Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2014, 05:15 PM   #1

Experience with the Whirlpool residential frig

Just wondering how long the Whirlpool frig has been used in new coaches and if anyone has a very long experience with the reliability of this frig or how trouble free it might be. I was just informed that my home Whirlpool washing maching is going to need approx $620 worth of parts not including labor to get it back to working condition. This $460 machine is only 3 1/2 years old so am hoping the frig is of better quality.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2014, 07:12 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would Google the model number for complaints as far as residential goes, its going to have to live in a RV so its going to have some ruff trips.
Haven't heard of other res- fridges, and there have been many different models, not being warrantied as yet because of RV use.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:28 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Had 98 model Whirpool frig in our last home. Had to replace the ice maker, $175.00 including labor. The board went out just before we sold the home $ 250.00 including labor. I expect it will keep on ticking for many many years to come.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:34 PM   #4

Personally, I don't think much of any of the Whirlpool products in our coach. The refer doesn't have much ice storage, it won't crush ice and it won't stop dispensing ice without some spilling on the floor. The washer and dryer are very basic in their controls and are very loud when operating. OTOH, the GE microwave isn't any better. It just broke for the second time in about 3 months.

Like so many components in our coaches, these items appear to be typical of the substandard stuff supplied to the mfrs. these days. Something we all have to learn to live with unless we put our feet down and stop buying such garbage. But this ain't going to happen and it's not unique to Newmar.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:04 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
What other options are there? Can you order a model without these and get better products installed later? My wife loves crushed ice as well as our Yorkie. I know I could get the washer/dryer prep work without them. But can you do that for the refrigerator?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:51 AM   #6

We only have a year under our belt with our Whirlpool fridge, but it's worked flawlessly so far. This of course was an aftermarket install. I have a question for owners with new motorhomes with a factory install....did the Whirlpool come with a Whirlpool warranty? Or is it covered under the motorhomes warranty? Because Whirlpool wouldn't warranty ours because of it being in our coach.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:20 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good question? We have a GE frig and the ice maker died. Fleetwood had a tech sent to replace the unit. That's over two years ago. To Slabmans post, I somewhat agree with your point on quality appliances supplied by manufacturers being sub par. Especially in an Essex one would expect top shelf appliances. However, in this day and age just what is considered top shelf? Another point to the OP, our washer and dryer are Whirlpool, three years now with a lot of use almost daily and they have performed flawlessly. Fingers crossed!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:30 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
We only have a year under our belt with our Whirlpool fridge, but it's worked flawlessly so far. This of course was an aftermarket install. I have a question for owners with new motorhomes with a factory install....did the Whirlpool come with a Whirlpool warranty? Or is it covered under the motorhomes warranty? Because Whirlpool wouldn't warranty ours because of it being in our coach.
We purchased a 2105 Berkshire that has one from the factory and there were warranty forms for it I registered via the internet. Got the usual welcome email back from them acknowledging the received it.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
Our Palazzo came with Whirlpool appliances. The Dryer had a problem which Whirlpool sent a technician to repair within several days of reporting. So, our warranty was handled all through Whirlpool.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:58 AM   #10

The appliance mfr. handles the warranty. Newmar CS guys have been excellent in working through this process, so kudos to them. Just wish we consumers had more choice insofar as quality of appliances we buy, either in a home or an RV application.

But I know price is the primary buying reason and mfrs. are delivering on that trend. If it's going to be cheap....something has to be compromised. I'm thankful Newmar hasn't completely followed this thinking and still do their best to put out a quality product.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
What other options are there? Can you order a model without these and get better products installed later? My wife loves crushed ice as well as our Yorkie. I know I could get the washer/dryer prep work without them. But can you do that for the refrigerator?
I agree with Slabman about the whirpool brand. After a washer that lasted 5 years and a refrig that lasted 7 years I said never buy Whirpool again....so here I am with a DSDP on order with Whirpool washer dryer,refrig,and microwave...go figure.
lrose44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:04 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
We moved into our newly built house in December 1999 and just replaced these original kitchen appliances a couple of years ago. The 1999 appliances were all Whirlpool and we had great service from them with relatively few problems so we replaced all of them with Whirlpool Gold appliances in 2012. The difference in quality is significant. The 2012 appliances are all made much more cheaply than the 1999 appliances. The dishwasher is much louder than the old one. We have had service calls on the refrigerator more than once already. Our motorhome refrigerator so far has not had any issues other than having the door lock reworked a couple of times by Newmar. Hate to say it but I regret buying Whirlpool for my home kitchen and will not buy the brand again.
millerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:39 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
So far everything has worked perfectly. We did have the clothes washer repaired under warranty as it wouldn't operate correctly when on generator. There's a new circuit board available that resolves this problem. We do have the GE microwave which we really love.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:29 PM   #14

Okay what appliances are significantly better and why and how do you know? Does Newmar keep track of these vendors performance?

What size is the Maytag in DS and Whirlpool in the upper lines? Why the difference in DS and above models?