RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #127

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are finally headed on our first big trip in the DSDP!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1582518074.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	503.7 KB
ID:	40715  

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #128

Looks like you're set to do some biking. Where are you headed? I hope you're gone long enough to truly relax and forget about the daily grind.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original)
dpeterso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #129

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
redbaron73 ... headed to Sanibel ??

We have been gone the past several weeks in the 4018 and I need to get caught up on the forum postings. As a side note I had two (2) long driving days during the trip: 543 miles several days ago and 454 miles today. My butt is sore ... but my arms and shoulders are feeling great thanks to the comfort drive.

We are loving this coach.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2792.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	40729  
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #130

Have a safe trip. Enjoy the drive.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #131

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are headed "west" for 10 weeks. Arrived in Carlsbad tonight and will spend a few days, then "vote" the next stop. We are going to hit Seattle and Glacier for sure.

We are going to do as much trail biking as we can find and kayak where calm enough for the younger kids.

The RV drove real nice, even in strong winds. Even the dash air performed flawless.

I drove barefoot and did not have any condensation drip.

I do have a problem with my Tecma not holding water. I posted that in the RV systems, since it is not a newmar specific issue.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #132

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skmwalden View Post
redbaron73 ... headed to Sanibel ??

We have been gone the past several weeks in the 4018 and I need to get caught up on the forum postings. As a side note I had two (2) long driving days during the trip: 543 miles several days ago and 454 miles today. My butt is sore ... but my arms and shoulders are feeling great thanks to the comfort drive.

We are loving this coach.

Steve
Today was 480 miles. Same soreness in the rear, but no arm soreness. What a difference from my FW. I would be very fatigued by now.

We are going to Sanibel around sep-oct.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:39 AM   #133

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I do have a problem with my Tecma not holding water. I posted that in the RV systems, since it is not a newmar specific issue.
redbaron73 ... just read that post and am glad you found the solution. We need people like you "going ahead of us" so solutions to most problems are already worked out and posted by the time we have them!!

Thanks for posting it.

Steve
Old 06-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #134

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have to admit that being a trailblazer is not always the ideal situation. The dash air was most definitely the biggest pain in the donkey of all my issues. I am glad to have that behind me.

I am noticing a lot of movement in the full wall slide, getting in and out of driveways at some campgrounds and fuel stations, the slide moves a lot front to back. Just gotta take it slow and plan the angles. So far no damage and all works, so nothing wrong just gotta get used to it.

Driving 55 my computer reported 8.4mpg

After 250 miles I got tired of 55, so changed it to 75 and computer reported 6.5 for that leg.

Temps running 184 at speeds below 67 and 202 at 75. Outside temp was 95 at the time. So far much better temps than my old isb and much better in the hills. Still waiting for the mountains to see how the 450 does.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #135

Wow! 10 weeks! That's great! I hope your kids appreciate how lucky they are. You're creating lifetime memories that no one can put a price on. Our daughters still talk about our trips and they ended 10 years ago.
And thanks for the tip on the TECMA toilet. I've got a lot to learn.
And wow again! 75 mph! It's good to know that, if we have to, we can get along down the road at a good pace.
NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original)
dpeterso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #136

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First real chance to drive on significant grades, 7% headed to El Paso from Carlsbad. DW is doing the driving and after putting the switch into the full Jacobs brake mode, the coach needed gas to go down the hill! My wife was very impressed.

And the kids sitting at the table are able to see out the kitchen window for views. I know this had been posted before, but that is an option that should be selected. I really so no downside to this window.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:13 AM   #137

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
We are finally headed on our first big trip in the DSDP!
redbaron73 ... looks like you have been on the road for about a week now. How's it going with the DSPD?

Steve
Old 06-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #138

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are in Anaheim, CA. The DSDP has driven very nicely, with the only problem being the full wall slide. This is becoming more of a problem, so I am going to post some of my findings, and see if anyone is experiencing the same thing.

When taking some driveways that have an incline (not enough to ever drag the center or rear), the wall slide moves so much that it will "POP". The pop I describe sounds like a 2x4 being split like a toothpick. Never did find any source of this pop, other than seeing damage where it has hit the front of the coach.

The grade of these inclines is a typical grade found at many truck stops, and I handle them by taking the approach at the most conservative angle possible, but end up with the slide movement. As a result of this movement the slide topper is now stretched and sagging.

Also while extending the slide, I am getting a very odd noise of squeeking on the wood. I have been in contact with Newmar CS about this, and have a video I posted for them to look at. I am linking it here too. The slide will not extend out on its own, I have to press on it while DW operates the button. This is a new occurrence, so the soft limits on the switch should not have changed, but I have the instructions to do that reset, so I will attempt that before we leave here.

The wall slide is the only item causing me trouble, and this has been a problem for me before. I thought it was taken care of, and was blaming my dealer for operating it out of level, but now I am sure that there is more of a problem.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #139

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
redbaron73 ... that is quite a squeak. I thought I even heard a cat meow as well?

My slide also has a squeaking noise, but not as pronounced as yours. I am going to try and lubricate mine with some silicone spray and wax the end of the slides to see it that might help.

You also said that you have to push on it ... how are you pushing? In, out, up, sideways ?? Just wondering.

I have not had the popping noise (yet) and try to approach most grade changes as close to a 90 degree angle as possible to avoid the twisting effect.

Sorry you are having this issue. I constantly worry about being somewhere and having the slide just stop working and not being able to get it in. It's so big and heavy. Not sure what I would do. Please keep us posted on any findings as I am sure this might be a common issue.

Steve
Old 06-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #140

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The "meow" was my 2 year old daughter. She was ready to get out of her car seat after 5 hrs of driving.

The place I am pushing is inside the coach on the trim where there is wall behind it. I am not sure why it needs to be reset, but I have the instructions for reprogramming the motors. I am hoping this will resolve it.

As far as movement if the slide, the reference I am using is inside the coach where the lock rests against the plastic tab with 2 screws. When the slide is centered properly the lock is centered between the two screws. When it moves the lock is past the screw closest to the driver and most of the lock is not touching the plastic tab.

Has anyone else noticed the movement of this lock?