Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2006, 04:49 PM   #1

Anyone have experience at picking up their new coach at the factory?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2006, 04:49 PM   #2

Anyone have experience at picking up their new coach at the factory?
Old 05-22-2006, 02:37 AM   #3

I'm kind of interested in this one too as I will do same. Are you going to take delivery at the factory, and if so when?
Old 05-22-2006, 03:14 AM   #4

Yes, would like to but have been told its $1500 extra to do it. Probablly in August.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:38 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dav5942:
Yes, would like to but have been told its $1500 extra to do it. Probablly in August. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why would you be charged extra to take delivery at the factory?

3778 W24
paulmarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:54 AM   #6

Well the $1500 might be a bargin. Picking a unit up at the factory includes the PDI. The PDI at the factory of, say an Essex, takes 5 days. Now how do you think that compares to a dealer's PDI? There is no way a dealer could afford to take more than a day or so to PDI a unit.
So, it should reduce the after delivery adjustments and problems tremendously. Additionally, they know how each component should work and have immediate replacement parts should an item require correction.

alleviating the frustration faced by some new owners of dealing with minor problems is worth the $1500 in my book.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:56 AM   #7

Dav5942, Well worth the extra cost of doing that, you get a through explation of every item, every function, every switch, you can stay at Newmar for as long as it takes you to feel confortable with your new coach, a technican comes out with you every day and goes over with you any questions you might have from the previous day, it usually takes 3-4 days of intense questions especially if you have the navigation system in your coach to feel confident. Hope that helps. Ed.S
Old 05-22-2006, 04:16 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

The Newmar dealer I have been dealing with in North Carolina has told me to expect a four hour PDI,no matter what coach I've owned before,as they take the time to show their owners the coach and to make sure EVERY system is working......A specific PDI tech does them...
A FIVE DAY PDI?? Oh my gosh....hate to ruffle some feathers here,but FIVE DAYS?

Having just come from a Winnebago Service appointment I had scheduled at the factory in Forest City, Winnebago has their techs come out every morning and enter your coach with you and go over the things that were fixed yesterday as well as those things you still have on your list...

Could you folks be talking of a "similar" service procedure in Napanee and not specifically a PDI?
I can certainly understand Newmar allowing those folks that need/want extra PDI time,but five days?
Sheesh....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:50 AM   #9

I presumed the 5 days was mainly them testing and adjusting if necessary each and every component. I was at the factory on May 2nd and was told the five days then.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:04 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Thanks Peter....I received an invitation from the area Newmar rep to attend a factory tour...Notice the back of the 2007 Essex brochure? Sure looks like the Bronzed Patina to me!!
Old 05-22-2006, 05:16 AM   #11

Bronze Patina. I wonder whether we can get that on a new Scottsdale?
Old 05-22-2006, 05:30 AM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

Old 05-22-2006, 05:34 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lug_Nut:
Bronze Patina. I wonder whether we can get that on a new Scottsdale? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure you can! It's one of the special "owner installed" options. Just order a set of touch-up paint for an Essex and have at it.

(Some assembly required).
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:41 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

As to factory pick-up, I can see the $1500 figure. First, Newmar really doesn't want to have to PDI every coach they make. That's what the dealer network is for. They want the price to discourage buyers from doing that.

Secondly, not every dealer is a gemstone. My Tiffin dealer is one of the good ones and I'll get the same service from them as at a factory. But, some of the upper end coaches are pretty sophisticated and can stretch the resources of many dealers. In this case, the $1500 isn't all that expensive to deter a potential buyer from factory delivery should that buyer really determine that it's in his best interest. In that case the $1500 upcharge serves to help defray Newmar's costs for the PDI while still meeting the customer's wants and needs.

I guess the choice of factory delivery or not will ultimately depend upon how much "upper end" your coach is and how you feel about your dealer's service capabilities.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote