Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2017, 03:58 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Extra sleeping capacity

Morning all, we are looking at a 2005 Kountry Star where the previous owner removed the couch and replaced with a double lazy boy recliner unit. We were wondering how easy it would be to remove these seats and replace with a seat-couch that pulls out for extra sleeping accommodations.

Anyone have experience with this ?

Thanks
gimlimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2017, 08:21 AM   #2

If they came apart well enough to go in the Lazy Boy unit probably comes apart well enough to go out. I would not expect to have to do heroic disassembly as that would be hard to reassemble in the MH when they put it in.

You might have to dig a bit to find one but new RV couches that turn into a bed are available. It's a matter of finding one that breaks down to where the parts break down to where you can get them through the door.

My question is whether or not you will have enough company to make it worth a lot of trouble to bother. Kids do as well or better on the floor with a pad and sleeping bag. Two adults do not really fit on those couches. A fold up cot will do one if you can set it up in the space available. You are going to spend a lot of time on the couch you put in so plan accordingly.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:26 AM   #3

Will you need seat belts on the couch too? For liability reasons I wouldn't install seatbelts myself. Find a reputable aftermarket business to do it for you.
Bubbs33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:29 AM   #4

If the piece of furniture does not come apart enough to get it through the door, you have two options.

You can remove a big window. I did this several years ago, to change out a couch in a fifth-wheel.

The other option would be to remove a slide-out. Probably a good idea to have a RV expert (dealers service dept) do this, as they probably have the special equipment and "know how". This option is probably a little pricey too.
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:37 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
If they came apart well enough to go in the Lazy Boy unit probably comes apart well enough to go out. I would not expect to have to do heroic disassembly as that would be hard to reassemble in the MH when they put it in.

You might have to dig a bit to find one but new RV couches that turn into a bed are available. It's a matter of finding one that breaks down to where the parts break down to where you can get them through the door.

My question is whether or not you will have enough company to make it worth a lot of trouble to bother. Kids do as well or better on the floor with a pad and sleeping bag. Two adults do not really fit on those couches. A fold up cot will do one if you can set it up in the space available. You are going to spend a lot of time on the couch you put in so plan accordingly.
good points, I assumed it was assembled inside the coach and not delivered from factory like this. I have never seen a KS with this configeration
Old 07-28-2017, 10:46 AM   #6

Actual Lazy Boy brand furniture the backs come off. Takes a bit of a tug on some. Not sure about RV type furniture but I bet they do as well
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:06 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you everyone for your comments, some great points.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:33 AM   #8

I think you will find that almost all recliner type furniture comes with a removable back. They ship with the back flat on the seat so it's a compact package. There are a couple of different mechanisms to hold the back in.

With the back off the seat height vs the door width is the major issue if you have room to hook an arm through the door then swing the seat around and through and pivot on the other side of the seat to arm to finish getting it out. The base usually comes off if it's a rocker or rocker swivel. You have to undo the spring pack with some wedges. Any furniture guy can show you how. I learned in 5 minutes when In-laws needed the chair now but installer was days away. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote