Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2018, 02:44 PM   #1

Fault code, check engine light

2010 DSDP 43', with an Cummins ISL 400 . Check engine light came on. The fault code that I pulled, read:
MID 128 ENGINE
PID 101 FMI 0
Source Engine SPN 101 FMI 16
I was able to drive to my destination 50 miles away, in
Albuquerque with no problem. Engine sounded and ran fine. I was planning to spend a week here and there is a Cummins shop that opens Monday morning. I cannot find any fault codes I'm any of the manuals I have, does anyone know what these are? Also if anyone has had experience with this shop, or is there a better one. Thanks!
BobKatMsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2018, 02:46 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Here is what I found googling your fault code:

https://www.justanswer.com/medium-an...mi-0-2008.html
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:18 PM   #3

I couldn't be this lucky, could I? After sending the original post I check fluid levels, all were fine, as I went back to the front of the coach I noticed diesel fuel had dripped down the side of the coach from the fuel cap. I very seldom use that cap, almost always using the one on the drivers side. I tightened the cap, started the engine and no check engine light. Again, could I be that lucky?
Old 04-21-2018, 04:14 PM   #4
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
I think it is possible for you to be "this lucky." Here's what I would do. Since it looks like you have a code reader, you can probably also clear the fault with it. If so, clear the fault and see if it reappears. If it does, you still have a problem that needs to be found. If it doesn't reappear, you have solved your problem.

Good luck.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:59 PM   #5

Cleared fault. Showing nothing now. Wow. I'll keep an eye on that cap from now on. Think I will buy a spare in case the old cap needs to be replaced.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:16 AM   #6

What kind of code reader does an ISL need? My automotive code reader obviously doesn’t fit/work.
DrPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:52 AM   #7

Heartland RV Club
Thumbs up Diesel Scan Guage

On my 2014 Dutch Star I use a ScanGauge D. I installed the gauge when we picked up the coach and it has worked flawlessly since. In addition to reporting error codes, I use the gauge to provide pertinent data about my engine that I would normally have to roll through on the FL dash.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:54 AM   #8

You have to be able to read J1938 messages and connect to the SAE standard round 9-pin plug found someplace close to the driver.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:55 AM   #9

I don’t know if any consumer-level brands, though. I’ll be very interested if anyone knows of one.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:07 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The dash allows you to read the codes that the coach generates. The problem is.....the codes are Freightliner codes, not Cummins. Once you read the code from the dash, you can call Freightliner and they'll tell you what the code means.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 02:24 PM   #11
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSherwin View Post
You have to be able to read J1938 messages and connect to the SAE standard round 9-pin plug found someplace close to the driver.
Ken, I believe they are J1939 codes, not J1938. Or, have I missed something? The ScanGauge D will read J1939 codes (and J1708 too). With a discount code (readily available), it can be had for around $140.

TJ
Old 04-22-2018, 03:08 PM   #12

You are absolutely correct. It IS J1939. I was typing on my phone and didn't see the mistake. Thank you for the correction.

Tomorrow, I will contact them to see what they have to say about a Comfort Drive.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:25 PM   #13
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSherwin View Post
You are absolutely correct. It IS J1939. I was typing on my phone and didn't see the mistake. Thank you for the correction.

Tomorrow, I will contact them to see what they have to say about a Comfort Drive.
Didn't mean to be nit-picky, Ken; just wanted to be sure we were all on the same page.

Are you saying that the ScanGauge D may also show info related to Comfort Drive? That would be interesting. I know they say they can customize some special read parameters. I'll be interested in what you find out.

TJ
Old 04-22-2018, 03:27 PM   #14

That's not nit-picky at all. If we're going to put information out, it needs to be correct.

Tags
check engine light, engine, light