Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2018, 09:50 PM   #1

Experience with going back to Newmar for repairs?

My wife and I have a 2016 Bay Star Sport that we purchased new in August of last year. Itís been to the dealer about 3 times so far for various issues and now some of the baggage doors are starting to delaminate. Iím thinking that since itís body work I want to bring it back to the factory for the repairs instead of rolling the dice with the dealer. Has anyone brought theirs back? How was your experience?

We only have about 4000 miles on the coach so far and while we enjoy it very much weíre not super impressed with the amount of down time itís had in less than a year.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2018, 10:57 PM   #2

I am not familiar with your problem although we have taken our coach to Nappanee for warranty work in the past year. First, the scheduling process was very good and I would recommend you call and schedule for your issue and what ever else you would like to have the technicians evaluate. Secondly, I am not sure where you are from and how long the repair will take but if you prefer to stay in Nappanee or stay in your coach while the work is ongoing during non work times that could be arranged for you. Lastly, call customer service and discuss with them your issue or issues and I am sure they can accommodate. I hope this helps and I am sorry you have had issues...Safe Travels my friend, David

NEWMARDS3724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:31 AM   #3

We've had body work done @ Nappanee Newmar ('16 38' Ventana). The body shop did a fantastic job but it took 5-months to get an appointment. We remained in our unit while the work was preformed except for one night @ The Inn at Amish Acres while the paint cured. Nappanee Newmar came in under the price they quoted for the repair. Try and schedule your work @ Nappanee ASAP so you can get in during the warm months.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:55 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We've taken our's back for both warranty work and retail service work and by far, Nappanee being the source of its manufacturing, is the absolute best option you could pursue for the repairs and particularly for the paint work. As you're already aware, specific appointments are required but that too is a simple process of contacting them and scheduling. They also offer reduced labor rates in the winter but I'm uncertain to when that ends. In any case, if you have the time and ability to take it back to them it's worth it knowing everything will be corrected properly.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massparanoia View Post
My wife and I have a 2016 Bay Star Sport that we purchased new in August of last year. Itís been to the dealer about 3 times so far for various issues and now some of the baggage doors are starting to delaminate. Iím thinking that since itís body work I want to bring it back to the factory for the repairs instead of rolling the dice with the dealer. Has anyone brought theirs back? How was your experience?

We only have about 4000 miles on the coach so far and while we enjoy it very much weíre not super impressed with the amount of down time itís had in less than a year.
Don't waste your time with the dealers while there are some very good ones. We have a local dealer that is supposed to be very good with service but all the warranty work involved paint or something else that needed to be done by the factory. Most won't fix your coach right especially when paint is involved. We have been to Nappanee several times with our coach and the work is first class, fixed like new. When you go through a dealer it takes forever. Do yourself a favor, make an appointment at the factory and get it done right.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:45 AM   #6

I am in Nappanee right now getting stuff done including body work.

The customer service and work done here is first class.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #7

Can you post pics of the baggage door issue you're having? Curious, as I have a Bay Star Sport. The door seams aren't caulked and always have water dripping out of them when they're opened.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:08 PM   #8

Not sure what you mean that baggage doors are "delaminating". Agree with the other comments, if you can make the trip to Nappanee, get an appointment at the factory and it will be fixed, right.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtibb View Post
Can you post pics of the baggage door issue you're having? Curious, as I have a Bay Star Sport. The door seams aren't caulked and always have water dripping out of them when they're opened.
I attached some pics. You can see the raised ďbubbledĒ areas on the doors. When you press on them you can feel the fiberglass has raised off of the under layer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	89A19FA1-BD2B-420D-873E-EEEE2FC200B2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	317.9 KB
ID:	189535   Click image for larger version

Name:	EE3BCB59-75E8-4B4B-959D-DBAE103DB29D.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	382.1 KB
ID:	189536  

Name:	2F685ABA-444F-41E1-A3B3-0B69080D2139.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	454.0 KB
ID:	189537   Click image for larger version

Name:	A00D7CEB-B709-4A54-9C9A-EE5AB481FB5A.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	278.3 KB
ID:	189538  

Old 01-21-2018, 05:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakHillFarm View Post
Not sure what you mean that baggage doors are "delaminating". Agree with the other comments, if you can make the trip to Nappanee, get an appointment at the factory and it will be fixed, right.
Delaminating like fiberglass delaminating from whatever itís laminated with.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:06 PM   #11

Wow, that's pretty bad. Did it happen recently? I was worried about water sitting in there and freezing so I drilled drain holes in the bottom behind the curved lip. I guess I'll have to caulk those seams and latch before something like this happens to mine. I wonder if they could just ship you new doors and have a mobile tech install them.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakHillFarm View Post
The baggage doors are fiberglass glued to a plywood backing. They also have seams which are not sealed. Here's some pics of mine. This is the area where the latch goes. I removed it to take the pictures. Also, pic of how baggage door frame is not sealed.

Name:	20180122_130651.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	189608

Name:	20180122_130609.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	189609

Name:	1516645167961.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	189610
Old 01-22-2018, 01:47 PM   #13

Definitely take it back to the factory for repair. You'll get it done in quality manner & quicker than at a dealer. Newmar should do this at N/C under warranty.

Happy Trails

Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, bay star sport, newmar, repair, repairs