Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2015, 04:39 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
We approached this issue a little differently. We sold our previous coach a couple of months prior to our scheduled factory delivery on a 2015 DS 4369. Since we had emptied all of our RV stuff out of the previous coach and we were driving the toad from California to Indiana, we knew we could travel with even the bare necessities for a summer of travel. rather than rent a u-haul and tow it 2300 miles we shipped out stuff. Now this may sound odd but it was actually very easy. I packed all of the truly needed items into boxes and plastic totes which I could store in the basement. The shipping company provided me with a pallet and the plastic wrap to wrap the items after I had loaded it. They then picked up the pallet with a fork lift and weighed it. It weighed approximately 550 lbs. The pallet was shipped from California to Newmar warehouse 42 for $209. I tracked the shipment across the country and it took 7 days to arrive at Building 42.
When we picked up our coach, Carl had the pallet delivered to the warehouse where we first started our delivery. The pallet was right outside the front door of the coach and I was able to unload the pallet in a couple of hours.
This turned out very good for us and may provide another alternative for some. If anyone would like more info and suggestions on this process please just PM me.
Congratulations on your new coach. This list of items previously mentioned are very thorough and any small items can be purchased during your first couple of weeks.
Baja Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2015, 11:06 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpegg607 View Post
We approached this issue a little differently. We sold our previous coach a couple of months prior to our scheduled factory delivery on a 2015 DS 4369. Since we had emptied all of our RV stuff out of the previous coach and we were driving the toad from California to Indiana, we knew we could travel with even the bare necessities for a summer of travel. rather than rent a u-haul and tow it 2300 miles we shipped out stuff. Now this may sound odd but it was actually very easy. I packed all of the truly needed items into boxes and plastic totes which I could store in the basement. The shipping company provided me with a pallet and the plastic wrap to wrap the items after I had loaded it. They then picked up the pallet with a fork lift and weighed it. It weighed approximately 550 lbs. The pallet was shipped from California to Newmar warehouse 42 for $209. I tracked the shipment across the country and it took 7 days to arrive at Building 42.
When we picked up our coach, Carl had the pallet delivered to the warehouse where we first started our delivery. The pallet was right outside the front door of the coach and I was able to unload the pallet in a couple of hours.
This turned out very good for us and may provide another alternative for some. If anyone would like more info and suggestions on this process please just PM me.
Congratulations on your new coach. This list of items previously mentioned are very thorough and any small items can be purchased during your first couple of weeks.
Best idea, yet! What shipping company did you use?
Old 08-31-2015, 10:33 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
I initially looked at one of the Internet shipping web sites. I learned they were simply the middle man and almost doubling the price. I contacted YRC Trucking directly. I looked up a YRC shipping terminal in the city I was beginning this adventure. They were very very helpful. I explained I had never done and they told me they would walk me through the process and help me if I needed it. It was important to try to take all of my stuff to the terminal at the same time, or at least on the same day, so I wouldn't tie up their loading dock. They bought a pallet out to my Jeep and when I was ready they would pick it up, weigh it, and get it loaded. The staff made this process very easy. I loaded my tow bar, rock guard, and all the towing gear either in boxes or placed between the boxes before I tied it all down and wrapped with cellophane. The manager I spoke with told to make labels for each box or item listing my name, contact info, where the pallet was originating and the destination. I also listed Carl Synder as a contact person at Newmar. Carl told me that Newmar frequently receives pallets from customers and they had the loading dock and fork lifts available any time.
Baja Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:57 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGriffin View Post
If you are going to pick your coach up at the factory, what should you buy and take with you? Sewer hose connectors? (What type) Multimeter? Rags? Toilet Paper?

What are your ideas and experiences?
When we picked up our 2012DSDP, we did not do factory delivery but did the PDI at the dealer. In either case, along with your list, I suggest taking a couple of very bright flashlights and extra batteries for inspection-- inspect the paint and bright work carefully-- and list any possible defects during your PDI-- even if they are minor. With the absence of coach mounted ladders, hopefully Newmar has a way for you to get safely on the roof to inspect. I would also bring a creeper or tarp to allow me to crawl up underneath the coach to inspect. For me, I would need a couple of notebooks, a role of blue painters tape (should I find a defect), level (to check the autolevel of the HWH jacks) and a pre-printed check list.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFZ View Post
When we picked up our 2012DSDP, we did not do factory delivery but did the PDI at the dealer. In either case, along with your list, I suggest taking a couple of very bright flashlights and extra batteries for inspection-- inspect the paint and bright work carefully-- and list any possible defects during your PDI-- even if they are minor. With the absence of coach mounted ladders, hopefully Newmar has a way for you to get safely on the roof to inspect. I would also bring a creeper or tarp to allow me to crawl up underneath the coach to inspect. For me, I would need a couple of notebooks, a role of blue painters tape (should I find a defect), level (to check the autolevel of the HWH jacks) and a pre-printed check list.

Mike
Hey Mike,
Good idea on the level. I would never have thought of that one.
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote