Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2018, 07:18 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fantastic Vent Fan Problems

Seems that when it rains, it pours.... my Fantastic vent fan in the kitchen should be rotating so that it pulls air out of the kitchen when instead it is rotating in the opposite direction pulling outside air into the coach. Does anyone know how to reverse the fan?

The second issue relates to the Fantastic vent fan in the half bath. The motor keeps turning even after the cover is closed. Then when I hit the switch again, the motor handle turns in the other direction but the cover doesn’t open. If I pull down on the rotating handle and turn the speed dial to off, I can manually open and close the cover. When I push the black knob back in to automatic and turn the switch on, the rotating motor constantly turns but the cover doesn’t move. This one is really perplexing. Any help is appreciated
Tomp4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2018, 07:42 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Most all FF have the ability to reverse. This video doesn't address that feature, but it does show how the other controls work. I'm not near my RV right now, but I do remember the controls include a reversing function. Perhaps your manual will show how the reverse function operates.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:57 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My remote has button lower right Air in / Air out not sure if there are different models?
Old 05-27-2018, 07:59 PM   #4

Sounds like stripped gears on the motor shaft. You could switch it with another location to check it.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:02 PM   #5
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
If you don't have your vent fan operating manual at hand, here's a link to one:

https://cdn.ltvdns.com/leisurevans.c...ontrollers.pdf

Some models have a reversing function, others don't. The manual tells you which and how to reverse the fan.

If you have a model that does not have a reversing function, it is wired incorrectly. A 12-volt circuit has polarity; positive (+) and negative (-). Reversing the connections will reverse the direction of the motor.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:47 PM   #6

Kitchen fan issue could simply be a matter of switching the electrical wires at the connections at the motor. Had the identical problem on our new coach awhile back.
Calpop45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:05 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Unless the fan has been removed or rewired, why would it suddenly not spin in the correct direction now? I'd hold off on reversing the wires and look for a switch that causes the change in direction.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:39 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As it turns out, the kitchen fan’s wires were reversed. It must have been that way from the factory and I just never realized it. In the bath fan, the lift motor seems to be pulling away from the lift assembly when there is torque at the time it closes the lid. It pulls away just enough to disengage the lifter.... I have tightened the screws and it helps, but it keeps happening. I guess I will have to call Fan-tasting and see what they say.

Thanks to all for the help and pointing me in the right direction
Old 05-28-2018, 02:56 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
It's conceivable that there is intentionally one intake fan and one outtake fan, to better move the air through the RV, especially when all doors and windows are closed.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:01 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I guess that’s conceivable, however, you would think that the fan over the stove would be set for exhaust....
Old 05-28-2018, 05:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp4801 View Post
As it turns out, the kitchen fan’s wires were reversed. It must have been that way from the factory and I just never realized it. In the bath fan, the lift motor seems to be pulling away from the lift assembly when there is torque at the time it closes the lid. It pulls away just enough to disengage the lifter.... I have tightened the screws and it helps, but it keeps happening. I guess I will have to call Fan-tasting and see what they say.

Yes it's frustrating. Mine did this when I bought the coach and I figured the motor gears were boogered up so I ordered new motors (on both of the FF in the coach). The new motor didn't help , I think that if they made the shaft a 1/4" longer life would be good.
Try this, when the motor is trying to lift or close the lid, press the motor up, not the knob, the motor itself, and it will engage. The shaft being short sure takes the "automatic" function out of mine when the temp gets hotter.
I am not sure how to fix this - if I push too hard the fan scrapes against the screen and starts to stop. My "Central Vent" is like the one you have in your kitchen except I can't see the vent in the ceiling - it sits down into the A/C duct work and is used to vent the entire coach via the return vents. This works ok but not sure why. It has the same lid motor mounted in the same corner. Just doesn't have the inside trim or screen. Maybe that trim is just enough to make the gear not engage?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:18 PM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
My Fantastic Fans are 22 yrs old --Kitchen and bath- Every year I lube the seals and lube the spring trigger to turn the fan on. If your Fan suddenly runs backwards -- Someone has reversed the wires-- Its that simple.-- Both Fans should pull out in all 3 speeds.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 07:50 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Yes it's frustrating. Mine did this when I bought the coach and I figured the motor gears were boogered up so I ordered new motors (on both of the FF in the coach). The new motor didn't help , I think that if they made the shaft a 1/4" longer life would be good.
Try this, when the motor is trying to lift or close the lid, press the motor up, not the knob, the motor itself, and it will engage. The shaft being short sure takes the "automatic" function out of mine when the temp gets hotter.
I am not sure how to fix this - if I push too hard the fan scrapes against the screen and starts to stop. My "Central Vent" is like the one you have in your kitchen except I can't see the vent in the ceiling - it sits down into the A/C duct work and is used to vent the entire coach via the return vents. This works ok but not sure why. It has the same lid motor mounted in the same corner. Just doesn't have the inside trim or screen. Maybe that trim is just enough to make the gear not engage?

Fan-tasting Vent is sending me a new motor assembly too. They said it comes with that plastic cover and I am hoping that the new cover will be the solution. Mine has a slight crack in it and I am thinking that the torque when closing is causing the plastic to give, which in turn, may be causing the motor to pull away... I really don’t think it’s the motor itself. We will see.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp4801 View Post

One of mine did this. The 2 screws that hold the motor and shaft in were stripped so not holding it tight. I took the screws out and went to ace and bought 2 that were about 1/2 inch longer...solved the problem.

Tags
ems, fan, problems, vent