Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2017, 11:29 PM   #1

Factory surge protector or aftermarket?

We have a 2018 DS 4326 on order, mid March delivery, I didn't option the factory surge protector ($600msrp), should I? Or would you go aftermarket?

Cheers
Kimik is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2017, 12:38 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Aftermarket. Progressive Industries full EMS. Not just a surge protector.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:58 AM   #3

The $600 MSRP has a heavier duty transfer switch contactor 65 amp in addition to the surge capabilities. The standard is a $125 transfer switch.
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:44 AM   #4

Hmmm. Tough call. Didn't have the option in 2017. Went with a Hughes Autoformer with built in surge suppressor. Very helpful with suppression but has the added advantage of boosting low voltage situations which in our experience are more common.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:39 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Kimik,
Go with the aftermarket. Surge Guard or Hughes does surges and boosts low power.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:00 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimik View Post
We have a 2018 DS 4326 on order, mid March delivery, I didn't option the factory surge protector ($600msrp), should I? Or would you go aftermarket?

Cheers
We were having this discussion at a recent rally and an interesting point of view came up...
What if you had a serious surge strike to your coach, assuming that the surge protector did its job and sacrificed itself to save the coach electronics, you would now need to replace the surge protector.
If it was built in and integrated with the transfer switch you would now have no power in the coach until you could source, order, ship, and install the new unit. (is this days, weeks?)
If it was aftermarket (Progressive, Surge Guard, etc.) you can likely source it over the counter at RV stores and camping centers (Camping World etc.) and install it yourself in minutes. Worst case scenario, you could bypass the surge protector and plug directly to pole.

It was an interesting point of view and made me happy that I have the standard plug-in Progressive right at the power post.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:59 AM   #7

Progressive EMS-PT50C

I have the factory surge protector but use the progressive one also. My control panel in the coach showed an error. Took the coach in to the dealer and they said it was the progressive unit is the problem. I emailed progressive today. Waiting to hear from them. I've heard great things about their customer service. I'm sure they will help.
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Mac View Post
We were having this discussion at a recent rally and an interesting point of view came up...
What if you had a serious surge strike to your coach, assuming that the surge protector did its job and sacrificed itself to save the coach electronics, you would now need to replace the surge protector.
If it was built in and integrated with the transfer switch you would now have no power in the coach until you could source, order, ship, and install the new unit. (is this days, weeks?)
If it was aftermarket (Progressive, Surge Guard, etc.) you can likely source it over the counter at RV stores and camping centers (Camping World etc.) and install it yourself in minutes. Worst case scenario, you could bypass the surge protector and plug directly to pole.

It was an interesting point of view and made me happy that I have the standard plug-in Progressive right at the power post.
This is the 1st unit we've had that didn't have a built in one so we bought the Progressive. I considered having a built in installed but after reading this I'm glad we did aftermarket
fegans02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:34 AM   #9

Thanks for all the feedback, I will go aftermarket. I like the idea of being able to replace it anywhere anytime.

Cheers to all.
Kimik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:41 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My rig came with the 50 amp Surge Guard and a 30 amp autotransfer switch to serve the inverter/charger only.
Was at a friends house to help with her SO's death and the paperwork. Found that the power was problematic and got down to 105 volts so I would turn on the gen when needed. Burned out the transfer switch so no power getting in from either the gen or shore power. Figured out how to keep the transfer switch on by using a popsicle stick.
The next day I went out and got a 50 amp Hughes Autoformer which I had planned on buying anyway. Unfortunately this was in CA and not on sale so it was about $100 more expensive than buying it on sale in OR a few weeks before!
Plus I had an unused 30 amp Hughes Autoformer at home that I should have thrown in the rig, it might have saved the transfer switch and the over $600 I spent on the 50 amp one!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:07 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I have read that on 2017 before it was a line item add, Newmar said that they had compatibility issues with Progressive and would not install them as a special. They only offered to install the one they offer now.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:08 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
I have read that on 2017 before it was a line item add, Newmar said that they had compatibility issues with Progressive and would not install them as a special. They only offered to install the one they offer now.

Also don't forget that's $600 retail, I'm sure your not talking retail for the motorhome
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:14 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webz View Post
I have the factory surge protector but use the progressive one also. My control panel in the coach showed an error. Took the coach in to the dealer and they said it was the progressive unit is the problem. I emailed progressive today. Waiting to hear from them. I've heard great things about their customer service. I'm sure they will help.
Quite sure I've read that you should not use two protectors together.

I got the factory unit. It seems to me that these units are supposed to dump the power if there's a problem, not blow up right? Why would you have to replace one? Mine didn't come with a fire extinguisher.
Guess I've got to go read the manual now. :(
Plus I guess I feel if I have the factory unit and there is a problem related to power, I don't have to call the guys I paid $300 to and ask if they'll replace my coach.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:38 PM   #14

Factory installed Hughes and Progressive Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Mac View Post

We purchased (and brought with us) the Hughes Autoformer and the Progressive Industries Surge Suppressor and had them installed by Newmar during our factory pickup. However, to address a situation as laid out by Norm, I had both pieces of equipment installed with "plugs", instead of hard wired, so that I could by-pass either one or both in the event of a failure. I also carry an inexpensive surge suppressor (Campco), that will plug in at the campground post in case I ever have that situation.

At the time (April 2016) Hughes offered a kit for the autoformer that included two short "pig tails" for this purpose.
woodosgood is offline   Reply With Quote