Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2018, 11:58 AM   #1
hrt

Newmar Owners Club
External (car) amplifiers

Hi,

I'm considering replacing the clarion nx405 with a preamp-only head unit. Those of you who are using external amps with the head unit, where did you mount them? Any issues? Pictures?

Thanks!
hrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2018, 06:22 PM   #2

Won't you be giving up navigation and cell phone bluetooth ?
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
Won't you be giving up navigation and cell phone bluetooth ?
Depends on which pre=amp level head unit the old is replaced with.
For example, most all Android head units support navigation and bluetooth / hands free phone.

On the topic of amps, you can put them anywhere you have high current 12 volts, that has some ventilation for heat dissipation and then will physically fit the amps. On my MA, there is a kick panel in front of the passenger footrest. Has the subwoofer there. Very easy to put a auto amplifier there as well. Easy access to the 12 volt high current cables just on the other side of the firewall.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:50 AM   #4
hrt

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Depends on which pre=amp level head unit the old is replaced with.
For example, most all Android head units support navigation and bluetooth / hands free phone.

Whole point is to avoid android and touch screen on the radio, i.e. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158RSX...y-RSX-GS9.html, which has bluetooth calling support. I'd get a standalone gps unit. (The bluetooth calling was never quite usable anyway - speaker quality too poor as was the mic, combined with too much noise - neither end was quite understandable).

Quote:
On the topic of amps, you can put them anywhere you have high current 12 volts, that has some ventilation for heat dissipation and then will physically fit the amps. On my MA, there is a kick panel in front of the passenger footrest. Has the subwoofer there. Very easy to put a auto amplifier there as well. Easy access to the 12 volt high current cables just on the other side of the firewall.

Thanks. Yeah I figured most likely that or maybe behind the drawer where the car sub is rumored to be (I haven't looked), though that has ventilation issues.

After posting this I saw an older posting that put the amps in the under staircase storage - that looks awesome, though quite a bit of extra cabling.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:52 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Your profile doesn't say what year your DS is. On my 2019, there is a panel on the dash, at the passenger's feet that is velcroid on. Newmar installed a large subwoofer (amp size) behind that panel.

On older model Dutch Star's, at least back to 2014, the area in front of the passenger's feet is difficult to remove, but there's a LOT of room behind there for an amp. You can pull the center drawer out and look. Depending on your amp size, you may be able to slide it in via the drawer opening and secure it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrt View Post
Hi,

I'm considering replacing the clarion nx405 with a preamp-only head unit. Those of you who are using external amps with the head unit, where did you mount them? Any issues? Pictures?

Thanks!

Really?? I’m quite happy with the Jensen cd and the 3” speakers. Can’t imagine wanting anything better!
Old 12-30-2018, 10:18 PM   #7

I am missing the point...What is the goal? No screen or information?
Use your smartphone as the media source?
Better quality audio?
All of the above?
Whats the budget?
Old 12-30-2018, 11:30 PM   #8
hrt

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I am missing the point...What is the goal? No screen or information?
Use your smartphone as the media source?
Better quality audio?
All of the above?
Whats the budget?

Better sound will be nice, but I won't get the sound I want. This is more about getting an interface I can use without having to look away from the road for more than a glance while driving. So, knobs and clicky buttons. Could consider a steering wheel remote I suppose...

But since two of the head units I was looknig at were pre-amp only, no built-in amplifier, my question in this thread was where others had placed their amps.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:32 PM   #9
hrt

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Your profile doesn't say what year your DS is. On my 2019, there is a panel on the dash, at the passenger's feet that is velcroid on. Newmar installed a large subwoofer (amp size) behind that panel.

On older model Dutch Star's, at least back to 2014, the area in front of the passenger's feet is difficult to remove, but there's a LOT of room behind there for an amp. You can pull the center drawer out and look. Depending on your amp size, you may be able to slide it in via the drawer opening and secure it.

Thanks - I'll take a look behind the drawer when I get a chance. (It's a 2017)
Old 01-01-2019, 12:25 AM   #10

How would you describe your perfect user interface if not graphical?
Do you mean like integrated volume control Up / Down and Channel Up / Down on the steering wheel?
So, if you want to listen to a radio channel...how would you know what channel it was tuned to? Or what song to play from you music collection?
Or a semi graphical Heads UP screen superimposed on the windshield?
Or all voice control?

As far as amplifier - that's probably the much easier obstacle. Lots of places in an RV for amps.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:29 PM   #11
hrt

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
How would you describe your perfect user interface if not graphical?
Do you mean like integrated volume control Up / Down and Channel Up / Down on the steering wheel?
So, if you want to listen to a radio channel...how would you know what channel it was tuned to? Or what song to play from you music collection?
Or a semi graphical Heads UP screen superimposed on the windshield?
Or all voice control?

I expect to look at a visual display occasionally to select an album or playlist, but to switch to a different source, tune up/down, mute, pause, fast forward/rewind, i should be able to feel my way to a knob or button and tell by a click when i've hit it once, two, three times.

Eyes on the road!

Quote:
As far as amplifier - that's probably the much easier obstacle. Lots of places in an RV for amps.

Only two inconspicuous ones, though - behind the drawer, and under the entry steps.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:46 PM   #12

Quote:
I expect to look at a visual display occasionally to select an album or playlist, but to switch to a different source, tune up/down, mute, pause, fast forward/rewind, i should be able to feel my way to a knob or button and tell by a click when i've hit it once, two, three times.

Eyes on the road!

Only two inconspicuous ones, though - behind the drawer, and under the entry steps.
Yes, I certainly understand your point. I was responsible for FCA's Uconnect Strategy. Our motto was 'Hands on Wheel, Eyes on Road'. FCA was award winning for best user interface. It is a very serious set of issues.

Here is a very inexpensive solution:
https://www.amazon.com/KKmoon-Steeri...ontrol+android

I was researching aftermarket buttons to add support within our software. I have no background with these particular and am skeptical on quality due to their extreme low price. But, link was handy to give you some ideas.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Better sound will be nice, but I won't get the sound I want. This is more about getting an interface I can use without having to look away from the road for more than a glance while driving. So, knobs and clicky buttons. Could consider a steering wheel remote I suppose...

But since two of the head units I was looknig at were pre-amp only, no built-in amplifier, my question in this thread was where others had placed their amps.
That Sony head unit you linked to requires an app on your phone to control. So it's not just knobs and clicky buttons.
mgtibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:01 AM   #14
hrt

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Yes, I certainly understand your point. I was responsible for FCA's Uconnect Strategy. Our motto was 'Hands on Wheel, Eyes on Road'. FCA was award winning for best user interface. It is a very serious set of issues.

Here is a very inexpensive solution:
https://www.amazon.com/KKmoon-Steeri...ontrol+android

I was researching aftermarket buttons to add support within our software. I have no background with these particular and am skeptical on quality due to their extreme low price. But, link was handy to give you some ideas.

Cool. I do like the size of those buttons. But 20 years go I bought a nice steering wheel mounted remote with my blaupunkt stereo... I found I actually didn't use it much because the steering wheel is constantly moving and my brain wants it always in the same place

So now you've got me thinking. The clarion did come with a remote - it's just terrible for many reasons (barely works; must be held in hand; horrible button layout). So why not create a dash mounted arduino remote with a few big buttons, two dials and an IR transmitter?