Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2019, 01:17 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Red face Exploding Ceiling lights

Hello everyone.

Yesterday we were winterizing our recently purchased 2009 Essex and we suddenly heard a small "explosion" and lo and behold one of the ceiling light lenses had exploded and showered glass shards all over the dinette and floor.

I checked the incandescent bulb and it is the typical 10W as called for.

I have two questions:

1. Has anyone else experienced this (how often should we expect these little explosions)

2. Can I replace all of the ceiling lights with LEDs (I went to that thread and understand the qualifiers that go with that statement but I'm thinking lower heat will prevent this) and will they work on both low and high switch positions. The reason for this question is I've tried LEDs in one of these ceiling lights before and they were fine except they don't operate on the lower light setting, only full bright. We like the low-light settings and would prefer not to lose that capability.

Thank you all

Wayne and Jeanine
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2019, 08:05 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
My 08 madp has all led lights. The only issue I have is they are not dimmable for those that are supposed to be. The coach came this way when I bought it almost 2 years ago. The plus side is they don't heat up and add inside heat during the a/c season.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:06 AM   #3
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our shower door in the RV exploded while we were sleeping. That can happen with tempered glass. The metal ring on the bottom was not bent properly and the screw was bending the glass. After two years it failed. I do not know if the ceiling lenses are tempered.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:36 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the feedback. Doesn't sound like anyone has had this problem so probably a "one-off".

I did talk with Parts and then Customer Service at Newmar. If I replace the bulbs with LEDs they won't dim. My light switches for the ceiling are two-position switches, on High I would have light, on Low no light. This is due to the switches on the wall. I will be replacing them with blue tooth switches so we can control our shades and lights from our phones instead of wall switches.

Anyone have any suggestions on what brand/experience in doing this/lessons learned etc.?
Old 11-13-2019, 08:28 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quick Update

I found this YouTube video to be very helpful (one in a series evidently).

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6D2D&FORM=VIRE

And the video refers us to this website which appears to be the "Mecca" for all things LED conversion.

M4 LED Products
Old 11-14-2019, 04:47 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Wayne,
If you have the situation solved great, if not let me know and I'll post a photo of the LEDs I purchased, which are dimmable. Mine have been running 5 years without an issue!!
Old 11-15-2019, 04:41 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ken,

Pictures not necessary but part number and supplier would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have my final solution yet but Steve at M4Products.com has been extremely helpful. When I inquired with my situation Steve replied:

"Our latest G4-6-5630 will provide low light at 6 volts, so it is compatible with two position switches where one position feeds off half the house batteries (6 volts), and the other position feeds off all of them (12 volts)."

I've ordered one each of the different "colors" (variations on white I think) and will post my "test results" after I receive them.

These are bulbs. Are yours fixtures or bulbs?

Thank you,

Wayne
Old 11-16-2019, 12:03 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Wayne, thought I was dead in the water BUT, searching old links worked! http://www.rvledbulbs.com is the source of the LEDS. Here is the link to the LED that I used: http://www.rvledbulbs.com/product-p/hp-g409w-10.htm

Hope this helps!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E77E830D-6A65-4D8C-B93D-E3B07BD3E9B1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	323.4 KB
ID:	267041   Click image for larger version

Name:	DE6E6D68-4522-490C-A898-73753E1F00F9.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	267042  

Old 11-25-2019, 08:32 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you

Ken,

Most excellent, thank you. Turns out the bulbs from M4Products don't work in my 2008 Essex, bright only, no low lights.

Your source and bulb look very promising given the amount of circuitry on the back of the LEDs.

Hope you and yours have Happy Thanksgiving

Wayne
Old 11-25-2019, 05:40 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I had a light explode in the kitchen yesterday. It was one of the few I hadn’t replaced with LED. The light was on for a long time and was very hot.
I bought some bulbs from Amazon and they do work on 6 volt or 12. A couple of them have failed already though so buyer be ware.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D58B14D2-759C-4AB9-99B0-A6B63F581645.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	267920  
Nomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:04 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.E.D. View Post
Ken,

Most excellent, thank you. Turns out the bulbs from M4Products don't work in my 2008 Essex, bright only, no low lights.

Your source and bulb look very promising given the amount of circuitry on the back of the LEDs.

Hope you and yours have Happy Thanksgiving

Wayne
Wayne,
The bulbs I indicated have been running since 2013 without a failure and they DO dim. Ditto on Thanksgiving Sir!!
Old 12-10-2019, 01:54 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
No Joy

Greetings again friends,

Well, I've purchased every bulb mentioned in the thread above (except for the ones from M4Products, they no longer sell them but they referred me to another source and I bought "their version").

All were supposed to be dimmable or work at 6V or 12V. All of them only work on the "High" setting of my two-position switches.

Am I missing something simple?

Regards,

Wayne
Old 12-10-2019, 05:56 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.E.D. View Post
Greetings again friends,

Well, I've purchased every bulb mentioned in the thread above (except for the ones from M4Products, they no longer sell them but they referred me to another source and I bought "their version").

All were supposed to be dimmable or work at 6V or 12V. All of them only work on the "High" setting of my two-position switches.

Am I missing something simple?

Regards,

Wayne
Wayne,
Did you purchase LEDs from the link I provided and they won’t dim???
Old 12-14-2019, 07:28 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
rvledbulbs

I tried but that supplier has stopped selling RV leds. I purchased from the supplier they recommended. Wasn’t the same bulb and they didn’t work. Still searching for the exact bulb in your post but so far no joy

Wayne
R.E.D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, light, lights