Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2013, 03:29 AM   #113

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
redbaron73 ... very nice. It's always neat to see an idea taken to the next level. I like the gutter idea and also see you improved on the locking pins as well. Next time I am out, will look for some of those pins as well. They look easier to use than my wooden home made ones.

BTW ... I sure like that garage your coach is coming out of. You and Ma Snart are "storing in style" ...

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2013, 05:36 AM   #114

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The pins are at tractor supply. 1/2" by 6".

As for the garage..Ma Snart still Has the ultimate. I had to pull mine out to load the 7 ft ladder and gutter, As I only have 20ft width in the RV bay.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:48 AM   #115

You guys a killing me. I just got the shelves done in the peg board bay.

Now I'm putting this mod on the big list.

Nice work.

We're about to leave FL, just have to decide if we want to look for work in IA or LA. Hopefully we'll find some on the first try, so I can do this.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #116

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
You guys a killing me. I just got the shelves done in the peg board bay.

Now I'm putting this mod on the big list.

Nice work.

We're about to leave FL, just have to decide if we want to look for work in IA or LA. Hopefully we'll find some on the first try, so I can do this.
I did the shelf last week too. That is such a great idea.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #117

Yes it is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0736.JPG
Views:	737
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	39209

I also finished cleaning up all salt and deicer that got on everything. That will be it's own thread. It's been a lot of work, but I've got everything in the engine compartment sealed up. Just a few smaller braces underneath the coach left to clean.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #118

Newmar Owners Club
Let me throw my 2 cents in on the ladder stowage. I bought the 7' double-sided rung from CW. It folds to 3 1/2" x 4 1/2" x 87". I then went to Lowes/Home Depot (can't remember which), and bought a 6" x 10' piece of PVC and two end caps. I cut the PVC to 7 1/2' and put one end cap ON. I then opened the first basement pass-thru door on the pass side and put the tube up against the wall. I then put the ladder in the tube and attached the other end cap gently. No more moving things out/in to get to the ladder any more.

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #119

I really love the projects you guys are doing. I took a forum member's advice and purchased the 7' folding ladder--very happy with it. I then built the fence post storage in the pass through bay. It came out perfect and could not be handier.
I also like the shelving solution being added but decided for my needs to use the peg board for tools. I found some locking 1/4" peg hooks on the internet and set about organizing my most used tools. I'm in that bay everyday when traveling. As I accumulate more items requiring shelves, I've got my eye on another location to add those. The fun never ends...
http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1369084117
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0074.jpg
Views:	807
Size:	379.8 KB
ID:	39216  
Old 05-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #120

Hey guys!

RedBaron73 - Very nice spin on Steve's post storage idea with the gutter inside. Thanks for posting the pictures. I have added this to my list to do! Also like the idea of putting your ladder in there. I have not seen this type of folding ladder before. At first before I saw the pictures of the ladder I was thinking "How the heck is RedBaron73 getting a ladder in there?" LOL! Now I have a folding ladder on my list as well.

Finally, What a nice looking storage garage you have! Very nice looking stone work. Very nice!!! Looks like you have a beautiful set up down there in Texas.

Also these are the first pictures I have seen of your Star. It looks awesome. I really struggled with getting your exterior paint job after seeing one at the factory. Beautiful...

PDR - Nice job on the shelf system. I am with you about my list growing faster than I can find time to check things off. As they say, I must remember to enjoy the journey, not just the final destination.

Roadweary - I may follow your idea about stowing the ladder inside a bay within the post. Nice job on the tool storage set up.

Ma Snart
Ma Snart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #121

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ma Snart - Thank you for the kind words. Nice to be a member of the "proud" owners club!
Old 05-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #122

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Today I received my upgraded PCS unit. I was able to reinstall it without any trouble. The upgrade fixed the problem I was having with the BMK interfering with the AGS.

I spoke with the owner of Precision Circuits, and he explained that the big difference in pre-upgrade vs post-upgrade is how communication works. The way the unit is shipped from Newmar, the PCS controller talks to the Magnum Inverter, and the remote talks to the PCS unit. The PCS is doing a 'relay' of all messages between the two. Works fine, until you do something silly like upgrade or add a component after market. Then it all falls apart because there is too much communication going on.

Post-Upgrade, the PCS is just another device on the bus, and is able to listen to what is going on, and then send requests.

So now when you are on 20 amp service and want to run the microwave, and you are 10 amps short, the pcs will call to the inverter to 'assist' as well as override the command from the remote for charger, either doing a setback or shutdown temporarily.

PCS is going to be delivering the new units to all manufactures with this upgrade within the next few months. So earliest you would see this factory installed is mid model year 2014, but most likely it will be a 2015 option.

If you want it now, it only took me 30 minutes to remove and another 30 to reinstall. Shipping cost me $25, and the upgrade was free from PCS.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #123
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have added all these tips & mods in QT's # 3 for members reading, you guys sure are into the enjoyment of your new coach's it makes me proud of being a Newmar owner.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #124

Did the post you bought have ovals cut outs on the sides?

Where did you find the gutter?

Getting ready add this.

We're in Gillette WY and their Home Depot doesn't have any gutter like that, the post they have in stock have large ovals in the side. Might have to check Lowe's or Menard's over in Rapid City next time we're there.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #125

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The post I got did not have holes in it prior to me drilling. I did however mess up on the first one, and chose to cover the holes with good ol duct tape.

Since your going to be putting it on the same coach, these measurements might help to see if the one you found lines up. Starting from the end that I want flush with the outer wall, I measured 4 holes, centered at 23.5", 33.5", 59.5" & 69.5".

The gutter was hard to find, as most of what I was finding was the K style, which you do not want. I got lucky, and found a piece at lowes. As long as it is normal 4" U style gutter, it will fit like a glove.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #126

Thanks.

Looks like I'll order it on line.