Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2019, 10:31 AM   #1

Factory Pick Up Question

We just ordered our Ventana 3709 and plan to enjoy the factory pick up. Coming from VA, we would most likely fly and are curious to know if there’s a place around the factory where we could pick up all of the supplies we will need to head home from IN. Also, where can we find a list of must haves to get us through the first few days of travel? We searched the forum and weren’t able to find specific camping equipment that people had either shipped or bought there! Thanks in advance for your help, as we are RV newbies.

Mike and Jackie
mjq1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2019, 11:14 AM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Have you thought about loading all your gear into a POD and having it shipped to Newmar?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:31 AM   #3

First, we need to know what it is that we need to bring, then we can decide how to get it there. Can you help us with that?
Old 10-13-2019, 12:00 PM   #4

Is this your first motorhome? Or do you already have stuff from your previous motorhome?
Old 10-13-2019, 04:14 PM   #5

This is our first motor home! Neither of us has camped since we were kids, so we need advice on what we need to get started.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:15 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I don't know for sure, but some things they will provide for you, fresh hose built in, may come or have credit in parts for sewer hose, others can help with that. Yes, please bring all your personal items, i.e., clothes, personal things we don't need to know about. VA, assuming that is Virginia, if your TOAD is setup to be towed, I would suggest to drive it, so you have a car to get around in. If not, Martin's is two blocks up the street to the North, great salad bar area, pretty good fuel prices as well. Be aware, IN is tearing up every road to repair, Indy is horrible on nights and weekends, DONT go through there then. I think I would call delivery personal/whomever and just ask them what they are going to provide, and what you will need to purchase, Newmar has extensive parts room, suspect they have it all. I was able to get most anything I wanted there. I also suggest you get two additional key fobs because I drop them often and they break.

As a personal favor to all here and others who are on road, if you have never driven large top heavy vehicle please, please, please, take a professional driving class. They are about two days long, and you will learn things to keep you safe and all the rest of us as well, get wife to take it with you, she may have to backstop you one day due to things out of your control. Your state MAY have specifics on licensing for your RV, check to make sure you are legal and trust me, that information is clouded in obscurity on the DMV websites.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:18 PM   #7

When we bought our first motorhome, we flew to Chicago to get it. Had never had one before. We bought RV specific items at the dealer like a Progressive EMS, water regulator, etc.

I’m pretty sure your coach will have onboard water hose and electrical cable, so no need for those, but do recommend the EMS and water regulator. They probably have them at the Newmar store. If your coach has a Sanicon, no need to buy a sewer hose; if not, you’ll need one.

We went to a Walmart and a Bed Bath and Beyond the night before we picked it up and bought a set of sheets, towels, paper plates, paper towels, and plasticware. Oh, and a coffeemaker, too. Was easier to just eat out on the way home, so we could spend time choosing the “permanent” cookware, dishes, etc.

After one night on our RV bed, we stopped at another Walmart and bought a 3” memory foam topper for the bed. Much happier.

We videotaped our PDI, and watched it again when we had questions about how to do something. It was very helpful to us. And our coach was much more simple than the Newmars.

Take your time going home...it’s not hard to learn to drive it. I find it much harder to be the passenger than the driver, you feel like you’re going to fall off the side of the road. Stop early each day, as I’m sure you will think of things you need at another Walmart on the way home. And you will be tired, as there is a lot more to watch with a motorhome than a car. As you gain experience, it becomes easier and less tiring.

Others will chime in as to stores in the Nappanee area to buy your wares.

