Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2018, 04:34 PM   #1

extended warranty for a 2013 DSDP 4347?

buying this unit through Steinbring and they are offering an extended warranty. We have a budget that sets aside $600 a month for repairs with accessible savings for emergencies. I've always stayed away from warranties (except for the DW's phone...) but wanted to throw this out. Steinbring is not pushing the warranty, just something that is available. thanks in advance for feedback.

"warranty excludes items like wear and tear (batteries, tires, fuses), general maintenance (like oil changes or tire rotations), and anything cosmetic (such as the shell of the coach, flooring, cabinetry, or furniture). They do pick up coverage of mechanical items on the coach: engine, transmission, drive axle, steering, suspension, frame, generator, heating and cooling systems, water and waste systems, slide outs, leveling systems, appliances, audio and video technology, coach electronics, chassis electronics. They also cover your towing and roadside assistance in the event of a breakdown. Total cost is $13,035 for a 5 year unlimited mile policy with a $500 deductible."
mrome54369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2018, 04:37 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your $600 a month budget will go a long way. I wouldn't buy a service policy but I would get emergency towing. I have CoachNet.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:39 PM   #3

The service contract company would probably make a lot of money on that deal...
Old 06-12-2018, 06:43 PM   #4

That's pricey-- I got a 7 year contract for under $4k with a $100 deductible that has more than paid for itself. But I bought it just before the Newmar warranty expired.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:48 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I've never been a fan of extended warranties. I put aside money every month to cover repairs. I am way ahead of the game so far. If nothing breaks then I have some "mad money."
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:01 PM   #6

We just purchased(used) a 2017 Mountain Aire last month. We bought a plan from Wholesale Warranties. We had a plan with them on our 2011 Ventana and it worked great for us. I would give them a call and at least let them give you a quote. I worked with a gentleman named Buddy Hooker (858) 737-6140 and he was great. Best of luck with your new coach.
oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:01 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Get a quote from wholesale warranties and compare the cost.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:04 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I know there are many nay sayers and I know many folks that were glad they had one.

We put a 4 year ESW on our 2006 DSDP 4320 that we bought January 2013. It cost about $5K. Yes, prices have gone up but so have service costs.

Buy the end of the ESW it paid out over twice as much as the cost. There is no way that any escrowing of any amount will beat that.

I've said this often. An ESW (in fact any kind of "insurance") is a gamble. It pits odds designed to protect you from catastrophic losses. In essence wealth protection.

Consider this, you spend a lot of money for auto insurance and hope you never have to use it. Think about that.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:14 PM   #9

Get another quote for sure. I have never bought a warranty on anything but these coaches are so technical and complicated and with shop rates at $149 per hour, I bought it on our Cornerstone. We are now 9 months beyond factory warranty. So far the warranty has paid over $4500 for repairs so we are very happy that we bought it. Maybe more important, the warranty co. Has not hesitated on any of the repairs including the dash air dryer that plugged causing it to block the cold air. Have fixed a toilet, in addition to the dash air and replaced one of the house air units and the outside tv plus a module that connected it to the iPad control unit. All at our selling dealer, NIRVC so no deductible. Yep, over $4500 and my cost has been ZERO to date. All just my experience.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:33 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
mrome.... even with today’s $150 shop rates your quote seems exorbitant, particularly on a 5 y/o coach with a $500 ded. Six years ago (shop rates ~$90-$120), I paid $4600 for four years, $100 ded, on a 10 y/o DutchStar. [For the record, in the full term of my contract the insurer paid about $8500 in claims.]

When/if you buy, be sure it is an *exclusionary* contract, and try very hard to include coverage for “consequential damage”. This tends to shift the coverage odds slightly toward you, but I understand most underwriters are refusing the full clause these days.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I know there are many nay sayers and I know many folks that were glad they had one.

We put a 4 year ESW on our 2006 DSDP 4320 that we bought January 2013. It cost about $5K. Yes, prices have gone up but so have service costs.

Buy the end of the ESW it paid out over twice as much as the cost. There is no way that any escrowing of any amount will beat that.

I've said this often. An ESW (in fact any kind of "insurance") is a gamble. It pits odds designed to protect you from catastrophic losses. In essence wealth protection.

Consider this, you spend a lot of money for auto insurance and hope you never have to use it. Think about that.
Auto insurance is mandated by law and liability is unlimited. Not so with a warranty: you can always junk the machine to make your cost zero.

The extended warranty companies make a lot of money. Consider that.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:04 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrome54369 View Post
buying this unit through Steinbring and they are offering an extended warranty. We have a budget that sets aside $600 a month for repairs with accessible savings for emergencies. I've always stayed away from warranties (except for the DW's phone...) but wanted to throw this out. Steinbring is not pushing the warranty, just something that is available. thanks in advance for feedback.

"warranty excludes items like wear and tear (batteries, tires, fuses), general maintenance (like oil changes or tire rotations), and anything cosmetic (such as the shell of the coach, flooring, cabinetry, or furniture). They do pick up coverage of mechanical items on the coach: engine, transmission, drive axle, steering, suspension, frame, generator, heating and cooling systems, water and waste systems, slide outs, leveling systems, appliances, audio and video technology, coach electronics, chassis electronics. They also cover your towing and roadside assistance in the event of a breakdown. Total cost is $13,035 for a 5 year unlimited mile policy with a $500 deductible."

That is a lot of money I’m guessing as a % of the purchase price for the motorhome it’s substantial . and I would be curious to read the fine print, if your ac goes out can they use (LKQ) parts, basically used, is there any proration term, another words it’s 15 years old so we will only cover 40% of the repairs.
Either way, I’m sure the dealership has several thousand dollars of profit in that price , and if you were to say no it’s to much money, don’t be surprised if they find away to offer it for less. You could also just try “no because my budget is x” see what happens
I have seen great extended warranties and I have seen really bad ones. You should try and get Customer feed back on that particular company before committing, if that’s the route you choose. Good luck Stuart
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:11 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
That is a lot of money I’m guessing as a % of the purchase price for the motorhome it’s substantial . and I would be curious to read the fine print, if your ac goes out can they use (LKQ) parts, basically used, is there any proration term, another words it’s 15 years old so we will only cover 40% of the repairs.
Either way, I’m sure the dealership has several thousand dollars of profit in that price , and if you were to say no it’s to much money, don’t be surprised if they find away to offer it for less. You could also just try “no because my budget is x” see what happens
I have seen great extended warranties and I have seen really bad ones. You should try and get Customer feed back on that particular company before committing, if that’s the route you choose. Good luck Stuart

Also wanted to add, at at $500 deductible your monthly budget will be blown
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:53 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis

For every person who says, “We came out Great!”, there has got to be at least two who came out not so great or the companies selling this coverage would be out of business.

Personally, I believe in “self insurance”, where you put that $600 a month aside and at the end of the first year, you have a nice pot in place.

You didn’t say what the mileage or condition is on this unit, but I would guess it’s “low” and “good”. With proper maintenance, the chassis, engine, and tranny, are pretty bullet proof. Most claims would be on house items. I agree with others who have said the price point on this one is high, but it all comes down to the fine print and your appetite to self insure. Quite likely, there is meat on the bone here the dealer would give up.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extended warranty, warranty