RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2019, 07:06 PM   #1

Extended warranty?

I have a new DutchStar - question - should I buy the the Easy Care extended warranty?

Mindy Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2019, 07:16 PM   #2

First off

WELCOME!!

Secondly.....
Only the MFG can provide a 'warranty'
Easy Care is a Service Contract
2 biggest questions
1) How much is dealer charging for it??
2) What is NOT covered......exclusions clause

Typically the Service Contracts are RARELY worth the monies spent to purchase
Otherwise.......HOW do those companies stay in business
(Hint: by NOT paying out on claims)

Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:11 AM   #3

Your factory warranty will cover you for the first year. If during that first year, you have sufficient problems, then you might want to buy an extended service contract.
I had never purchased one for anything in the past...but after buying my Dutch Star and it being in the shop for more than 6 months during the first year, I decided to get one. Mine is from Coachnet and literally covers everything. It was under $4k for 7 additional years. So far, I've had 2 new roof AC's, a new washing machine,new in dash GPS, 2 slide out motors and many,many other repairs like rewelding the slide out brackets,etc. . My out of pocket deductible is $100 per visit. I generally take it in when I have 3-4 or more items to be addressed, that way I pay only $100 for multiple repairs. In my situation, It has more than paid for itself and gives me piece of mind knowing that whatever happens, the most I'll be out is $100. I still have 3 years left on it. Whether it makes sense for you is really a decision you need to make.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:16 AM   #4

There are probably several things to consider when deciding this. Some good points have already been made.

Another thing to consider is that sometimes Newmar will cover things after the 1 year initial warranty.

I would also weigh how you will be using your new coach. Will you only be using it for a few weekends a year and maybe one extended trip, or are you planning on traveling full time towing 10,000 pounds?

A/C units can cost thousands to replace. Oasis pumps could easily fail and they will run about $1,000 to $1,500 each for total replacement. That big residential frig goes bad and you will spend some really big cash replacing it.

Lastly, most dealers mark up these plans 100% or more. You should be able to get a "coach only" extended service/warranty plan to run 3 to 5 years for somewhere in the $1,200 to $2,000 range max.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:36 AM   #5
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not sure if you have the Spartan or Freightliner. I purchased the extended chassis (5 year) and axle warranty (7 year) from Freightliner. It is transferrable and cost around $1600.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:11 AM   #6

I looked at three or so service contracts (Extended Warranties, as they are marketed). In my opinion, everything that might reasonably go wrong with a normally functioning, healthy RV is excluded. The only things that are actually covered are unexpected major things. In my, um, many years owning and operating an RV, I haven't had anything go wrong that would have been covered by one of those. Also, if you do get one, pay very special attention to how you get repairs done. Some require you call first and get authorization, some make you take your RV to specific shops, and so on. Read the paperwork very carefully and follow it exactly, or you'll find your claim is not covered. Best Wishes!
ericllucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
You should be able to get a "coach only" extended service/warranty plan to run 3 to 5 years for somewhere in the $1,200 to $2,000 range max.
Who do you recommend for this price point?
Old 03-26-2019, 07:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Who do you recommend for this price point?
Ours is through Cornerstone and I misspoke. It was $3,000 and that was for 5 years, $100 deductible. I was getting right at $1,000 back from the extended service plan on our previous coach (same company) so I had the $2,000 figure in my head.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:14 AM   #9

Many posters caution about reading what these extended service (warranty) plans cover and don't cover. That is really good advise.

The Cornerstone "coach only" plan we have also extends to our wheels/tires. If we hit something or pick up something that causes a tire to go flat they will pay.

These plans are really just insurance policies.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:22 AM   #10

Do you think your coach only policy has been worth it so far? Thanks
Old 03-26-2019, 08:09 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy Logan View Post
I have a new DutchStar - question - should I buy the the Easy Care extended warranty?
Extended Warranty or service agreements are a hot button with many owners and only you can make the final decision. When one says not all warranty agreements are created equal that may be an understatement.

1. Understand the terms before you buy exclusionary or non-exclusionary
2. What is max payout for the term
3. What is the milage limitation
4. Is it a guaranteed renewal (some companies refuse to reissue if they paid
out more that 70 or 80 percent of the initial cost.
5. What is the deductible
6 Where must you go for service.
7. Are mobile services included.
8. Is it transferable or can you terminate and how it is prorated.

This only a partial list of items you should look at. My feeling is that if you can afford to self insure and not be hurt should you have a sizable cost or an expensive breakdown there is no need to buy a policy. Only you can determine what risk you can tolerate.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Do you think your coach only policy has been worth it so far? Thanks
Yes and no. We had to have a summer loop pump replaced after our 12 month original warranty expired. It would have been over $1,000. If we would have used our extended coach only warranty/service contract then we would have been only out $2,000 for another 3+ years.

However, as it turned out Newmar stepped up and covered the pump and labor 100% even though it was past the factory warranty period.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by plane View Post
Extended Warranty or service agreements are a hot button with many owners and only you can make the final decision. When one says not all warranty agreements are created equal that may be an understatement.

1. Understand the terms before you buy exclusionary or non-exclusionary
2. What is max payout for the term
3. What is the milage limitation
4. Is it a guaranteed renewal (some companies refuse to reissue if they paid
out more that 70 or 80 percent of the initial cost.
5. What is the deductible
6 Where must you go for service.
7. Are mobile services included.
8. Is it transferable or can you terminate and how it is prorated.

This only a partial list of items you should look at. My feeling is that if you can afford to self insure and not be hurt should you have a sizable cost or an expensive breakdown there is no need to buy a policy. Only you can determine what risk you can tolerate.
I totally agree you need to understand what contract/policy you are getting. I would never buy one that had a maximum payout or a mileage limit. The one we have is prorated so if you would sell or trade your coach off you will get a lump sum back depending on how long you had it and what your claims were.

For some of us it isn't a matter of if we can afford to replace an a/c unit, a washing machine, a damaged rim/tire, and maybe a frig in 5 years, spending around $7,000 to $8,000. Just like with any insurance, do you risk not being covered and maybe exposing yourself to a higher exposure of repair costs or do you part with a few thousand and limit that exposure?

If we were not full timers I may not have purchased the extended plan.

There is really no right or wrong answer.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:13 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
I totally agree you need to understand what contract/policy you are getting. I would never buy one that had a maximum payout or a mileage limit.
Maybe Im not understanding this "milage limit" thing being referenced by some people here.

On my recent purchase of my 2019 coach, I purchased 6 year / 60,000 mile extended service contract from the dealer. Are you stating, you and others don't like the limit of 60,000 miles part? Are you looking at warranty's with only years and unlimited milage?

We are in our mid 40's so not retired, and have 2 teen kids that go with us. We travel 8 weeks every summer and average 6-8k miles over the 8 weeks depending on what states we choose to visit that year. During the rest of the year (my wife's a teacher) we only get away for about four short trips to California, around 700 miles round trip. I already know this is my planned schedule for the next 6 years, so I should be near that milage around the six year mark. Six years from now I plan to sell and look for our next coach more geared for the two of us.

I have bought extended contracts on last three coaches and love the mental security and will continue to purchase on future units. The $4400 turbo failure on the Cummins two coaches ago secured me as a buyer for life, $100 and they covered the rest.