Since you’re newbies, and I’ve only been doing this a couple of years, a word of advice. Only buy something when you need it, otherwise you’ll end up with things you thought you needed, and end up not using.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:08 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
toilet paper
travel size shampoo/conditioner/toothpaste
paper plates styrofome cups plastic cutlery
paper towels
linens/pillows and pillow cases or two sleeping bags
coffee brewer
surge protection
water pressure regulator (adjustable)
white water hose
sewer hose
bath towels
toothbrushes

These are things I would buy for my MH. I'm not familiar with what your buying, so all my suggestions may not apply. Don't forget to go grocery shopping.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjq1987 View Post
This is our first motor home! Neither of us has camped since we were kids, so we need advice on what we need to get started.
I assume you will rent a car if you fly in. The closest Walmart or large type store would probably be in Goshen I suspect, not much in Nappanee.

I was just at the new service center and went through the parts department twice. Got some new wipers and a couple other odds and ends. They did have a little sewer hose and some stuff but really not very much as far as furnishings or camping supplies.

I'm sure the techs you will be working with will provide some good advise on setting up and local suppliers. Employees there are top notch!
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:16 PM   #10

Thanks, all, great info and advice that will help us with our planning!
Old 10-13-2019, 06:34 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am here to start "CPU" tomorrow.
We too, live in Virginia, took I-64 to I-81, then to I-77. Stayed on I-77 to just South of Canton Ohio, then took 30 West all the way to Napanee. We got off 30 at the Rt. 331, and came to Rt.6 west of Napanee. Turned right on Rt.6 going back East to Newmar.
This route is about 100 miles longer, but the roads were all good. Had some minor construction encounters, but all in all, a great trip. We drove our "toad", and have it loaded with all the personal stuff for us, & the Coach. As well as the tow bar, brake controller, tire pressure monitors, etc for the coach & toad.
Just take your time and stay on these better roads, be careful, allow plenty of distance to slow down, brake, etc.
As suggested, buy the basics for the coach, paper plates, plastic spoons, forks, etc. And a coffee maker is a must!
I'm looking forward to this being a great week, a great learning experience, & a great future with a fantastic Newmar coach!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:14 PM   #12
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Boy, are you going to have fun! No, really I mean fun.

I think you will find a wide variety of what people think are “essential” for RV,ing. You will find your own norm, of course after buying and throwing away lots.

So what is essential. Here’s my barely worthy advise: put what you buy in one drawer. When you use it put it in a different drawer. After a year, look in the first drawer and what ever is there is not essential and can be re-gifted [emoji6].

We used to carry a compete kitchen of cookware. Found we only use our electric skillet and microwave, so now the extra weight is left home. Had a large and heavy outdoor carpet. Used once. Now is tucked into some corner of my garage, I think.

Now, we find a seal a meal a critical appliance. We use it for most everything. Word of caution though, it doesn’t work well on the pets. Ok pet lovers, it’s a joke, see the emoji [emoji38] is even laughing.

Good luck, and be safe out there.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:55 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
As an FYI, while doing your CPU at the new Newmar service center, the lovely lady at the front desk will accept packages for you. I say this for you to consider having your new stuff shipped to you there. AKA "Amazon"!!! When we bought our 2019 Ventana, we bought a lot of new stuff. 99% from Amazon.
While there this past August we had a couple of items sent to us, & it was no big deal for them.
We didn't do the CPU, but were there for the week with warranty service - Norm was awesome.
Good luck, safe travels, and remember to have a good time! This is an awesome way to travel!
Old 10-14-2019, 02:17 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We are from VA as well, and did our CPU this past March. We rented a mini van, filled it up with basics and drove over. We used the rental for the week, and dropped it off has we were headed out of town. Searches on the various forums will provide you great ideas, but it really comes down to what do you need to be comfortable and get on the road. There is a small RV dealer right up the road we stopped at and picked up some better quality dump hoses and fitting, and a couple of comfortable folding chairs. If you have a car available, there are plenty of places in the area that can help you fill up space. We purposely went minimal to get a feel for what we missed, what we used, and what seemed like a good idea but just added weight. You will be at Camp Newmar, there will be plenty of experienced campers there that can lend advice while having a beverage at the end of the day. Enjoy! Learn! Relax!

j
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote