slot my problems may already be solved....Jeremy's going to look at another Essex in the morning and find that out....I may end up using a "two to one" adapter for the rear cams with some sort of a switch box mounted to select the trailer cam or the coach cam.

The last consideration is how NOT to screw up the turn signal cams...

FIRE AWAY MATES!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2006, 04:52 PM   #2
Administrator Emeritus

OK gang....logistics question here as I can't remember...

I'm relatively certain those of you that have TWO rear cams also have TWO rear monitors...right?

Here's why I'm asking and I'm in the middle of working this out with Tim @ rvcams.com and Jeremy @ Howard RV...

My Stacker trailer already has a Voyager camera pre-wired all the way to the tongue.
Now I need to bring that wire up to the dash and when I talked to the local Wilmington A/V store guy today, he was in a pickle as to just how we're going to get it all to work.

I know Tim @ rvcams will surely have some whizbang solution,but I'm turning to my forum mates for some opinions....
If it turns out that the "controller" box in fact already has another RCA slot my problems may already be solved....Jeremy's going to look at another Essex in the morning and find that out....I may end up using a "two to one" adapter for the rear cams with some sort of a switch box mounted to select the trailer cam or the coach cam.

The last consideration is how NOT to screw up the turn signal cams...

FIRE AWAY MATES!!
Old 11-27-2006, 05:07 PM   #3
cwg

Before anyone gives you and credible and serious answer, I can promise that I can provide nothing constructive... I am still trying to figure out how to have a full screen monitor without the mapping function obscuring part of the screen.

During a test drive, the salesperson was able to have it display a full camera screen, but he cannot replicate it by memory, nor have I found anyone who has that ability. Is it possible or was I mesmerized by all of the slight of hand going on? Bob, sorry for the hijack.. now back to the electronic experts.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:10 PM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Chuck, the short version is that yes, it is possible with some fiddling to get it to full screen,but it's a real PIT to go here,no there,then here, no it was there, then....OH YEAH...it was in that other part of the buttons.

The LONG answer is that I MOVED my cameras out of the nav screen where you crane your neck and turn your head.
I moved them over to in line with the left pillar and ALL the Pioneer is for now is NAV/RADIO.

Here's where I see the cameras now....my buddy Jeff liked it so much he moved his '06 4304 MADP's as well!!

Old 11-28-2006, 03:06 AM   #5

Bob, Not to hijack but did you extend your front window shades? On our rear monitor we had an extra spot to add a camera in the garage.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:18 AM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

Dave, what you are seeing is the power privacy "curtains" that are offered now...
I still have the shades and visors that come down electrically,but I no longer have to deal with that pesky slide around curtain, instead I just hit three buttons in my overhead.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:44 AM   #7

Bob, We also have the power visors but do not have, what appears in your picture to be, entensions to come to the bottom of the dash?
Old 11-28-2006, 03:55 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Bob, if it's an either/or thing you're looking for then a trip to Allied Electronics or Radio Shack is in order.

You can take the two cameras and connect them to a 4PDT relay. Connect the RV cam to the Normally Closed contacts and the trailer cam to the Normally Open contacts. Then continue from the Common contacts to your monitor. Install a rocker switch on your dash to send 12 volts to the relay coil. Whenever you turn on the switch, the monitor will switch to the trailer cam.

This is assuming that you want to keep your side cams autosequencing with the turn signals. If not, you just add a DPDT relay to break the turn signal feeds to your monitor or sequencer box. Then connect it's coil to the same rocker switch. Whenever you go to the trailer cam position you'll disconnect the turn signal feeds to the monitor and it won't switch over. I installed this last half on my Bus because ther's times I don't want the side cams coming on. In these situations I just flip the "Side Camera Defeat" switch and I can leave my blinkers on while still retaining the use of the rear camera.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:25 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

Thanks Mark!!
Old 11-28-2006, 04:37 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dav5942:
Bob, We also have the power visors but do not have, what appears in your picture to be, entensions to come to the bottom of the dash? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave, what I have are two different things for the front windows...
I have the "visors" that block sun while driving and I have the privacy curtains that covers the entire front and both side windows...

I believe they're called visors in the front and shades on the sides, but that's totally separate from the three privacy curtains.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:23 AM   #11

Bob, thanks, trying to figure out how to extend the remote visors to eliminate the shades.