Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2016, 10:22 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Factory Pick Up & Air Force One install

Will be doing Factory Pick Up late April of our 4369 Dutch Star.

If I bring the SMI with me - will Newmar service install the coach side for the Air Force One & who can do the car side?

How did you handle this if you use Air Force One & did Factory Pick Up ??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2016, 10:50 AM   #2

Here's a thread with some information. Air Force One installer

ghaynes754 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:15 AM   #3

I am not sure if Newmar will do the coach side of air force one. When we did our CPU in March Dan,s hitches in elkhart is who we used. I was very happy with them, they also installed our TST system. Ryan the owner is sometimes a little slow on calling back but he always calls. If you go there you will see why he is slow with call backs ( his shop is VERY BUSY ) thats a good sign in my book. I would use him again tomorrow. Hope that helps
Kevin
2016 Dutch Star 4018
RVI brake system.Blue OX avail
2010 Dodge Ram
Old 11-17-2016, 11:37 AM   #4

Hi Stuart,

When We did CPU in Aug '15, Newmar wouldn't install the coach side of AF1 on a Freightliner chassis. I was told that there was ongoing discussion about this between Newmar and FCCC. On the other hand, Newmar and Spartan were in agreement and Newmar was installing the coach side of AF1 on the Spartan chassis. If I remember correctly, you chose the Spartan chassis so you may be in luck.

I would try and have the service guys install the unit BEFORE the house gets built on top. The labor hours would be much smaller when there is full access to the area.

Jerry
Old 11-17-2016, 09:31 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
On the other hand, Newmar and Spartan were in agreement and Newmar was installing the coach side of AF1 on the Spartan chassis. If I remember correctly, you chose the Spartan chassis so you may be in luck.

Jerry
Thanks Jerry - as we are getting the Spartan chassis. I'll check with Ken Miller - Newmar Service Manager.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:36 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96kpmjmm View Post
When we did our CPU in March Dan,s hitches in elkhart is who we used. I was very happy with them, they also installed our TST system. Ryan the owner is sometimes a little slow on calling back but he always calls. If you go there you will see why he is slow with call backs ( his shop is VERY BUSY ) thats a good sign in my book. I would use him again tomorrow. Hope that helps
Kevin
2016 Dutch Star 4018
RVI brake system
Thanks Kevin - If Newmar can do the coach side on a Spartan then that leaves the car to do. I will call Ryan & I also might get the car done here in AZ & then ship it to the Factory if the coach side is handled.

BTW: what is "TST" ?
Old 11-17-2016, 09:44 PM   #7

TST is a company that has a tire pressuring monitoring system for coach and car.

I was told by the Spartan guys at the Hershey show that Newmar did not want the air feature on the DS like on all the coaches above it. Maybe the Spartan chassis on the DS was a last minute decision so no time to add that feature. So maybe Newmar will do it now. Let us now what Ken Miller says.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:40 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
The reason for not having Spartan and Freightliner install tire pressure monitor system is a marketing decision. It is what Newmar considers a "model discriminator" and will not consider it as a custom option on lower priced models.

2015 DSDP 4369, 2014 Grand Cherokee, SMI AF1, VMSpc. Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:09 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Newmar was willing to install the coach side of our Air Force One, for over twice what our dealer charged.

Our dealer was Midway, less than two hours north of the factory. They installed the brake system, some roof vent covers and a Progressive Industries surge protector, all for much less than Newmar estimated. One of the Newmar team leaders explained that they have to be careful not to undercut their dealers.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 06:54 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
X 2 on Dan's Service in Elkhart. Ryan and his crew completed a difficult AF1/Blue Ox install on my 2016 Lincoln MKX with adaptive cruise lady June. They are friendly, informative and do high quality work.
2016 Lincoln MKX, SMI Air Force One, Blue Ox
Capt. Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 12:16 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh View Post
The reason for not having Spartan and Freightliner install tire pressure monitor system is a marketing decision. It is what Newmar considers a "model discriminator" and will not consider it as a custom option on lower priced models.
If you are saying that it is offered on upper end Newmars...
SO THIS IS A SAFETY ITEM & NEWMAR FEELS DUTCH STAR OWNERS (& BELOW) ARE NOT EVEN WORTHY OF IT AS AN OPTION IF WE ARE WILLING TO PAY.
Your kidding - right?

Oh, but you can order King Aire floors or Essex counter tops in your Dutch Star but not a safety item. How funny is that.

Bad enough Newmar doesn't have surge protection in the coach or even offer it as an option.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:06 AM   #12

Interested in why you chose a Spartan chassis. I have been leaning towards Freightliner due simply to the number of service centers across USA and Canada, but would go the other way if measured on the better capabilities of Spartan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartS View Post
Thanks Kevin - If Newmar can do the coach side on a Spartan then that leaves the car to do. I will call Ryan & I also might get the car done here in AZ & then ship it to the Factory if the coach side is handled.

BTW: what is "TST" ?

Tags
install