Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2015, 10:54 AM   #1

Factory Delivery: What should you take with you?

If you are going to pick your coach up at the factory, what should you buy and take with you? Sewer hose connectors? (What type) Multimeter? Rags? Toilet Paper?

What are your ideas and experiences?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2015, 11:28 AM   #2

Taking your current toad to the factory? Flying?
How long is your return trip ?
If you don't already have your set up items ; water hose , sewer, multi-meter, just locate the nearest Walmart, ( it's less that 30 miles from the factory) ; if memory serves, drive over and buy what you need there.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:47 AM   #3

We loaded everything that came out of the 5th wheel and truck into a 5 x 9 uhaul trailer and loaded that into our new DSDP 4369. Admittedly, only a few things were thrown away but everything was already packed in plastic totes. There are more than a few empty plastic totes in the basement. Tools and all the things you mentioned were of course in the load because we already had all of that!

The Tru Induction cook top is awesome and Lynn bought new pots and pans for that purpose alone. They are very great to cook with! We donated lots of boxes and some totes when we were done moving in.

It took the entire weekend to get everything stowed and then it has been a process of getting things where they really needed to be.
We found it amazing how quickly we filled it up but it is much more orderly than it was in the 5th wheel.

We use a ARB 63 Qt fridge freezer in the basement for cold drinks that fit perfectly on the slide which was meant for the Dometic, we just liked the ARB more!

Cleaning gear and that sort of stuff we bought in town.

We also had a tote with septic hoses and fittings and another tote with spare 50amp and 30amp electrical cable also, we care extra water hose, extension cords and small pump to transfer out of rivers etc. Doesn't really take up that much room and doesn't weigh that much. We don't carry many engine related spares but we do carry some coolants and petroleum products.

A few vacuum bags spares will be handy and some water filters may be necessary. We're in the process of looking into a water softener but have not yet settled on a specific one. Many other folks may have some great suggestions for us all in that regard.

We prefer bio-degradable soaps for the laundry and the dishwasher / sink so we brought that as well.

We transferred our Sirius XM subscription to the Dutch Star prior to arrival so that was going already without much effort.

Well that should do for now, good luck to you. This was one of the most exciting things we have ever done and I think Lynn and I would agree that our expectations have been exceeded!

All the best to you,

Jeff and Lynn
Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:06 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mike......just a thought...... I've heard of people renting those PODS, filling them up with their stuff and then have it shipped/delivered to the factory.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:37 PM   #5

If you really want to cover all bases, a few unfortunates who have posted their stories here would strongly suggest you take your toad so you are not left stranded.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:50 PM   #6

Jeff and Lynn gave you a great list. I would add, if you haven't already thought of it, bed linens and towels. The other is camp chairs for the inevitable evening parking lot get together with other owners ( weather permitting ).We bought odds n' ends from Walmart in S. Bend, groceries from Martin's in Napanee. Since this was our first coach DW exercised her right to single handedly improve the economy and our pick up was packed to the max.

Congratulations on the new coach. You're going to love it!
Old 08-26-2015, 12:58 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Checkbook...... But seriously, best of luck with the new coach.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:42 PM   #8

Taking my toad up. Will get hitched @ Dans. Then return home pulling it with the DSDP.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:03 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We brought only the bare necessities with us. Just what we needed for a week at Newmar and 2 days on the road to get home.

We shopped at Martin's grocery in Nappanee (2 miles away) and bought food, paper plates, plastic utensils, trash bags, detergent, etc.

We brought 2 pans for the induction system and cooking utensils, towels, linens and pillows for the bed, voltmeter and some small hand tools, toilet paper, laptop and pdi checklist, a dvd and cd for system testing.

We also brought our sewer hose, but the DutchStar comes with one so we could have left that at home.

Don't forget closed toed shoes so you can take the factory tour while there.

The suggestion of outdoor chairs is good if you have room. We didn't have chairs and did all our outdoor gathering on the Customer Lounge porch.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:12 AM   #10

We plan to do like Jeff and Lynn and load up a small Uhaul trailer and pull it with our toad to Nappanee. We live about a 1000 miles away and plan to be gone for about a month on the initial trip so we want to transfer everything that was in our travel trailer right away. The dealer is installing the Blue Ox base plate and wiring so we will be ready to tow our car. Anything we forgot or need we will just buy at the aforementioned stores.

Quote:
We also brought our sewer hose, but the DutchStar comes with one so we could have left that at home.
I'm just curious if the Ventana comes with a sewer hose too?
Old 08-27-2015, 11:27 AM   #11

Thanks to all for the great ideas. I've made a list. Two questions, though.

1. Doesn't it already come with a water filter (the DS4369)?

2. What kinds of connectors should I buy beforehand for the sewer hose? I know they say to get clear ones, and I think that they are elbows, but are there particular sizes?
Old 08-27-2015, 12:27 PM   #12

They do have water line on a power reel which is very nice. I have extra lay flat so I carry it with us, sometimes it comes in handy. As far as the the sewer connections you just have to get those on site, as it varies from one connection to the other as to what works best. We carry two sections of hose.

Jeff and Lynn
Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:24 AM   #13

OP - we drove our Wrangler to Newmar - 700 miles. We rented a small enclosed U-haul and stashed all the "stuff" inside - and there was a lot - everything mentioned here - PLUS (we had a 2200 mile, (6) day trip from factory to new home state). Maybe we over prepared, but picking up a new coach and driving it a distance is akin to a yacht delivery - you don't know what you are going to encounter.

Returning the U-haul was simple - drive past Martins about a mile and on the right hand side is a trailer dealer that has the U-hauls. (But call ahead, I seem to recall someone saying they may be getting out of the U-haul business)
Former Coach - Newmar London Aire
JCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:04 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDogRanch View Post
Checkbook...... But seriously, best of luck with the new coach.
Was going to say CREDIT CARDS myself.. But Checkbook works too.

Seriously it depends on how far from factory to home. I would take the minimum with me (Perhaps a couple rolls of Scotts Singles TP) but if you are not far from home.. Take Towed (As someone suggested) and a spare driver for it. and a couple. of FRS or hand held CB radios so you can talk to the towed (or a fixed CB in the towed).

Or if you are licensed 2 meter rigs

If it' a 4 hour trip. Drive home buy stuff later
If it's a 4 day trip and you plan on sleeping in the RV take bedding (Ask for what size) or hit Sears/Penny's ASAP.

Likewise you can find a local RV supply.. Wal*mart may not be my favorite shopping place but they will likely have most of what you need for stopping at campgrounds which is not included in teh RV.

Or (Insert name of big RV dealer here) can provision you as well.

If you need Food. Kroger, Albertsons.. _______ and of course the much hated Wal*mart.